Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
SimplyBlunt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factual Quotes
    Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 1:43pm
I was reading an article online about racism in Venezuela and I came across this quote in reference to the absence of accurate potrayal of black history in Venezuelan schools:

"The textbooks refer to the black slaves. But no one is born as a slave people are enslaved. There is a difference between being a slave and being enslaved." -Jesus "Chucho" Garcia

ITA with this quote especially the part about the difference of being a slave and being enslaved. I feel many black people now are not being slaves but are mentally, socioeconomically, financially,etc. being enslaved. Any thoughts? Feel free to add other quotes that can be interpreted differently or be applied to different situations.
Sponsored Links

babelipsss View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 1:52pm
Well I have to disagree with the part about how one can't be born a slave.  If your parents are slaves then yes you can be born a slave.  The whole point of slavery is to make sure the mentality is passed down to ensure a continuous workforce.
iNFATUATE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 2:03pm
I do and don't agree with the quote.
Since the word "slave" is used so much I use it.
Noone belongs to anyone.
mediagirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by iNFATUATE iNFATUATE wrote:

Noone belongs to anyone.

I'm slightly confused by this, so my comments may be a bit off. It seems like you're trying to have a utopian view of the world and ignoring the fact that slavery still exists and people still belong to other people Confused. You not using the word "slave" won't make the situation less real.
*~Mz Diva~* View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 2:14pm

I think that you can be born enslaved.  You can't be born a slave, just like you can't be born a doctor or lawyer.  You become these things, just as you would become a slave.  You are not born and automatically say at 1 min old "I'm a slave".  No, u are taught as you get older that you are a slave and therefore end up adopting that train of thought. 

PrettyIs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 2:15pm
^^^^^^

But really no one belongs to anyone ever....but if you make someone think that they belong to you then you do. It's not utopian to me but it more psychological. Even children of slaves are not born to the "master" but to their parents but if all believe they are owned then they are. The moment that you know you belong to no one then the ending of slavery begins
iNFATUATE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by mediagirl mediagirl wrote:

Noone belongs to anyone.

I'm slightly confused by this, so my comments may be a bit off. It seems like you're trying to have a utopian view of the world and ignoring the fact that slavery still exists and people still belong to other people Confused. You not using the word "slave" won't make the situation less real.

I'm fully aware that slavery existed. Maybe you should've asked for me to elaborate before insulting my intelligence. The dictionary defines a slave as:
1. a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.
I don't believe God made anyone to BELONG to anyone else. Even though people were enslaved, or were "slaves" I don't believe anyone is the property of anyone else.
dOLLish. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 2:58pm

Noone belongs to anyone.

I'm fully aware that slavery existed. Maybe you should've asked for me to elaborate before insulting my intelligence. The dictionary defines a slave as:
1. a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.
I don't believe God made anyone to BELONG to anyone else. Even though people were enslaved, or were "slaves" I don't believe anyone is the property of anyone else.

I'm not understanding what it is you're trying to say Confused, and I'm not trying to be disrespectful or rude.

You're fully aware that slavery did infact take place, but you don't believe the enslaved people were "slaves"? 

I'm confused.  

Edited by dOLLish. - Aug 31 2008 at 2:59pm
babelipsss View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 3:02pm
MsDiva, I beg to differ.  A black child 1 minute old in 1850 was indeed a slave.  At that time he was the property of the slave master.  There was no such thing as a black parent beyond giving birth.  Family bonds were not allowed as that interupts the whole concept of slavery.
mediagirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 3:06pm

Noone belongs to anyone.

Your belief is very far from reality and it is very inaccurate.

Edited by mediagirl - Aug 31 2008 at 3:07pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic