Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Extreme hair breakage and dryness HELP!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
Winnyy18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winnyy18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme hair breakage and dryness HELP!!!!
    Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 5:05pm
OK I'm 18 years old. I've been struggling with my hair since about. The 6th grade . When I was younger I used to have long thick curly hair but I always wanted my hair to be straight like "white girls" so my mom introduced me to perms and my hair hasn't been the same ever since. I've been natural for over a year now and I've always had extreme breakage and dryness. I can't take it anymore! I was looking into Aphogee and MTG for hair growth and some natural oils to help keep my hair moisturied. If anyone out there can relate or offer some advice on how I can get my hair healthy and long SOON! :( please help!
Sponsored Links

BronxJazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BronxJazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 2:47am
When I first went natural my hair was so dry. I didn't know why. I was using the same products that I used on my relaxed hair but it just didn't work. I found out about chagrin valley shampoo bars and after a month my hair was soft and moisturized. 

I also use a great deep conditioner. I use myhoneychild honey hair mask or coconut papaya hair paste. You can't find them on the ground but some that you may be able to find on the ground are the shea moisture line of deep conditioners. Giovanni has a great deep conditioner to called smooth as silk. And aubrey organics has great deep conditioners. The gpb and honeysuckle rose are great for damaged and dry hair. 

You also need a good leave in that will moisturize your hair. Kinky curly knot today is a great one for moisture. 

You need moisture not protein. You're newly natural and your hair needs time to calm down. If you could pick up some of the products I mentioned and prepoo and deep condition with every wash. Apply a leave in and seal with any oil or butter. Your hair will stop breaking and grow in no time. It took my hair a month to get to where I wanted. So it takes time but stay consistant and you'll see results. 
Mizz_Scorpio View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mizz_Scorpio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 11:45pm
I've been having the same issues, but as of lately I'm getting it under control.

First thing, please go to a professional to have your ends trimmed. I recommend that you go to a stylist who will blow your hair out to see approximately where it needs to be cut. 

I would stay away from petroleum and mineral oil. Both of these ingredients coat that hair and do not allow moisture to enter.

Have you ever tried the L.O.C method? It's great for sealing in moisture. L.O.C stands for lotion, oil, creme. The lotion is a water-based moisturizer or leave-in conditioner of your choice. The O is an oil, and the creme is an oil-based creme or "moisturizer" (whipped shea butter, Jamaican Black Castor oil hair food). 

Protective styling is your friend! Go to YouTube to find different protective styles you can do at home. 

Do not forget to oil your scalp. I like to use a Jamaican Black Castor oil which also aids in growth.

In addition, try staying away from sulfate-shampoos and switch to co-washes or conditioning cleansers. Sulfates are harsh and they strip the hair of moisture. I only use sulfates after a long-term protective style or when trying a new hair regimen. 
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:13am
Well, first you want to look into the products you are using. Treatments and vitamins are good, but if you aren't solving the core issue, they won't change much. It seems like the problem here is moisture.

You are likely using many of the hair practices and products ideal for relaxed hair, but that just won't fly with natural hair. It seems like the cause of your breakage is dryness and hair handling. And of course the more dry your hair is, the more difficult it is to handle it, so you would encounter breakage. Like the other user said, stay away from those products that contain petroleum, and sulfates.

Oils are good agents for moisturizing, but make sure you are using them correctly. Oils themselves are not capable of moisturizing, so remember to use them to seal in moisture. Moisture would be water and waterbased products like conditioner. The LCO method is a good layering technique, but if you do it, make sure it is L.C.O, not LOC. I find that using oils as sealants is okay for set styles like twist outs, but the best thing to use is a botanical gel, without drying ingredients. A great one is kinky curly curling custard, or flaxseed gel(which can be made at home)

Other things that are important to remember is cowashing alone is not enough to clarify your hair. And with that being said, do not attempt to stop using your sulfate shampoo but continue to cowash with a silicone conditioner. You have to change to a conditioner that doesn't have those kind of ingredients, or they will build up on your hair a lot and cause dryness. Some good clarification methods are bakingsoda, applecider vinegar, and bentonite clay. Good conditioners to use as a cowash and leave in include Kinky Curly Knot Today, and Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle.

How do you handle your hair? Do you finger detangle, or use a comb? Try to wean yourself off the comb and adopt finger detangling. It is very easy to do, especially with conditioner in your hair and under the shower. Don't even attempt to dry detangle. When some one with curly hair detangles, especially with their fingers, they need to take advantage of their hair's elasticity.

Since the problem here is mainly moisture, do not try and jump into a long term protective style. These usually cause more problems because it involves going long periods of time with out effectively introducing moisture to your hair. It also coaxes buildup, and makes it hard to retain length because the tangles and brittleness afterward mean a lot of hair will be lost during detangling, and you can't even wet detangle your hair in that state. I would also not try to do a protein treatment, since protein doesn't moisturize your hair, and depending on your hair's porosity, it can become more dry.

Lastly, let me just forward you to this 5 step regimen. It is called the max hydration method. Basically this method works to remove build up and eliminate products from your regimen that cause build up, and manipulate the hair cuticles behavior to control the ideal time to apply moisture and seal. It's wash and go's but with more control as to guarantee your hair is absorbing and retaining moisture. The result is max hydration, meaning all the symptoms you have now would go away, and after awhile your hair would curl from root to tip without product, because the moisture retained in your hair's cortex would give your curls uniformity. This uniformity would prevent tangles, knots, and leave your hair soft and very easy to handle, bouncy, and length retention is a given. So in itself it becomes a protective style.

After doing it for 7 consecutive days for the first week, you will notice a complete turn around. Just make sure that before you start, if you have last used a silicone conditioner, shampoo your hair one more time, then just green house effect with no product but water until you can get the right products for the regimen. If you have any questions, just post one under the regimen post below.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937.html

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic