BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Extreme Coils: The 4c Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 27>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cuteorange View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuteorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 1:04pm
(Hi! I'm new!) I have 4C hair. Basically it looks really good (defined coils) when its wet. Then it shrinks. I did my bald chop May 27th. I will be 7 months natural (no texturizer/perm/color/heat) on December 27th of this year. My hair is everywhere from 2 1/2 to 3  inches on my head. I have a TWA. I miss the fade look for its maintenance. 

I wig it up daily because it's cold in New England now.  

Edited by cuteorange - Dec 09 2012 at 1:12pm
Sponsored Links

Pooodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

hey, pooodoll!  welcome!! :-)  how is your reggie working for you?  are you using the olive oil on the length of your hair as well?

@derri, i definitely have ssk's, but not a lot (or at least, i don't see or feel a lot).  i keep my hair in twists almost all the time so i'm sure that is why.  the more stretched you keep your hair, the less ssk's you will see - kinky hair likes to curl up with and on itself, others, and sometimes a mix of both. lol so you are going to find these knots a lot more if you do not keep your hair stretched (twists, braids, buns with twisted or braided end, blowdry, flat iron styles)....  

i think people have had some success with avoiding knots if they rock twist/braid/bantu knot outs because those are stretched styles, even though the hair is still out to mix and mingle...just not as much as rocking a wash and go....

Hey!  I don’t think the reggie I have is working....I am definitely struggling...but making small forward steps.  I think I am going to to get a sew to hold me over

I am using the olive oil on scalp and ends.

teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 2:51pm
Hey y'all I know this is long overdue, but I'm a woman of my word, and I said I'd post pics of my straightened hair. It looked really nice on day 1, it stiffened over time (I realized it's because my roots were "afroing" up haha). And it took a while for my hair to get coily again.

Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

Hey, 4Cisters. I have some wash and go questions and I would appreciate your insight.

Do any of you do wash and go's? If so, are they cute in your opinion? Would love to know if you do it on wet, damp, or dry hair? In small or big sections? Which product gives you the best results? Do you put on any leave ins before the gel? Any oils or moisturizer after?

Thanks!

"4Cisters" that's cute haha. I've been meaning to do a wash and go after I saw some ladies on another hair forum claiming they accomplished WNGs on their 4c hair.

Originally posted by mediagirl mediagirl wrote:

Originally posted by Soratachi Soratachi wrote:

Originally posted by mediagirl mediagirl wrote:

Fellow 4cs what do you think?

Hmmm a WASH & GO on 4b/c hair is a fro LOL 

But we do have a curl but it's normally the size of the tip of a pen.

ikr? Imagine waking up on monday for work to do a "wash n go" that takes 1 hour without washing + conditioning time. LOL

I don't know how many pictures we can show to make some people finally get what type 4c hair is like. 

This will be my last attempt. Tongue All my strands are individuals, and their coil/curl pattern varies. Here are some relatively tiny coils, placed next to a spring I took out of a pen.

teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 3:12pm
I think the best thing I did for my hair health was focusing on my specific hair type. I did a lot of research for 4C hair and a lot of 4Cisters were ravinga bout Qhemet Biologics. They recommend products by type, and YES they included 4C hair: http://www.qhemetbiologics.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=22
I got the Detangling Ghee and Aethiopika Butter, they're on the the expensive side, but worth it!

I'm still tweaking my regimen because I have persistent breakage. It was especially noticeable once I straightened my hair. As of now this is what I do about every wk:
1) Detangle slightly dampened hair coated in Detangling Ghee with a wide tooth comb. Twist once detangled
2)Shampoo with diluted shampoo in an old plastic water bottle. Rub twists/scalp.
3)Pour diluted Aussie Moist over strands. THis is the hard part because the condish never completely dissolves
4)Towel dry. Untwist and rub Aethiopika Butter. Braid.

I may try an Aphogee treatment to see if it helps with breakage. This routine isn't quick (imo) but very easy. Too bad my hair's still breaking lol
Originally posted by KFORKARESS KFORKARESS wrote:

I also had to adjust my brain that my hair doesnt have to be 100% detangled and it wont be bc its curly!

Clap Yep we should focus on preventing dreads and not necessarily separating each strand. I do put extra effort into detangling the roots, because this affects the outcome of twist/braidouts.
wanderlust87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 7:34pm
@teendiva - nice hair photo & thanks for updating your thread.   Hope the QB makes your hair maintenance  easier.

This is 1 of the few natural threads w many lurkers - proves this topic isStarStarStarStarStarStar
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 8:44pm
I like your straightened hair TD!!!
I want to see you with a twistout! Big smile

Hair update: Well the winters where I live are harsh as heck, so I've been protective styling my hair since November.

I started out with Senegalese twists, but I grew tired of them quickly because the weren't tight enough and my hair just ended up looking sloppy. So I've been wearing a wig and cornrows underneath.

I deep condition every two weeks, and oil my scalp daily. I'll spray my hair with a liquid leave in often as well, to keep it soft.

I recently started to do Henna Glosses, so I'll be doing them every week for the next 8 weeks. Still in cornrows under my wig, and oiling my scalp daily. My 2 year mark is coming up in the summer and I'm trying to grow and retain as much as I can. I feel like my hair is not growing fast enough though.

I'm also on the hunt for a really good daily moisturizer.

AmberColour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberColour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 6:29pm
Hey, I'd like to give a little input on the wash and go thing.
Now, I don't subscribe to hairtyping but my hair is very, very coily/kinky especially on the back part of my head.

Now, I would not wash-and-go often when my hair was longer, but the trick to getting my hair to wash-and-go...
I had to prepare it at night before going to bed, kind of like how naptural85 (she has a video on it) does it.

I put my hair in 6 fat braids and I used (TOOONNNNS of it)conditioner instead of gel.
The braids help to keep your hair stretched and add a little bit of weight to your hair (with the conditioner) 

I covered my hair with 2 baggies so the conditioner would not be everywhere and I would be comfortable while sleeping

Here's how it would turn out

It did shrink as the day went on, but not by too much.

I hope it will help.Thumbs Up

afrikan gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrikan gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 8:01pm

darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 10:14pm

Hi!! 4C checking in (i think) All i know is that i CAN NOT let my hair airdry and i have sooooo many knots at the end of my hair (maybe its the relaxed ends?) Im am in month 22 of my transition to natural hair. This is my hair after I washed, conditioned, deep conditioned and then blowdried and then put on flexi rods. I blowdried on a low setting.
Seems as though blowdrying is the only way to handle my hair and the ends... I feel like I'm always detangling.. anyone else feel this way? I detangle when i shampoo and then when I condition, and then when I deep condition... Am i doing something wrong?

My hair looks dry but it feels good. 
I guess I do not have a shine to my hair.
Is there a way to make it shine? Am i possibly doing something wrong?

Just checking in to share

Darlinnic
neverjaded View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverjaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:08pm
This thread is great! I have to finish reading all 20 pages. I'm 2 years natural and for this winter I've been wearing head warps and beanies for protective styles because what some may consider protective styling just dont work for my beautiful hair. I can put 1 finger in my hair and a strand will break off and or I'd have a lil hair in my hand.

What products or methods you ladies use for strengthening your hair?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 27>