BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Extreme Coils: The 4c Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 27>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 2:29pm
I really do not have an issue with my natural hair breaking. My relaxed hair broke at times, but my natural hair is pretty strong. The only time it snaps is if tangled in a brush or comb. I do still have an issue with single strand knots, however. Sigh.

Anyway, there are some options: try using a protein spray daily. Aphogee makes one, CHI makes one, and there are lots of others on the market.
Or... Do a weekly light protein deep condition to build strength, then you can ease up on it as your hair gets stronger. There are lots of them on the market, I really like Joico K-Pak under heat. It strengthens, yet my hair doesn't feel hard from the protein.

Of course there is Aphogee 2 min which is great! Also moisturizing, yet strengthening.
And if you want hardcore strength, there is the Aphogee 2 Step treatment. I haven't used it much since going natural, but I loved it as a relaxed head.

darlinnic
Your hair looks so thick and nice. I don't like to blow dry my hair because it seems to suck all of the moisture out. I air dry soaking wet hair, detangled and moisturized in twists or plaits. When dry, I'll undo the twists or plaits and then style if I want. If I'm wearing my hair out, I'll prep my style as my hair is soaking wet, and let it set that way. So when I wear twist outs and braid outs, I do them on sopping wet hair.

Highly textured 4C hair tend to not shine unless stretched. My twists shine, my braids shine, but my fro doesn't really shine because it is too textured to reflect light in one direction. It used to bother me, but I'm a year and a half into my natural journey and I have fully accepted my hair. I don't force it to do things that are not in it's nature to do. If I want my hair to look shiny and still be textured, I know I'll have to do a twist out or braid out. 

Just my two cents.

I really want to post pics of my hair but I'm trying to keep them in these plaits and wig cap all winter. Sigh.
On the weekend I shall post pics of my treatment.

Edited by Derri - Feb 12 2013 at 2:30pm
Sponsored Links

teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Dragonwell Dragonwell wrote:

Im just new here and i cant post a topic so can anyone please help me , 

I have very very dry 4b hair , i currently use african pride olive miracle leave in conditioner , sometimes i use it several times and still my hair feels dry !   So heres my question which are probably easy to answer 

-  When i massage my leave in conditioner on my hair after showering in the morning , Is it wise to add olive oil into your hair in the afternoon ? Should i first wash off the leave in conditioner that i already put on in the morning ? 

Maybe you should check the ingredient list to see if the leave-in has any drying ingredients? Leaving the olive oil in should be fine.

Originally posted by jasijou jasijou wrote:

Oh man...a whole thread on 4C hair and I get not one mention. I must do better. 
Has no one seen my YouTube page??

Aside from me. I believe Dawnyele was the only other regular poster on 4C hair. 
There's a few other popular vloggers who claim to have 4c, and while I'm not attached to this whole hair typing system...I don't think their hair is that coarse. 

GeriMUA recently started a YouTube, she also a blog http://geraldinethegreat.blogspot.com/
She has SUPER LONG 4C hair and I love following her on Instagram. It's the longest i have seen. 

Also I would recommend reading DarkerThanBrown's blog (www.darkerthanbrown.com) she goes into good detail about how she handles her 4C hair. 

I do mostly style videos and I wear my hair curly for the most part and during the winter time cause I have no time to deal with moisturizing my hair everyday and conditioning every 3 days, I make wigs that I wear. 

Thanks for all the infoClap

Originally posted by missserious757 missserious757 wrote:

@Teendiva, have tried any other product lines other than Shea Moisture? I have '4c' hair with no real defined curl pattern and had no luck with the Shea Moisture line. My hair texture is very similar to yours....I use a product line by Donna Marie...I use the Dream Curl Cream and the MiraCurl Curling Gelly and my twists outs are the bomb.com....those are a few of my staple products for styling...my top styling line is by Entwine Naturalle Couture...hope this helps.

This thread helped me realize that products are a crucial part of the hair regimen. Thanks for the suggestions!
teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 2:39pm
Derri, have you tried using Care Free Curl Gold spray as your daily moisturizer? It works really well for me. It says it's a scalp spray as well so I spray it on my scalp. The winter has my scalp sooo dry and flaky and this never happened to me beforeDead Maybe I should drink more water.
And the wig protective styling sounds like a good idea. My hair has been out for way too long, and I don't care for it nearly enough lol.
I never wear my twistouts completely out. I pull my hair back into a "puff" of sorts (but I don't pick it out).

darlinicc, My hair is surprisingly shiny, and not just "sheen." Like Derri said, you can see the shine in twistouts but not a fro. I'm not sure if that's just its nature or if it's one of the products I use. Your hair (rollerset) looks shiny to me.

neverjaded, for strengthening, I do an Aphogee once in a while. It seems to work when my hair feels mushy and weak.

I can't remember the exact thread I was reading about 4c WNGs. I think it was this one:http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/styling-natural-hair/22190-4c-hair-type-wngs-post382793.html#post382793

Crimsonpeach writes, "I don't typically do wash and go's anymore because of the shrinkage results in detangling hell.

Shingling doesn't work but shaking does. I wash and condition (Aussie Moist). Add curl activator and a gel on soaking wet hair. Go back in the shower and shake my head until my head hurts lol.
"
It looks like it's possible to achieve, but not worth the headache, pun intended.

Edited by teendiva - Feb 13 2013 at 2:40pm
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2013 at 10:26pm
hi, 4cisters...question for you ladies: does anyone do the CG method?  or the tightly curly method where you leave in your conditioner?  

i realize that i am a modified CG - the only thing from the CG method that i do not do is i do not leave rinse out conditioner in my hair....does anyone do this?  if so, what are your results?  do you still use oils and butters afterwards?

i'm CG b/c unlike TC method, i do not use silicones in my conditioner. 

Edited by Heavy Rotation - Feb 25 2013 at 9:49am
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2013 at 11:39pm
I think I'ma 4c. But my hair is do short right now that I have no lenght only very tight curls on my fade. I have fume hair with low density idk..... we'll see as I grow it out
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2013 at 5:45pm
I've used Wave Nuveau Spray when I was relaxed and really liked it. Haven't used it  nor the care free curl gold since being natural.

I was really interested in the Elasta QP mango butter since so many ppl rave about it, so I bought it.
I love how my hair feels and looks the next day, but it doesn't loosen tangles and soften my hair right when I apply it, and that is what I am looking for. Other than that, I really do like it.

I've been using the Garnier Fructis leave in, and I love how thick and creamy it is, yet it softens my hair right away so that I can avoid any knots and tangles. I don't know, I guess I'll keep looking though.

I've been doing henna glosses weekly, and my hair absolutely loves it. Last week I ran out of henna and was too lazy to run up to the store to get some more, so I did a hot oil treatment and then DC'd over night.

After I rinsed the DC out, I did an ACV rinse which made a noticeable difference.

I'm still oiling my scalp daily, and I've decided to spray my twists with a water/aloe juice/oil mist everyday as well.

I know what my hair likes and what it doesn't like, and I give it what it needs.

HHG ladies.

ETA: No, I do not leave rinse out conditioner in my hair. When I rinse out my conditioner, I apply my thick creamy conditioner to my sopping wet hair  then let it dry a bit. Then I section it off and apply detangler, do twists, applying more creamy leave in to each piece that I twist. I find I don't need to leave any conditioner in my hair.

Edited by Derri - Feb 25 2013 at 5:53pm
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2013 at 11:46pm
^^^ thanks!  i use a leave in right now, but will be trying the leaving in rinse out conditioner approach for the next month to see how it works out.
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2013 at 12:16pm
NOT SURE IF THIS IS 4C OR NOT........IDK

Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2013 at 7:23pm

You don't have a lot of hair yet, but you don't look like a 4C to me.
You have a defined curl pattern.

Edited by Derri - Feb 26 2013 at 7:25pm
tmrockville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmrockville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2013 at 8:23pm
IA and nice curl pattern
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 27>