BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Extreme Coils: The 4c Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme Coils: The 4c Challenge
    Posted: May 17 2012 at 3:54pm

I have been natural for almost 2 years now, and I am grazing APL. Without protective styling, I'd probably be bald because I have no clue how to manage my loose afro hair. It is frustrating to put time into my hair to still have breakage, and on top of that, not even like the hairstyle in the end.Ouch I have scoured blackhairmedia.com-- and the internet for that matter-- to no avail. Many popular techniques simply don’t work for me. I know I’m not alone, although I get the feeling that many of my fellow “4c” ladies may have thrown in the towel.

“4c” hair is usually described as hair with no curls. This may be confusing since, in reality, 4c strands are probably the curliest on the planet.

From afar, you can’t make out the coils.

Up close, you can spot coils as small as a spring you’d find in a pen. The tightness and width of my coils vary greatly, but they are all relatively small.

My nape is 4a/b. Compare the hair near my fingers in the picture below, to the rest of the 4c hair in the picture. See the difference?

I’m not good with taking pics. If you have pics that capture the texture of 4c better, post them!

Goals of this thread:

Reveal the beauty of 4c hair

Create easy-to-do hairstyles

Discuss products and techniques that do or don’t work for you

Build a dependable regimen

Figure out the best methods for detangling and breakage prevention

Offer support and advice

NOT goals:

A debate between good hair and bad hair

Exclusion of other hair types. If you are 2c but have a daughter, sister, etc with 4c and can offer some insight, please do!

Once you complete the goals of the thread, you complete the challenge!!Star There is no set end date, so go at your own pace.

So let the challenge begin!Party You can: introduce yourself, post a hair pic/vid, share any knowledge you have gained, ask a question, vent, rave, etc.

Edited by teendiva - May 17 2012 at 3:56pm
Sponsored Links

teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 4:01pm
What hair styles do y'all wear on a daily basis? My go to hairstyle used to be the puff. But now I'm starting to think it's unflattering on me...
Now I've been trying a slightly stretched afro with the sides pinned back a little. I pin back the sides with large clips.

I like it but I suspect it's causing my hair to tangle more than usual.
Emily Loretta View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Emily Loretta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 4:39pm
actually id say ur more 4b with 4a and 3c mixed in, 4b is often confused for 4c, but the main difference is the "POOF" effect that 4c naturals have like grows up straight up afros like from the '70s afros,... check out this hair chart to identify your hair type http://www.naturallycurly.com/pages/hairtypes/type4#type-4c

good luck on your challenge though Smile

modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 10:19pm
I'm 4a/4b but I have to ask, do you attempt twist outs at all?

For me, yes I do have a great natural curl pattern, but since the curl pattern changes willy nilly throughout my hair, and I get extreme shrinkage in some parts, I can't do WNGs. So for me, I HAVE to do a twist out or some styling method if I intend to wear my hair natural without heat. I suggest trying a good twist out or bantu knot out style and see if you like it.

Your frustration might come from the fact that you're trying to force your hair to be a WNG type when for your lifestyle/personality/hairstyle goals/etc it's never going to be that.

I meant to add, in my avi that's a 2 strand twist out set on bantus. I only do them overnight but with some flaxseed gel (that I make myself), they pretty much last me 5 - 7 days with pineappling overnight.

Edited by modelbusiness82 - May 17 2012 at 10:20pm
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 10:23pm
5 star thread Teendiva. Cool

luxury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote luxury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 10:36pm
I think i've come to the conclusion that my 4c hair hates oxygen.Dead

if i leave it out in the open, no matter what, its hard and 'konki' within an hr or 2.  And my scalp hurts just trying to comb it out.....
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 8:56am
Even with twist and braids you are not seeing satisfactory results?  
mstinycurls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstinycurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 9:31am
Originally posted by luxury luxury wrote:

if i leave it out in the open, no matter what, its hard and 'konki' within an hr or 2.  And my scalp hurts just trying to comb it out.....

LOLLOL I have the same problem.  It gets dry and hard fast.  It's crazy.
teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by luxury luxury wrote:

LOL
That's one of my biggest goals. Figuring out how to KEEP the hair stretched. Our hair really fights back against being stretched. Plus the shrinkage is crazy! It took me so long to realize that despite all the twists I would make, my hair was basically shrinking all the way back.  We need to find an industrial gel  that'll really hold the hair lol.

teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

I'm 4a/4b but I have to ask, do you attempt twist outs at all?

For me, yes I do have a great natural curl pattern, but since the curl pattern changes willy nilly throughout my hair, and I get extreme shrinkage in some parts, I can't do WNGs. So for me, I HAVE to do a twist out or some styling method if I intend to wear my hair natural without heat. I suggest trying a good twist out or bantu knot out style and see if you like it.

Your frustration might come from the fact that you're trying to force your hair to be a WNG type when for your lifestyle/personality/hairstyle goals/etc it's never going to be that.

I meant to add, in my avi that's a 2 strand twist out set on bantus. I only do them overnight but with some flaxseed gel (that I make myself), they pretty much last me 5 - 7 days with pineappling overnight.

I haven't done a wash and go in I don't know how long. Not only because I don't like the look (basically looks like I have a TWA) but also the inevitable tangled mess.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>