Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Exercise teaching white students about racism...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exercise teaching white students about racism...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exercise teaching white students about racism...
    Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 9:37am

I found the video interesting...

I Never Thought I'd Want To High-Five A Teacher For Yelling At A Student, But I Was Wrong

I know this is on the long-ish side, but I promise that there's a really valuable message here that makes it worth watching all the way through.

Jane Elliot is a teacher and diversity trainer who developed the "Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes" exercise to teach students what it feels like to be a person of color. This video begins pretty abruptly, where one of the students who's been singled out based on eye color is extremely frustrated.

At 2:46, Elliot explains why she keeps going even after she's made the point. At 3:35, she delivers an important message. And at 10:05, you may laugh a little, but I think you'll really get it.

Many years ago, I could have been the girl who walked out, not understanding how this feels to the people it affects. I'm glad that's no longer the case.

A partial transcript from a very powerful portion of the video, beginning at 3:19:

Elliot: “No. You don’t come back in here until you’ve apologized to every person in this room because you just exercised a freedom that none of these people of color have. When these people of color get tired of racism, they can’t just walk out because there’s no place in this country where they aren’t going to be exposed to racism. They can’t even stay in their own homes and not be exposed to racism if they turn on their television. But you, as a white female, when you get tired of being judged and treated unfairly on the basis of your eye color, you can walk out that door, and you know it won’t happen out there. You exercised a freedom they don’t have. If you’re going to be in here, you’re going to apologize to every black person in this room. And do it now ... and every person of color.”

Student: “I’m sorry there’s racism in this country..."

Elliot: “Bullsh*t! No, you’re not going to say ‘I’m sorry there’s racism.’ You’re going to apologize for what you just did.”

Student: “I will not apologize because it’s not a matter of race always...”

Elliot: “Out.”

Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 11:15am
smh @ all the white tearsLOL
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 11:35am
That was powerful.  Yt people never get confronted about racism in this way.  I wish there was more of this at the age where it would make a powerful difference.   I was glad to see the black and latino students walk away from this exercise understanding their own power in a new way.  
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 11:37am
I posted this a while back. She also does one with adults and with children. 
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 11:40am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

smh @ all the white tearsLOL

Man, we all saw that coming a mile away. Their favorite tactic. I was just waiting for the lip quiver and the waterworks LOLLOLLOL
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 11:54am
It always angers me to no end when white people talk about being color blind. The fact that they can't see why this would anger a poc only deepens the anger.

I'm thankful for teaching like this but it feels like it will never truly get across to white people. Feels like it'll simply be an endless cycle of whites not recognizing privilege and ignoring any bit of advice or teaching that corrects their unjustified acceptance of a color-blind/post racial society.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Nov 13 2013 at 11:56am
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 12:15pm
So true Random.  If nothing else it should show the black/latino kids that all of the kumbaya sh*t was bullsh*t.  Yt "friends" they thought were cool really don't get it.  I love how the black girl said all the "sh*t" I have to go through everyday.   She will not grow up to be one of those black people pulling out her cape every time yt ppl do something stupid.  Trying to help everyone else rationalize why Trayvon should have chosen different apparel to decrease his chances of being shot. 

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Nov 13 2013 at 12:16pm
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 12:27pm
The irony in this is that professor is exercising white privilege, too--it's just a lot less subtle. And I know she knows it, too. She seems to have an amazing grasp on the subject.

Had that same speech reprimanding that privileged crybaby been given by a black woman, no one would give it any credence. The video would not be as popular as it is. People would not be wanting to high five her. They would tell her she needs to stop expecting the world to lower the bar for her or to stop making the present generation of white people pay for the debts of their ancestors because we clearly live in an era where race is no longer a burdensome issue. They would say her points are invalid because she never experienced slavery. Oh, but because an older white woman is giving the spiel, all of a sudden people see the light.

It's so sad, this country. 
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 12:31pm
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 12:32pm
Very true femmemichelle.

A black person gives this abrasive lesson, and they are condemned as angry black people that can't get points across in a 'civilized' manner.

I always wrestle with it. Black people come up with these arguments and express them beautifully, but the sad truth remains that it might not ever get across until a white person is articulating it. Black people talking about race in 2013 is almost collectively dismissed by people because we "need to get over it" and "need to stop making excuses" and "blacks think everything is racist" and "Obama is President", rinse and repeat.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Nov 13 2013 at 12:34pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>