Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Wigs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Embarrassed: Wearing wigs w/ a roommate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Embarrassed: Wearing wigs w/ a roommate
    Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 6:42pm
So I made a wig this summer and I wore it everyday I went out. Well, I don't want to get a sew in because I can't afford it and don't feel like removing the hair from my wig that I made, but I haven't been wearing it because I have a roommate (& suite mates) and since it is a wig you have to take it off and put it on, so I'm embarrassed. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am. Does anyone wear wigs in college and have a roommate, did she ever ask, or give you weird looks... I feel like she'll be judging me. 
Sponsored Links

TOUSHA11 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOUSHA11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 7:04pm
People will Judge you regardless. You only get one life you should not have to be uncomfortable to please others.You have to be comfortable with yourself if you like the way you look and like wearing the WIG then do it. I do not have a roommate But I have taken my WIGS off around Guys and I do not care if they judge me who cares as long as I am comfortable I do not care.
Hopealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 7:57pm
everyone maybe judged by others, the most important is not the judging but depends on our thought.
csungrl09 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csungrl09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 8:55pm
i'm guessing your roommate isn't black.

i have had roommates for 4 years & been wearing my wigs proudly.
(most of my roommates were black though)

alot of people actually think wigs are cool. you just never know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by csungrl09 csungrl09 wrote:

i'm guessing your roommate isn't black.

i have had roommates for 4 years & been wearing my wigs proudly.
(most of my roommates were black though)

alot of people actually think wigs are cool. you just never know!

She's not. If she was I probably wouldn't care as much. 

Maybe I'll start wearing it again, I know I really shouldn't care, but I already tried, I came to school the first day and took my wig off secretly, but I was too embarrassed to put it on the next day. All my friends thought I just took my sew in out, but I'm sure my roommate knew it was a wig. 

I don't really care when people know if I wear sew in extensions, but there's this whole other stigma with wearing wigs (which I don't understand at all).

I've recently went natural so my hair is short (although I've always been a sew in every two months girl, even when relaxed but it's harder now that I'm broke, in college, and in the suburbs) and I feel so uncomfortable w/ short hair. I feel like long hair makes my face look better. 

sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 7:22am
I can totally relate, I KNOW....I say it again, I KNOW...I look more attractive when I have a more flashy longer hair style.  That is what life has taught me, I have to know and understand what looks best on ME.  Some people look great with locks/short afros, etc...my facial structure, requires me to put effort into my appearance and I have learned to do things that make me look my best.

How about looking around at your school for any african braiders or braiders period who could possibly do your hair.  What I Recently did was do individuals in the front, and wear my wig in the back.    Let me clearly explain...

The first 2 inches are individuals (I bought cheap hair - 2 packs - need 1 1/2 at most)
       : just make sure same color as wig, if loose curl wig then buy body wave or loose curl hair

The back is just six big braids
Then in the moring, I attach my half wig with pins to the back
And put the individuals straight back over the hair.
Then I just pin up the middle or wear it all straigh back with a scruchie.

Maybe you could get some braids, even if you did feed braids and had it done in a bun.  That would last for several weeks and you would not have to be as embarrased.  That is why I decided to put braids in the front of my wig, I can wear my wig longer, my edges get a break.

Well I hope these ideas help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:

I can totally relate, I KNOW....I say it again, I KNOW...I look more attractive when I have a more flashy longer hair style.  That is what life has taught me, I have to know and understand what looks best on ME.  Some people look great with locks/short afros, etc...my facial structure, requires me to put effort into my appearance and I have learned to do things that make me look my best.

How about looking around at your school for any african braiders or braiders period who could possibly do your hair.  What I Recently did was do individuals in the front, and wear my wig in the back.    Let me clearly explain...

The first 2 inches are individuals (I bought cheap hair - 2 packs - need 1 1/2 at most)
       : just make sure same color as wig, if loose curl wig then buy body wave or loose curl hair

The back is just six big braids
Then in the moring, I attach my half wig with pins to the back
And put the individuals straight back over the hair.
Then I just pin up the middle or wear it all straigh back with a scruchie.

Maybe you could get some braids, even if you did feed braids and had it done in a bun.  That would last for several weeks and you would not have to be as embarrased.  That is why I decided to put braids in the front of my wig, I can wear my wig longer, my edges get a break.

Well I hope these ideas help.

Thanks for the ideas. My wig is not a half wig though, it's a full w/ bangs that I made.
I did have box braids, but they were annoying, hard to sleep in and fit under a shower cap, and I couldn't leave them in longer than a month and a week because my hair grew and I don't like that look, plus they were still hurting especially when I had to put it in a bun to sleep. But yeah, they looked okay, but I'm not really a braids person. I did get my hair braided by a Haitian girl on campus. She doesn't know how to do sew ins unfortunately and I can't find anyone else that does. 
Hawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 4:52pm
can stitch your wig to your head for a week or so at time?

or start leaving hair wefts out, if you have any spare, its likely she will ask if you wear extensions tell her yea, clip ins and if she asks anymore just state you braid the base as the method you use to clip them in..

or alternatively tell her its a wig in Eurocentric terms by saying its Halo extensions

Im at university and I play rugby and my upart came off clean as in i was left in my stocking cap and had to walk to get it back.. my team mates where like "oh no your weave"Ermm lol i put it back on, on the pitch and we carried on. sometimes i wear my layered u-part, other times i wear long sewins, i think they notice, normally they just say it looks nice or they tell me they like my hair. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Hawk Hawk wrote:

can stitch your wig to your head for a week or so at time?

or start leaving hair wefts out, if you have any spare, its likely she will ask if you wear extensions tell her yea, clip ins and if she asks anymore just state you braid the base as the method you use to clip them in..

or alternatively tell her its a wig in Eurocentric terms by saying its Halo extensions

Im at university and I play rugby and my upart came off clean as in i was left in my stocking cap and had to walk to get it back.. my team mates where like "oh no your weave"Ermm lol i put it back on, on the pitch and we carried on. sometimes i wear my layered u-part, other times i wear long sewins, i think they notice, normally they just say it looks nice or they tell me they like my hair. 

Unfortunately I don't know how to braid. I tried to have my sister braid my hair yesterday, but since I'm natural now it was hard and it hurt really bad so I just threw my hair in some mini twists and put on my stocking cap. 

I think I'll just have to man up, and if she asks me, I'll just say I was tired of short hair or something. 
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 9:17pm
maybe you can go do your hair somewhere else and then just come home
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>