Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedEczema Scalp, UUHHGGGG!!

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
msfirefly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eczema Scalp, UUHHGGGG!!
    Posted: Aug 10 2012 at 7:44pm
My daughter is 4 yo and was diagnosed with sensitive scalp dermatitis (eczema). She has dry patches throughout her scalp and at times scratches it until it bleeds. I do everything imaginably possible to get her some relief.  She has been prescribed Nitroziol shampoo, Zyrtec (daily) and Benendryl (as needed). None of this seems to even help. I oil her scalp with 100% Coconut Oil or sometimes 100% Olive Oil and she still scratches. I've learned that she can not handle any thing with Tea Tree (shampoo, conditioner, pomade) at all. I also use Dove conditioner with Nurti-oils and that seems to do well. I also try to keep her hair in cornrows when she's having a flare.
    So please anyone if you have any hair care suggestions/tips/ideas on what I can use (preferably natural). Please help me so I can help my baby girl. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links

ilovepink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 1:49pm
You definitely don't want her having cornrows, the pulling will make the eczema worse.. her hair should be loose.  Best shampoo for eczema is Nizoral or you can use baby shampoo. You could also ask her pediatrician to prescribe a topical fungal creme but you should definitely take those cornrows out of her hair.. 
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2012 at 9:22am
I would suggest black soap. Not the ones sold in the BSS, but real black soap. Its brown in color and if your around any African owned jewlery or wooden art stores, you should be able to find it. I found my African Soap Pusher at the Flea Market.  The Balck soap is very pliable.

You can take a nice sized amount and add water to liquify the soap and apply to her scalp. Waring: it may tingle upon application, but bc its diluted with water, you may not experience the tingle. But, first time users w/o the dilution usually feel the tingle. I know I did. I had excezma on my neck, behind my ears, my arms and back a few years back. Nothing really got rid of it except the Balck soap.The dead skin will literally fall off when you exfoliate the area.It can be drying and will make the skin feel tight, but once you add a nice moisturizer to the area, the tightness recedes as well as the drying. I use it now primarily for my face and neck/ It has even out my skin tone as well.  HTH ya little one!
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2012 at 11:22pm
I know Milk of Magnesia is very good for eczema, but don't know how you could possibly apply it to her scalp.Hope she gets better soon. The Black Soap sounds like it will help. SOME Beauty Supply Stores carry the real Black Soap. It will be in a clear wrapper and looks a little like a rectangular Little Debbie oatmeal cookie,lol. def not Ambi or in a box.
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2012 at 2:35pm
wow your little girl's hair sounds so much like my husband's scalp condition! 
he's got psoriasis and it flares in patches that come and go, like what you've described. his hair is so healthy, full and lush that when it gets to about half an inch the patches can't be seen anyway. but come haircut time, they're out in plain sight. he uses a medicated shampoo that's like 12 bucks for this tiny little bottle, and i imagine that it would probly work if he used it regularly instead of just once a week. the only thing i can suggest from our experience is that you try to wash her hair once every 2-3 days in medicated shampoo that's for eczema. i know people with scalp conditions are advised by doctors to do so, to keep the skin relieved. piling substances like oil and grease on top of it can only exacerbate the condition in many cases. 
dashi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2012 at 4:59pm
@luv I followed your advice and I'm using the black soap for my children my lilttle girl had eczema on her hand, it doesn't seem to do anything but boy it's the best for hair. Her hair felt so silky after lathering this soap is so moisturizing without the build up. I bought mine from BSS I will try to get the one I recommended and we might have better luck with her skin.

It works pretty well for my son who has no skin problems.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 3:44pm
I would use shampoos that does not contains any sulfates (i.e. sodium laurel sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, ammonium laurel sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulate, etc).  That will help not dry her scalp out.  I wonder if she is reacting to nuts, tree nuts or soybeans?  Maybe start using some sunflower seed oil or safflower oil?  Use those oils as a preshampoo treatment and then shampoo after 30 minutes in her hair.
waveyrus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2012 at 12:24am
My husband had the same thing, and everything the doctor gave him did not work, finally he listened to me and the patches have never return. First off I would stop using oils completely, the oils are blocking moisturizes not providing moisture. I brought some Care Free Curl Activator and added more Glycerine to it. He put this on his scalp and forehead 3X a day, and about 3 weeks later the dry patches were completely gone. He now uses it once a day and the diagnosed eczema (something he has had his whole life) has never came back.  I don't understand why people suggest oils for dry skin when we know oils are not moisturizing? Oils are only going to make the skin temporarily look better while doing more harm.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic