Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Exercise, Fitness, & Health > Eating Healthy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eating Healthy With Food Alergies

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
lilnu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilnu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eating Healthy With Food Alergies
    Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 11:34am
I recently found out that I was allergic to a lot of different foods. Most were foods that I ate every day. I was having unexplained hives and random attacks of itchiness. I thought it was something I was coming in contact with. Fragrance in products normally causes this to happen to me, but I am very careful of what I put on my skin so I knew something else was wrong. I went to my doctor and was tested for food allergies. They did the skin tests, put me on an elimination diet and did blood tests. So far the only food that I have been able to add back with no reaction is tomatoes. The problem is I feel like I'm not eating enough now, at my last visit they also said that I was anemic again. I don't know what to do and I don't think my health insurance will cover a nutritionist or dietitian. I'm allergic to shrimp, peanuts, bananas, oats, wheat, cashews and almonds (dr. told me to avoid all tree nuts), rice, soy, and tomatoes. I ate oatmeal and bananas everyday for breakfast up until December. Now I just don't eat breakfast at all, or I eat Kix cereal. I just switched from Almond milk to lactose free cow's milk so I may just start eating the cereal every day for breakfast. I find that I am weak and irritable everyday and I don't know what to do. I don't eat a lot of meat just because I don't care for it. I mostly ate pastas, rice or pb&j sandwich for lunch things like that. If anyone has any advice on dealing with food allergies I would greatly appreciate it. 
Sponsored Links

dOLLish. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dOLLish. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 10:30am
Hug  I have multiple food allergies, so I feel your pain and understand your frustration.

One thing that you'll learn is substitution is your friend!  You can try quinoa in place of rice and I believe you can eat it as a hot cereal. I also believe quinoa makes pasta noodles, but I'm not 100% sure. You can eat other fruits for breakfast (e.g., strawberries, blueberries, etc.).  You can try gluten free bread; however, since you have an allergy to oats I would definitely advise you to read the backs of labels.

I haven't mastered eating with multiple allergies.  It's hard.  What I do is, find "safe" foods and stick with that.  You can also try eating smaller meals (even if it's the same thing) and eating more frequently.

What types of foods do you eat?  I know that I'm a very picky eater.  In addition to my nine known allergies, there are some foods that I just don't like.  That makes eating much more challenging because it's hard to find things that are completely allergen free that also only have things that I like in them.

lilnu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilnu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 8:47pm
Thanks for responding. I'm sorry I'm late and just now seeing. I have been shopping at Whole Foods more. I can't eat most of the gluten free foods because of the rice and oats they use to substitute for the wheat. I have found the Enjoy Life brand and I can eat some of their products but the ones I was eating before had rice and my doctor told me to stop eating them. Some of their other products just don't taste good. I'm like you I don't like a lot of foods. For instance I like strawberry flavor but I don't like the seeds on the outside. I like grapes but not the "skin" on the outside. I have to peel them and its too much work for breakfast in the morning.

I tried to cook some quinoa and it did not turn out right. It was still hard. I think my biggest problem is that I don't know how to cook. I've mostly been eating corn based cereal. I feel like I eat too much corn. At work instead of cashews, now it's popcorn. I have started eating salads more often. I think once I get over feeling deprived I will be better. My co-workers are just always eating cake, cookies, having pot lucks, and going out for lunch. And people close to me don't believe in food allergies. It makes me feel like an outcast.

I talked to my allergist and I found a nutritionist that takes patients for food allergies. I had called several other places and they said they only do weight loss Cry I'm losing enough weight on my own. I'm sorry this is so long I'm just glad someone responded and understands what I'm going through because none of my friends or family do. 
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 11:47pm
Are you allergic to beans and dairy?
lilnu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilnu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2013 at 8:00pm

Surprisingly I was not allergic to dairy. I was told that I was probably lactose intolerant by a previous doctor and that's why I had stopped drinking cow's milk and cut down on dairy intake. I use the chewable Lactaid ultras and they seem to work but I just don't like to push my luck.

I don't think she checked me for allergies to any beans and I think some of the gluten free stuff has bean flour. The only beans that I really know how to cook are pinto beans. I use to make rice and beans with kidney beans but I don't eat rice anymore. What are the best tasting beans to eat by themselves? 

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by lilnu lilnu wrote:

Surprisingly I was not allergic to dairy. I was told that I was probably lactose intolerant by a previous doctor and that's why I had stopped drinking cow's milk and cut down on dairy intake. I use the chewable Lactaid ultras and they seem to work but I just don't like to push my luck.

I don't think she checked me for allergies to any beans and I think some of the gluten free stuff has bean flour. The only beans that I really know how to cook are pinto beans. I use to make rice and beans with kidney beans but I don't eat rice anymore. What are the best tasting beans to eat by themselves? 

For me, that would be chickpeas.  I also like black beans, blackeyed peas (when deep fried into a fritter, otherwise I don't mess with it), kidney beans, navy beans, cannellini beans (looks like navy beans with a different taste).  There are lentils, I prefer the red ones myself that is pretty good.  I usually make a soup out of it, then add some spinach to bulk it up.  Easy to make on the stove or in a crock pot.  Basically you really have to cull the internet for some recipes to feed yourself and also broaden your palate a bit by trying to incorporate more cruciferous vegetables like kale, cabbage, collar greens, broccoli, bok choy, etc. 
lilnu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilnu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2013 at 6:07pm
Thanks! I hate blackeyed peas-ive never had them fried though. I'm going to try some chickpeas. I eat hummus already-and I love it! So the chickpeas by themselves can't be bad; I just never thought to eat them outside of hummus. That's a good idea about the other vegetables. I already eat cabbage, collard greens and broccoli. I've never had bok choy and I've only had kale in some type of Portuguese soup, but it had so much stuff in it I don't really remember what the kale taste like.

I have been doing more experimenting since I can't just run to the gluten/wheat free stuff. I think I was just initially confused and upset because I'm 26 years old and this just came out of no where. I still don't understand it really. I also realized I can't just shop at Wal Mart anymore-their selection of fresh vegetables is terrible in my area. I'm going to try to find some kale or bok choy and see if I like them. I have to add a few things at a time because I'm weird and picky. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by lilnu lilnu wrote:

Thanks! I hate blackeyed peas-ive never had them fried though. I'm going to try some chickpeas. I eat hummus already-and I love it! So the chickpeas by themselves can't be bad; I just never thought to eat them outside of hummus. That's a good idea about the other vegetables. I already eat cabbage, collard greens and broccoli. I've never had bok choy and I've only had kale in some type of Portuguese soup, but it had so much stuff in it I don't really remember what the kale taste like.

I have been doing more experimenting since I can't just run to the gluten/wheat free stuff. I think I was just initially confused and upset because I'm 26 years old and this just came out of no where. I still don't understand it really. I also realized I can't just shop at Wal Mart anymore-their selection of fresh vegetables is terrible in my area. I'm going to try to find some kale or bok choy and see if I like them. I have to add a few things at a time because I'm weird and picky. 

Caldo verde is the soup.  I tried making it, with some substitution,  but I didn't care for it (my fault completely).  Of course due to the substitution it wouldn't be authentic but I do not like pork because of the taste.  It sounds like your food sensitivities/allergy was culminating for a long time before it appears "suddenly".

I found a list of grains, root vegetables,  and tubers that are naturally gluten-free:
quinoa (tried it and it was okay)
millet (feels like I am eating bird seeds lol)
amaranth (never tried it but I heard it taste similar to quinoa)
teff (I only had it when I was eating Ethiopian food and I liked it, despite the sour nature of the "bread")
buckwheat (I have this and I don't know how to describe it but it has an strong earthy flavor)
flaxseed (nutty)
cassava (I grew up eating these but if you get the root, they take some time to prepare because the toxins it contains so get the flour grade which is known as tapioca)  You can find it at African/Caribbean/Hispanic/some Asian markets, which will be cheaper
coco yam/yautia/malanga (similar to cassava but don't have to do anything special with it.  I use it to make pasteles, a PR dish.  Labor intensive but I love it.)
beets, both the tops and bottoms
parsnips
rutabaga
sweet potatoes (try the red Garnet variety and if you can the purple ones)
turnips
arrowroot (used as a thickener)
lilnu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilnu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2013 at 8:25pm
Thank you for the list. I have some whole flax seeds in the cabinet but I don't know what to do with them (I bought them on a whim because I figured if I didn't like them I could try to make the hair gel everyone seems to like). I love sweet potatoes but I have never tried the other colors but maybe it's time. I tried to make soup with chickpeas, kale, and potatoes but it was not enough liquid so I wouldn't really call it soup. But it actually tasted better than I expected. I didn't put any meat, just some seasonings. I guess I'm getting better at this and I haven't been itching for a few weeks so that's the best part.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic