Forum Home Forum Home > Exercise, Fitness, & Health > Eating Healthy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Eating for Insulin Resistance

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
NattyDoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NattyDoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eating for Insulin Resistance
    Posted: Sep 13 2012 at 1:05pm
So, I just found out I almost definitely have PCOS. I recognized all the symptoms as being part of the problem with why I never developed breasts fully, but didn't know what the actual name for it was. Apparently this also causes insulin resistance, something I was already figuring was one of my problems, with both bloating and losing weight. :(

So, I need some help learning how to eat a friendlier diet for this condition!

I'm already taking fenugreek, and read that that can help. What else can I do to help? I read that eating carbohydrates is really what sets off the whole insulin resistance cycle. :( So I guess I should keep carbohydrates at a minimum? Would this include the "good carbs" like wheat bread? Bread and rice are my favourite foods, just because they go with everything and can even be a meal by themselves, so this is pretty upsetting. =_= Are potatoes considered carbohydrates? (Sorry, I don't know too much about nutrition.) I also read that it's better to use Stevia instead of actual sugar. I don't like sugar much anyway, so I don't consume much of it, but as long as Stevia doesn't taste like Splenda, I'm willing to make the switch for baking and such.

Any other ladies out there with this problem who have to adjust their diet accordingly? Any tips for a first-timer? Embarrassed
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2012 at 1:51pm
Basically you need to consume foods that contains complex carbs, which breaks down slowly in the body.  Which is a good thing.  I forgot but I remember a supplement that helps with management of PCOS, it is derived from buckwheat.  I think it is called inositol or chitisol or something like that. 

Also do a search on pcos diet:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pcos+diet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Looks like to me, your diet would resemble a diabetic.  You definitely need to consume less simple carbs, increase fiber and protein intake.  Good luck.
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2012 at 12:21pm
I believe I'm insulin resistant. I've read if you're more than 30 lbs overweight you probably are. Anyway, a lot of the boards ive been reading about pcos and IR have success with low carb diets like Atkins and south beach

As far as potatoes, you wouldn't want to eat regular potatoes but sweet potatoes are good complex carbs
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2012 at 12:23pm
Check out this forum
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support-70/
rubynaturalprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubynaturalprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

I believe I'm insulin resistant. I've read if you're more than 30 lbs overweight you probably are. Anyway, a lot of the boards ive been reading about pcos and IR have success with low carb diets like Atkins and south beach

As far as potatoes, you wouldn't want to eat regular potatoes but sweet potatoes are good complex carbs

Alot of women are going through this and dont even know it.  I read this as well, which can explain how I was diagnosed with "prediabeties", all of these conditions go hand in hand. I also share some PCOS symptoms.  I would suggest a book called Stop Prediabetes Now. I lost 15 lbs from just cutting out sugar and bad carbs and walking 2 miles every other day, only drinking water and following this book. The rules for a PCOS diet are the same for a Prediabetes diet as PCOS is a symptom of Prediabetes. 

Increase belly or abdomen fat is a major that causes Prediabetes and PCOS, hormone levels are out of wack and one starts getting symptoms of both or either condition. 

In Oct 11' I was 191lbs,  I was 36 lbs overweight, by losing the excess weight and eating zero bad carbs Im 19lbs overweight tryna get to 155lbs and its very doable by just watching what you eat and exercise I'm hoping my levels will be fine the next time I get them checked. By Dec. I should be be fine. 

Best Wishes and keep posting on progress!

missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missyo67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 10:49am
Check out www.jackkruse.com
I would also check your vitamin D levels and have a hormone panel done.  Also consider getting your thyroid checked out.  Vitamin D is CRITICAL for people of color and treatment of issues.  Sleep is also critical.
Dekiai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dekiai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:02pm
For someone with serious insuline resistance I'd say go pretty darn low on the carbs, even the complex carbs(because most of them are still highly glycemic and not as good as one may think).

My meals consists mainly of high quality protein and good fats, and very little carbs.
A normal meal for me would for example be: Salmon with some sort of sauce(No weird cheimcals and processed stuff) with asparagus fried in coconut oil.

My snacks on the other hand is when I get most of my carbs in. I get them mainly from nuts and fruits(preferably the not very sugary fruits) and berries.

As you mentioned fenugreek is supposed to help increase insulin sensitiviy, but another herb/spice that I also find very very helpful is good ol' cinnamon. There's plenty of studies out there on its effect on type 2 diabetics. Just sprinkle some cinnamon over some plain greek yoghurt, maybe add a pinch of stevia(My favorite sweetened btw!) and you have some real yummy stuff. If you also throw in some eggs and what not you have a complete very "insulin friendly" breakfast. :)

I've seen you in the body types section so I know you work out and may therefore need some extra carbs so like... ofcourse you don't have to cut out potatoes and the really "carby carbs"completely, just eat them is much smaller quanitities and compensate the loss of calories by eating more fats and proteins to stabilize blood sugar.

This is all what has worked for me and what makes me feel good, I really hope you find any of this useful! Smile
Loveverythinghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loveverythinghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:16pm
I have the same thing,Currently I been prescribed metformin. A lot of ladies only realize this when they are TTC.
Also a lot of women take metfomin while TTC with PCOS too.

I'm not overweight,but numerous of things can cause PCOS. Such as poor diet, & stress. That was me.

They also have a website strictly for PCOS where they help you prepare meals.

The urge of my body feeling like it's missing something,freaks me out.

I guess that is what I get for teasing my sisters who gained weight if they ate a snicker while I ate what the heck I wanted.

I exercise now and it's funny to them.
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missyo67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 12:27pm
This is a MUST READ.....
Iodine should be part of your PCOS strategy..... also make sure you have a full hormone panel done to see if your Estrogen/Progesterone is off balance.  PCOS is a result of excess testosorone

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic