BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

*** Early Start 2013 Waist & Hip Challenge ***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 105>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
flwonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flwonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 7:18pm
Checking in...

I've just about had it with two grades of hair! I am THIS close to putting in a perm. I washed, DC'd and braided but haven't taken my vitamins for about 2 weeks. Somehow I completely just phased out on them and its showing in my SLOW growth. 

Heavy, welcome! Yes, its doable. NJoy can you post some tips and/or best practices?

Sponsored Links

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 10:13am
thanks for the encouragement everyone!  i am excited to be in this challenge.  let's see how long this hair of mine grows! :-)

@flw - stay strong! :-)
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 8:19pm
I was considering joining this challenge, but I'm a little confused about something. what is the exact difference between waist, hip, and tailbone length? from what I've read and seen...
waist length is where the smallest part of your waist.
hip length is where your hip bone starts. 
tailbone is where the tailbone is.
what I'm really confused about is where is hip length? unless I'm doing something wrong, my hip length and waist length is only an inch apart. is that normal? some people say hip length is in the middle of the hip, but then that's where my tailbone length is! @_@

Edited by yahya - Nov 26 2012 at 8:20pm
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 3:12am
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:

I was considering joining this challenge, but I'm a little confused about something. what is the exact difference between waist, hip, and tailbone length? from what I've read and seen...
waist length is where the smallest part of your waist.
hip length is where your hip bone starts. 
tailbone is where the tailbone is.
what I'm really confused about is where is hip length? unless I'm doing something wrong, my hip length and waist length is only an inch apart. is that normal? some people say hip length is in the middle of the hip, but then that's where my tailbone length is! @_@

Everyone's body is different. If you have a longer torso, your natural waist and your hip may be a greater distance apart. However, if you have a shorter torso, they may actually be only an inch or so apart. No worries...when the challenge starts, everyone will post pictures, and you can get a better idea of how everyone hair falls, and that should better help you.
NJoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by flwonline flwonline wrote:

Checking in...

I've just about had it with two grades of hair! I am THIS close to putting in a perm. I washed, DC'd and braided but haven't taken my vitamins for about 2 weeks. Somehow I completely just phased out on them and its showing in my SLOW growth. 

Heavy, welcome! Yes, its doable. NJoy can you post some tips and/or best practices?

My tips:  Focus on a healthy scalp and protect those ends. 
Um...what else you want me to say, Ma? LOL

For me, baggied damp buns gave me insane retention.  I'm definitely getting back to that.  And by that, I mean, out of the shower, I M&S and put my hair into a loose bun (because as the exposed hair dries, it will shrink and pull on the bun so, leave some slack to prevent breakage).  I hold the bun with my hand and then cover it with a plastic sandwich bag (the fold kind, not the zip ups).  Then I put the ponyholder on the outside of the plastic to hold the bun.  From there, I cover by wrapping the bun with a scarf or a faux bun or phonytail.  That's probably my best tip for retention. *Remember not to make the initial bun too tight.  Oh, and after making the initial bun, tuck the ends under and into the center, as much as possible. *takes a bow because I'm done*

Here's a pic of my bun wrapped with a scarf (sorry.  I can't get this pic any bigger.  I tried)

And I used aloe gel and a satin scarf (for about 15 mins) to lay my edges down, like so:

I also covered two loose smooshed baggied buns with a half wig for variety.

Hope that helps. Smile
mskraizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskraizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 6:50pm
- post your starting photo and fotki

- post your starting length and expected WL date Officially BSL I expect to be waist length.....by the end of the year.. -_-"

- post your hair status (relaxed, transitioning or natural) - Relaxed ladies, post last perm date. Totally au naturalle!
- post your DETAILED regimen (include your vitamins and growth aids) Gonna keep it pretty simple since that's what's been working for me.

♥ Deep condition overnight, detangle with deep conditioner in, then shampoo hair (this is all done in twists).
♥ Moisturize hair with garnier fructis sleek and shine leave in conditioner, seal and oil and massage scalp with oil mix of fifty-fifty avocado and castor oil
♥ Everyday, or every other day (I try to get it in at least three times a week though), moisturize with garnier's leave in and seal (oil and massage scalp)
♥ I keep my hair in protective styles mainly twists, but will opt to use my yarn braids or marley twists or possible even braid extensions.
♥ I'm going back to trimming my hair more frequently since I'm trying to get my ends (or keep my ends) in it's healthiest condition. I used to trim every 8 months to a year, but I'm gonna go back to once every four to five months. It works better for me in my opinion.

♥ Other random tidbits I do that happen inconsistently or whenever I feel like doing it include egg protein treatments, rhassoul clay treatments, and hot oil treatments. I have a pretty secure regimen that has TOTALLY transformed my hair and I plan on keeping it up. I may venture here and there but I plan on sticking to the basics.

♥ Staple Products include:
-- Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave In Conditioner
-- ORS Replenishing Deep Conditioner (big bottle)
-- Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter Shampoo and Conditioner
-- Tresemme Naturals Conditioner
-- Avocado and Castor Oils mainly, but I may start incorporating coconut oil again
-- Water and peppermint oil
-- Whipped shea butter mix (shea butter, avocado, castor, and peppermint oils)

......that's pretty much it. I take gummy multivitamins!!

- post a link to your Fotki or picture logs My Fotki--Waist and Hip Length Challenge 2013 eta:: my pw is "allnelly"

Updates: at least 2x a month (tell us about your progress)
Photo Check-Ins: by the last day of each month (Jan-Nov) in 2013
Photo Finish: December 31, 2013

There are no "rules" - except to stick to the challenge! Whatever you write, we're gonna hold you to it!.........sounds fair enough. Since this regimen has been working so well, I don't plan on venturing off too often, but here and now I may test different waters a bit. Can't wait til I see if I can make it!!! =)

Edited by mskraizy - Nov 27 2012 at 6:51pm
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 10:32am
im thinking about using l-cysteine again.  i swear i had the best growth when i was on it but it also turned my new growth to straight up wire.  im curious to find out if it was all in my headLOL *it coulda been*
Cherry89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 11:14am
Lol, @Njoy, Thanks for the correction!LOL 
I Think im going to co-wash everyday for now on, It really benefiting my hair and ends. Plus im a few weeks post-relaxer, and I dont know what else to do! LOL
NJoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Cherry89 Cherry89 wrote:

Lol, @Njoy, Thanks for the correction!LOL 
I Think im going to co-wash everyday for now on, It really benefiting my hair and ends. Plus im a few weeks post-relaxer, and I dont know what else to do! LOL

LOL Just tryna to do my part, Girl.  Just tryna do my part. LOL

My relaxed hair LOVED daily cowashing. I'm cowashing 2-3x a week now but plan to get back to daily, now that I'm back to damp bunning.  Oh, it's ohn nah!

Ilovepm23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilovepm23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 2:22pm
I can't wait for 2013, for my healthy hair growth, so far
I been doing good, for about 2 wks..all you ladies are
so inspiring, and I love the feeling when i have
Beautiful long healthy hair ;) ca't wait to have my hair long ;)

http://public.fotki.com/Ilovepm23/november-1-2012-con/page2.html
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 105>