BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

*** Early Start 2013 Waist & Hip Challenge ***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 105>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2013 at 10:26am

IMG_8163

Style Icon Natasha

I have found that the classic 3a to 4b hair typing can be very misleading in regards to choosing routines and products although many naturals do still make such inferences. In my experience there are two properties of hair that are more important. First is an assessment of whether your hair is kinky, curly or both. This will determine the strength of your hair and how best to handle it. The second is an assessment of whether your individual strands are fine or thick. This will determine the type of products that will be better for your hair and will also be a guide on how best to trim and style your hair. Today I will discuss individual strand thickness. This is a general guide based on observation, some people with fine or thick hair may indeed buck the trend. Equally if your hair is somewhere between fine and thick, you may find yourself switching between the two trends.

1. More dusting for fine hair, more trimmed cuts for thick hair
If your natural hair is fine, there is a stronger tendency for the ends to tangle as the individual strands seem to really like meshing. As a result, these ends will experience more wear as they are regularly separated for styling and detangling. Choosing a dusting routine where an eighth of an inch is cut every month or so is a good choice to prevent and get rid of damage. If your strands are thicker, you will probably find that knots are rare although tangles may still occur. Therefore, you may find a set trimming routine of, for example, half an inch every 4-6 months is more appropriate to get rid of damage

2. Lighter conditioners for fine hair, heavier ones for thick hair
The issue of tangling and meshing for fine hair once more lends it to finding lighter conditioners that are packed with slip to be more beneficial especially if choosing to conditioner detangle. Lighter conditioners are more able to coat the strands even when the hair has a tendency to mesh. You may therefore find that regular store bought conditioners such as Herbal Essences, Tresemme, Aussie and VO5 are praised highly by people with fine hair. Meanwhile if you have thick strands, you may find that lighter conditioners simply do not help you as they are unable to weigh your hair down properly for ease of management when detangling. Many naturals with thicker strands may still use lighter store bought conditioners but will tend to add in olive oil or shea butter to help make the product more substantive. Hair masks and thicker products such as Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Jessicurl Too Shea may also be equally preferred for thicker strands.

3. Lighter oils for fine hair, butters and thicker oils for thick hair
Many naturals tend to pick oils based on their preference for scent and texture. In general , most oils are perfectly fine to use on any hair strand thickness. However, people with fine hair may find that heavier butters and oil (e.g castor oil, shea butter, coffee butter, cocoa butter) are more difficult to spread and weigh hair down excessively. These oils, however, may be beneficial to fine hair if used on just the last 1-2 inches of hair as a thicker coating for moisture retention and breakage prevention. Over the rest of the strand, lighter oils and butters (e.g coconut, jojoba, avocado butter) may be better for finer strands. People with thicker strands will generally find that pretty much any oil can work for them but a preference for castor oil and shea butter is really prevalent. This is likely to be because thicker hair can easily withstand the thick oil coating.

4. More protein for fine hair, less or none for thick hair
Finer hair tends to be prone to damage compared to thicker strands which may have both more cuticle layers and a thicker cortex. For this reason, protein is almost always a must for fine hair. This does not mean using a specific protein treatment e.g Komaza or Aphogee. This could just mean using a hair conditioner with some protein or amino acids contained within or indeed adding a few drops of the protein treatment to a regular conditioner. People with thicker strands may find that protein treatments do not add to the strength of the hair and may even make hair less flexible. They should therefore be used sparingly.

5. Less heat for fine hair
There are a few rare creatures who will tell you how they can bleach and straighten their hair one day and then dye it all to a different colour a week later without any ill effects. There are some too who will tell you how they experience no damage or breakage even after using a flat iron on high heat with several passes each time. The likely fact is that all these people have thick strands. Fine hair is just not able to do this and even low direct contact heat can easily set off breakage. If you are in this group, restrict yourself to contactless heat (hair dryer held away from hair), reduce the temperature and/or number of times you flat iron or indeed completely avoid heat.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/10/5-ways-thick-and-fine-natural-hair-should-be-treated-differently/

Sponsored Links

luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2013 at 6:09pm
@ Tatee: informative post👍. I agree with the majority of the author's thought. It's funny how this chick named Cleo is no doubt thick, but depending on several factors she can have thin tendencies. Then, ya know I gots 3 different textures goings on, so sometimes I gotta treat them different, but she thick though.

Speaking of thick, I know y'all can tell me and this chick, Cleo are going through, hence me calling her this chick. Ok, every since I washed out the press, she has been showing her natural behind. I need to know how she can be all hammerhead ish AND have the nerve to shrink too?!!? Like, for real for real, chick?! Really?! Seriously?! Yeah, I know I need to flatten her and load her down like I'm burying her 6 feet under. But, I don't feel like it. This chick makes my wrist hurt which is truly not conducive to my laziness! This chick, Cleo is on Whatever time. I ain't got too many words for her bout now, but WHATEVER!
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 12:50pm
Tatee, do you recommend a particular brand of seamless comb? (Or anyone else).. :( the first one I see on Amazon is damn near $30..but if they really make a huge difference, I might need to get one
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Tatee, do you recommend a particular brand of seamless comb? (Or anyone else).. :( the first one I see on Amazon is damn near $30..but if they really make a huge difference, I might need to get one

here the thing, if you are happy with the way you detangle and what you use to detangle then upgrading combs is unnecessary.  if you dont feel like your tools are harming your growth retention then i wouldnt even look in this direction.  after all you can get a wide tooth comb for a buck... but if youre getting frustrated and what your doing now isnt working and you feel like making an investment in a comb.  and yeah im calling it an investment cuz youre gonna feel like a damn fool paying this much for a combLOL
but honestly if i lost this comb today i'd be on the phone repurchasing again tomorrow.

i cant say this is the best seamless comb on the market because this is the first and only one ive ever used but do your research and decide if its worth it for you.

http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-star-jumbo-rake/

theyre  having a sale right now...perfect timing.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 9:44am
i cut off 2 more inches this month.  i realized my entire goal for 2013 was to get rid of my texurized ends and maintain waist length at the same time.  but if i end the year still having texturized ends i will be going into 2014 with the exact same goal i had the year before.  i also know that theres part of me that still has doubts about my hair growth potential or why else would i be so hesitant?  what ever these issues are im kind of sick of carrying them, theyre heavy.

i noticed afterwards that i still have another inch to cut off but im pleased with what i cut off so far and  my twists have already thanked me.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 10:33am
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 7:12am
remember weeks ago i was talking big willie talk about never buying another deep conditioner?  see imma need yah to stop me when i start coming on here talking reckless.  yesterday i had to shampoo my hair because i realized that my hair was unusually dry even after my cowash last week (post petroleum experiment).  so i used ORS olive oil aloe shampoo to remove the build up and thats when i realized what i needed a deep conditioner forLOL there was no way in hell that straw on top of my head was going to return magically back to hair without one....my senses has been restored. *shrugs* it be like that sometime.
momentoindigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote momentoindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 12:50am
Just checking in. Doing a complex reggi currently. Castor oil daily. African hair builder daily. Scalp massages twice day with jojoba or coconut oil. Inversion method this week. Keeping it stretched. Letting castor oil absorb overnight most nights while also ghe'ing. Phew. Easy stuff though.

Braid outs fo life.

Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 8:44am
Beautiful!!

& lol @ tatee...

I cut another 2" off so my crazy gap in the back of my head isn't so bad...I think I'm at apl now, not really sure, haven't even checked. I just know end of Dec it's on & cracking...I won't be taking any pics until then.
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 6:33pm
Been trying to post for three days and getting access denied. Whatever. Cleo is straight now. Thinking of pin curling or curling her with my flexi rods .
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 105>