Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

*** Early Start 2013 Waist & Hip Challenge ***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 104>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2013 at 11:38am
I have glycerine in my hair now in the form of a curl moisturizer. I can  NOT wear it straight this way but it does ook really shiny and silky with glycerine.  So you must wear it natural or semi natural with glycerine.. In other words a flatiron or blow dry straight will not work.
So I m just rocking my natural curls with this in. My only original statement against it is hard to straighten the hair with it in the hair. But if youre going for natural... it will definitely soften the natural hair.

PS I just proved my point.  I put some rollers in with this glycerine in my hair and it was a total JOKE. Does not hold a set at all! The straightened ends got straighter and the wavy curly hair would not stretch at all... not a bit of set from the roller on the hair AT ALL with glycerine in the hair. (it stays natural)

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 07 2013 at 12:20pm
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 6:24am
dc my hair over night and this morning shampooed with my diluted shampoo (1/4 shampoo, 1/4 oil and 2/4 aloe).  I then cowashed and set my hair in 8 twists to dry.  when my hair dries im going to take out the twists and style my hair.  i wont be rocking twists next week.

i keep telling myself im going to stop dc'ing before i wash but when the times comes around and i think of what it will actually entail i just cant.
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 5:30pm
Hey Ladies! Been under the weather, but doing the basics. Just been moisturizing and puffing. Its been rainy and humid or rainy and cold here. Not really been up to doing much else. Once I get mo' energy- we'll see. Have a good weekend!
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 8:29am
the spirit hit me and i did a half ass attempt at straightening my hair (again).  i realized while i was doing it that i literally go months with out removing all my shed hair.  you would be surprised by the amount of shed hair that i removed in the last couple of days.  im starting to wonder if this is keeping be from growth retention.

my lack of hair care would probably embarrass most but...*shrugs*  im just really not a hair person and any effort i make is really the best i can do.  i know most people like me would just chop it all off but those bald patches put a end to those foolish notionsLOL and my thin/fine hair  and fear of commitment rules out locs.

wow stretching my hair really *&%^$#@Eed up my moodLOL
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 9:10am
gossh Tatee you should LOVE having all that hair. 

1) maybe get a henna to STRENGTHEN it since you're talking about how fine it is and all the breakage. The lawson dye in henna adds a protective outer coating to the strand that helps to stop it from snapping off as you jerk the comb thru it. (I did a neutral henna for length retention and I love it! I WILL be doing a neutral color henna at least twice a month. Not because of any color change bc there was none really... But because it STRENGTHENS the hair and keeps it from combing out, so helps with LENGTH RETENTION.  Oil the hair everyday after you do that.)

2) Please don't take this the wrong way .... why not put something to temporarily smooth the texture so it will be a PLEASURE to comb your hair instead of an event that "#*$&es up your mood"  maybe aBKT  the next time you flat iron!!! If you get a good strong brand, it seems to take 4 textured hair to at least a 3c. The combination of the two could help you with length retention and make all the difference in the world between your HATING to deal with your hair and your LOVING IT! 
The biggest thing that people say in the videos about Brazilian Keratin Treatments is not so much about how it changes the texture so much but how it cuts down the time required to do the hair to next to nothing.

Please forgive my suggestions, but I LOVE getting to play with my hair the days that I do wear it out and I would love for you to get to enjoy that feeling  too! The above post sounds like you hate it and there should be no reason for you to hate dealing with your hair.  WE have all the resources and knowledge in the world these days that can make it into a pleasurable experience if you just apply the knowledge and tools we have.

The BKT product by Keratin Research seem to get really great reviews and cost $59.00
Although you can just pick up the Organix brand bkt at any local drug store for $14.00
OR

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 09 2013 at 9:41am
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 9:37am
LadyAradia, you remind me of those people who hear only what they want to hear.  did that post really sound like im the type of person that would do a henna treatment?  i simply dont like doing my hair i never have.  thats really not going to change.
i also never mentioned the word breakage. i only referred to shed hair because my hair hasnt been properly combed in months since i was wearing back to back twists.  

and whats up with you always trying to push bkt on people?   i just spent over 2 and half years growing out a texturizer i had for 6 years.  my hair texture isnt the problem, never has been.  youre looking deep when everything you need to know is on the surface. 

its really not hard to understand that im not much of a hair person.  spending my day dc, washing and styling my hair isnt something i like to spend my time doing.  ive spent most of my life in ponytails and buns for a reason because theyre simple.  and never have you heard me say i hate my hair. i swear you stay trying to hard.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 10:40am
Reading that makes me feel really weird. Because soaking in the tub with all sort of pretty smelling conditioners in my hair is my idea of heaven and a day of pampering myself... Next to a good meal or something else I cant mention, it is really high up there on the list of pleasures for me LOL
I love keratin treatments too! I did one on a friend and it made her hair gorg! The other thing about it is that it doesnt require a commitment like a texturizer because it slowly reverts over time.  So I talk about it because I think they are really high up there on my list too! Tongue My hair, good food and love are some of the simple pleasures of life that make it all worth while for me LOL
momentoindigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote momentoindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 12:19pm
well... i have 3c hair and in fact some 3b and looser... and it's not any easier to manage than hair in the 4's. every texture has it's issues so getting a bkt probably wouldn't do anything. just another chemical treatment that jacks up half the heads it touches. works for some... if its texture ur focused on... but im focused on natural hair and natural hair health. and having 3c hair and looser textures doesn't transform your hair into some sort of strong easy growing contraption.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 12:59pm
I understand where you are coming from Momentoindigo. People should feel PRIDE of whatever is on their head. That being said, I can not deny a few recent observations with my own hair.  When my Japanese straightener was fresh, I could rise out of the tub with  the water literally detangled my hair as I rose up out of the tub.  There was no need to pass a comb thru it after the tub. When I passed a comb thru my hair it literally glided thru like butter on silk. There were ZERO tangles fresh out of the tub, really there was no need to comb it except to lay it where I wanted it to be.
Now that my Japanese straightener seems to have reverted for some strange reason,  I do like the new style option of a wash and go curly/ wavy style. But, it is no longer tangle free when I rise out of the tub like silk. The comb gets stuck in my hair and I find hair on the comb which I NEVER saw when it was Japanese straightened. When I lay on it tangles will form. That also NEVER happened when it was Japanese straightened. Strangely enough I also need more product on the hair now that it is more natural... and this hardly feels natural.  

Now true nothing makes hair an "easy growing contraption"  Easy growing has nothing to do with this. For me having it straight with Japanese straightener does make it a heck of a lot easier and more pleasant to deal with and makes detangling nonexistent.  Granted mine is 3b now but it is still a lot harder to deal with and has a lot more shedding and breakage than when it was straight. 

So for me, it is nice to be natural  3b for a while, just for a change of pace.... but I can tell I will probably do either a bkt or another japanese straightener because I also do not like battling with my hair. I find BKT and Japanese straighteners to be very much alike btw. The bkt is just like a temporary texturizer while the Japanese straighteners takes mine pretty much to level 1 straight. I like to be able to rise out of the tub and not have to pass a comb thru it and know there still will be no tangles in it whenever I do get around to combing it.  In my mind that is the perfect solution for someone who does "not like doing  their hair"
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 8:43pm
@Luv
Feel better soon! I know what you are referring to with the rain, because even with a moment of sun, rain and cold is around the corner every time.In fact, I had my dosage of a rain shower recently and literally had to walk to the bathroom first to dry off before I could do anything else. It's finally been sunny...for like two days before it got colder again today, so I really don't know what to expect this week, guess I will take the mornings as they come.

@Tatee
LOL.... trust me I know where you are coming from and the amount of shed hair I often had to remove would have people like... if they saw the trash can in the bathroom.
As for being low maintenance, I too have been low maintenance a lot and it took me trial and error and time to find out how to retain moisture with low maintenance (roflmao@ the irony).

Protective styling for too long might hinder your growth I guess if your hair does not get the moisture and cleansing it needs during that time.
You did mention back to back twists without a proper detangling and removal of shed hair, so if you didn't give it a proper detangling before re-twisting, you might be right.

My personal horror story with protective styling was last year, when I was bunning a lot after the summer and using products that acted up on my hair too much. Finger detangling did not have benefits for me unfortunately and that combined with wrong products for my hair....
Well, I didn't take the time to sort it out on the wash day , thought it was detangled, but when I tried to style it loose it kept acting up I ended up bunning and bunning after that when I should've been sorting out my hair and switching up the products which only made matters worse, adding to that bad sleeping practices that gave me a setback in hair growth.

I guess the most important thing is to take the care when you take down the hair.

Totally get why ponytails and buns are your go to style, because they will stay in place even when they're not properly moisturized and when you wear it out and it isn't properly moisturized it will become unpredictable.(Speaking from previous experience here, LOL!)

I guess it all depends on how you want to wear your hair and what it needs for you to achieve that and then of course the most important thing of all, you knowing what it needs. At least now you know what it doesn't need and you can keep it moving to something more effective that doesn't end up being time consuming to make up for the mistake.

In general keeping it simple isn't something that has to be a bad thing.I do understand that wash days can be different depending on the way hair will respond to water (my own comment just gave me a light bulb moment about hair care ) , but finding out a method or product that will make it easier is what takes more time for some than the method itself I think, like needing more conditioner to get more slip because the water will not weigh the hair down or washing in sections or even in jumbo(keeping it simple ;)) twists or braids because the hairs will tangle in itself while washing if loose etc. etc. , and moisturizing after that , so it won't be as easy for everyone but hey as long as it's the easiest that it possibly can be while your hair remains in top condition that's what matters.

The softer the satin(made from polyester or silk) you sleep on and/or wrap your hair in feels, the better your hair will look and feel when you wake up.(And will change you from having to moisturize again in the morning to just having to refresh.) Not skipping on good sleeping habits will cut away lots of time too.

But what I am trying to say in a way too long winded way(LOL, I need to cut back on typing...pfff hahah )is that low maintenance on hair without disadvantages is possible, so feel no shame for it, just reap the benefits by doing it the way that your hair will like it and with that keeping it the healthiest it can be.

@Momentoindigo
Every texture does have it's challenges I agree.
But unless the oil distribution down the entire shaft is the same the challenge will differ.
Dryer hair simply comes with the extra challenge of moisture retention.
The tighter the texture the more curves and/or bends to moisturize it.
Which does not mean that having a looser texture is easy. It's just a different ball game. I do get what you were trying to say in regards to BKT changing the texture and being seen as an automatic solution to hair manageability.I do agree that BKT is not something that will bring instant satisfaction to everyone.

@LadyAradia
Of course hair is more prone to tangle the more it curls, but there are ways to not have that happen as much, by finding out the right method and right products that will work for it instead of against it, even for the hair lazy ones among us(like myself ).
And of course dipping your hair under water and then coming out is not going to be the same for hair that curls and moves in the water and hair that is straight, so it's best to wash your hair with the showerhead if you want to diminish the chances of it tangling while loose.

If your preference is straight hair then BKT is for you, but if the preference goes to dealing with the hair without the use of chemicals then BKT is not recommendable. Henna is so time consuming and really not suitable for those that do not want to spend hours on hair, despite it's benefits.I don't think a chemical treatment is what makes someone's hair look pretty, I think it's how it's taken care of that will bring out it's beauty.I do understand your enthusiasm though, but sometimes we have to realize that enthusiasm for something might be misplaced for some.

Edited by Ritle - Jun 09 2013 at 8:56pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System