Mynx Hair

Author
shonuffaharlem View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drunken Negro Face Cookies
    Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 12:45pm
http://gothamist.com/2009/01/23/greenwich_village_bakery_selling_dr.php

At at a time when any decent baker should have been selling racially harmonious black and white cookies by the truckload, one Greenwich Village bakery popular with celebrities and shows like Sex and the City has outraged neighbors by selling a "Drunken Negro Face" cookie in, um, "honor" of President Obama. [Video below.] A shocked customer tells My Fox NY that Ted Kefalinos, proprietor of Lafayette French Pastry, asked her, "Would you like some drunken negro heads to go with your coffee? They're in honor of our new president. He's following in the same path of Abraham Lincoln; he will get his."

Later, her friend stopped by the bakery and said Kefalinos corrected her about the name of the cookies—they're actually drunken "N-word" cookies. She says the backwards baker then repeated the dark suggestion that, like Lincoln, President Obama "will get what's coming to him." Go Secret Service, go!

And it gets worse when Fox's Arnold Diaz goes into the store with a camera and microphone to confront Kefalinos, who suddenly makes Joe the Plumber look like a Rhodes scholar. "I called them Drunken Negro Heads. What's the problem with that?" Kefalinos asks the newscaster with a smirk. "On Inauguration Day I thought it would be cool to change the name to Obama Heads. I just changed it for the day." We suppose Burning Cross Bananas Foster was too complicated to mass-produce.

Kefalinos denies intimating that Obama would be assassinated, and insists that the cookie is "not unflattering. I think it's a fun face... And anyone who says anything else should be ashamed of themselves." Besides, nobody got upset about the "Dead Geese Bread" he sold after the recent Hudson River plane crash. (We're NOT making that up.) Also, Kefalinos insists he can't be racist because, for one thing, "my brother-in-law, he's Cuban." Below, behold the breathtaking train wreck of racist ignorance.

UPDATE: We just spoke with Kefalinos on the phone and he remains utterly oblivious, telling us, "This whole thing was blown out of proportion." He says he's sold out of the "Drunken Negro Cakes" and doesn't plan to make anymore, despite the fact that many customers have been requesting them (he claims). When asked whether he understands that most African-Americans find the word "negro" offensive, Kefalinos explains, "It's a French word. It comes from the French."

Community Board 2 was quick to call for a boycott of Lafayette French Pastry, to which Kefalinos responds, "I'm sorry they feel that way because I was trying to do a nice thing." Not seeming to grasp in any way the degree of outrage he's sparked, he added, "I did it and that's the end of it and it's over."

GO TO THE LINK AND TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS.

Edited by shonuffaharlem - Jan 25 2009 at 12:46pm
Sponsored Links

buttercup89 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 12:47pm
that's an ignorant mofo, and those cakes are scary looking as hell.
Haitienne Pearl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 12:51pm
Negro is a french word?!......... Kind of true (more latin) actually it is Nègre in french...

But either way it is still a bad word.....even in french....

Can't be racist because his brother-in-law is Cuban... That man is somewhat funny....

*smh* at his lousy excuses

OP: I can't see the cookiesEmbarrassed

Edited by Haitienne Pearl - Jan 25 2009 at 1:01pm
LovNLife View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 12:51pm
we already went through this yesterday
ChaLove View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 12:53pm
smh, i work close by there (in the village) and it comes as no surprise that there are people in that area that feel that way. Magnolia bakery will run them out of business anyway. :)
Solahsystah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 12:55pm
That ignorant racist motherCensored needs to be hung by his nuts for even letting the thought cross his mind to make those cookies. And then associate them with the president? Come on man. Come on.
shonuffaharlem View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by LovNLife LovNLife wrote:

we already went through this yesterday

I was not here yesterday.
Im_A_Diva View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 3:00pm
its ashame he waisted his money on making those cookies when no one will buy them, dumbass business move
WorkInProgress View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 3:04pm
Fail all around
LuvRayn07 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by karamelkyss karamelkyss wrote:

this has been posted about ten timez already.

No..just once by moi..LOL
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic