Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Drugstore Make up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 592>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 13 Votes, Average 4.08  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:13am
Originally posted by uNaTtaiNAblE88 uNaTtaiNAblE88 wrote:

Oooh, oooh, I have makeup questions! Drugstore, but not really, I'm hoping someone can help me out tho.

I am using Ben Nye's banana powder over my undereye highlight, and I've noticed that it separates after a little bit of time on my face. does anyone else experience this? I"m trying to figure out why, is it reacting with the formula of my concealer? (Mac Pro Longwear). Is it because it's a loose powder so it doesn't "stick" well? is it reacting poorly with my primer or my finishing spray? my brush? yo no se. I really like the powder color, it tones down the brightness of the concealer while still being light enough to act as a highlight, so if I have to switch something else out, I don't mind doing that.

Also, I wanna try out the La Girl pro concealers, but they don't sell them in my area so I have to order them online. Anybody know what the dupe is to nc42 in Mac's concealer?

Thank You!

Try the Mac Select concealer. I use that with Ben Nye on top and haven't experienced any issues.

I haven't used the LA Girl concealers yet. Im about to order 3 actually because I have to do someone's face for an event next month. Going by the swatches online Im thinking Warm Honey or Fawn. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 11:17am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Neutrogena make up remover & then Neutrogena facial cleanser or Black soap to clean my face.

I really like the Black Opal stick foundations. after trying them in the daylight. It looks very yellow at first but after applying and blending you should let it 'warm up' on your skin by letting it sit for about 10 min. The youtube reviewer said this and I thought she was playing until I tried it today.

Yes especially the Truly Topaz.  It warms up a lot compared to the application color.  That sh*t can throw you off with foundation.  A lot of times I'm guilty of hating it in 3 seconds.  I'm better now though and I usually wait until it is completely dry before judging the color.   Your skin, the amount of oil, ph, your temperature all have to settle and blend with the makeup.  Who knew?LOL
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

I haven't used the LA Girl concealers yet. Im about to order 3 actually because I have to do someone's face for an event next month. Going by the swatches online Im thinking Warm Honey or Fawn. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I just bought a bunch of these and I love, love, love them.  I bought several colors and so far I'm completely in love with Toffee.  I like it as a highlighter and if I mix it with Toast or Beautiful Bronze it actually gives foundation type coverage.   These are so inexpensive I would say order a couple and figure out what mix you like.  I literally mixed several together and almost everything looked good. 

Fawn is actually the one that isn't my favorite.  It is very, very yellow based.  It creates an "ashy" look no matter what I mix it with.   So I can't use it as a concealer but it did well as a highlighter even though I had to use a 2nd color to warm it up. 

Med. Bisque is a great color corrector but Toffee actually does a nice job of that too.  

I don't know I just love these and I can find a way to use them all.  I'm already worried about running outLOL 
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 11:32am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Eh I went ahead and ordered some stuff from elf. 2 lipsticks, some tinted moisturizers, 2 BB creams, a powder, then added the brushes on and used the coupon. It's been awhile and I needed a pick-me-up.

I can't wait to hear what you think about the BB creams.  Hopefully they are really nice.   E.L.F. stuff has two categories.  "Extremely Excellent and unexpected" or "Not bad, not great" so you made a good choice. 
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 11:46am
Silly question ahead: How long does your lipgloss last? Whether by itself or layered? 

I searched everywhere for Milani (ok not everywhere) anti-feather pencil but still no luck.

I bought a Nanacoco lip gloss (the darker red) and a Revlon lipstick and a Revlon eyeshadow. Now the Lipgloss i got many compliments on (doing my errands) but my friends said it wasnt bad/too dark so I gave it to my gf and it looks perfect on that wench! I paid $5 for that ish and Im mad cause i could have a) gotten it cheaper and b) bought a revlon lipgloss for the same price.

Now that Revlon lipstick has me looking a plum fool, y'all should have heard them clown me! I dont know WTF i was thinking but no sah! Prob. was my excitement when i realised the store had nanacoco glosses. But it looks Great over the black Opal! and the scent on the Revlon is 0.5/10 compared to B.Opal 3/10. It glides on so well and feel smooovvee.

I'm buying another lipgloss in the next hour.

I havent tried the eyeshadow, i probably wont open it but i just wanted to have it
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 12:11pm
i think i want that elf brush set.. 

trying to make my basket $30 
how do you guys feel about their blushes..? anything you'd recommend besides that HD powder i saw mentioned? 
(theyre out of the translucent HD powder.. any comments on the brownish one?) 

Edited by coconess - Feb 23 2014 at 12:15pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Silly question ahead: How long does your lipgloss last? Whether by itself or layered?

A good one is around 2-3 hours before you have to apply again.   Eating usually kills all lip apps for me thoughLOL

Try some more of the Nanacocos I guess.  I haven't received mine yet but the price is good and if you like the quality just find the right color. 
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Neutrogena make up remover & then Neutrogena facial cleanser or Black soap to clean my face.

I really like the Black Opal stick foundations. after trying them in the daylight. It looks very yellow at first but after applying and blending you should let it 'warm up' on your skin by letting it sit for about 10 min. The youtube reviewer said this and I thought she was playing until I tried it today.
Yes especially the Truly Topaz.  It warms up a lot compared to the application color.  That sh*t can throw you off with foundation.  A lot of times I'm guilty of hating it in 3 seconds.  I'm better now though and I usually wait until it is completely dry before judging the color.   Your skin, the amount of oil, ph, your temperature all have to settle and blend with the makeup.  Who knew?LOL
We know now.LOL

I think my concealers come tomorrow.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 12:34pm
Coco get the stippling brushes.  They're not bad and worth it as back-ups at the very least.   I have a few things I tried and really liked I have to say even with all the brushes I have from Sigma and Real Techniques I still love and use my E.L.F. brushes just as much.

I'm not a big fan of their blushes but others love them (yt womenzLOL).  I never find myself reaching for them at all. 

I havent used the mist & set much and can't remember if I like it but I'm going to try it again:

I like this remover pen too for correcting liner / mascara mistakes.  I don't know HOW it works but it does:

Or maybe try some of the baked shadows.  They are usually sold out or they used to be.   I have all of the individual ones and I like them because they have the elf "corn-silk" smoothness.

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Feb 23 2014 at 12:34pm
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 12:38pm
I have the mist.
I like it.

I love my brush it feels so smooth and gives a nice finish
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon