Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Drug testing is a benefit for black people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iliveforbhm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drug testing is a benefit for black people
    Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:51am
Today, almost half of all US jobs require a drug test, and it turns out that companies that test their employees hire more black people. But that’s not a result that reflects well on Americans.

Abigail Wozniak, a Notre Dame labor economist, has developed a model to show how the rise of employee drug testing in the United States has affected different populations. What she found surprised her: In states where testing is prevalent thanks to supportive laws, black employment increased between 7% and 30%, and wages for black workers increased by between 1.4% and 13%.

That’s surprising because in America’s often-misguided war on drugs, black people tend to suffer disproportionately—just look at the statistics on arrests and the controversy over “stop and frisk” policing tactics. There’s plenty of evidence that black and white Americans use illicit drugs at roughly the same rate, though white Americans are more likely than black Americans to abuse alcohol:

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

But despite that, according to studies cited in the paper, there’s wide overestimation of black people’s drug use in the US by everyone from police to hiring managers to young black people themselves.

+

And that’s why Wozniak thinks drug testing increased black employment: Without the testing, employers went by their gut biases. But when testing became common and showed that black applicants were not actually using drugs, hiring rates for black applicants went up. Wozniak concludes that this is evidence of discrimination against black workers before testing, driven by some combination of racialized belief and ignorance. One other interesting finding from the study is that absent drug testing, employers tend to hire white women instead of black men.

+

Opinion polls Wozniak notes show increasing approval of employee drug testing among black people and unskilled workers, and growing disapproval of testing among older and more educated workers, which she said indicates that the people who benefit from such policies understand that, on some level.

This research is only a “first look” at these relationships, and Wozniak says more work needs to be done to understand labor market discrimination and how to fix it. She’ll be grappling with that problem soon enough—next month, she starts a term as a senior labor economist on the White House Council of Economic Advisers.
Sponsored Links

bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 9:18am
Pass the "test".....get a job.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:28am
So pointless....
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:30am
Gtfoh
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (19) Thanks(19)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:38am
If you're gonna test, test everybody.... then watch the million dollars a year hedge fund managers squirm cos they know they cant drop their cocaine habits....
There's more drugs on wall street / city of london than anywhere else...
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:38am
What are you madabout afro? Whites areprovene to do more drugs percentage wise than black people
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:40am
So no one read? I guess the saying gos if you dont want black people to know something put it in a book.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:05am
I read it.
I'm saying drug testing is mostly pointless.

Plus the whole thing made me uneasy like we have to be good negros and prove to these good yt folk that we aren't all druggies by default.

I don't like it
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:47am
That goes without saying though.
No one should be drunk or high at work.

Of course I wouldn't want to fly with a drunken pilot but that's entirely different from this issue
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:47am

I get tested for my job, and it can be random. I work with multiple races, and we get tested equally.

If you're in a high risk job it's necessary. Can't have anyone high or drunk doing my job.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic