Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don Lemon is at it again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don Lemon is at it again
    Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 2:56pm
Don Lemon On The Tom Joyner Morning Show: Journalist Calls Out The New Black Leaders
   Who are America’s black leaders? Not the activists, or entrepreneurs, community mobilizers or preachers.According to Don Lemon, the new black leaders are the Waka Flocka’s, Rihanna’s and Beyonce’s of the world.

The CNN reporter debuted his new segment on the Tom Joyner Morning Show Tuesday, talking about a topic he’s grown comfortable discussing as of late: the issues within the black community. He insisted that the burden of leadership in the community has shifted.

“Why am I so sure about that? I want you to ask yourself the last time you heard a young person walking around singing a church hymn?”

Lemon announced the exciting development on Twitter, telling followers to expect to hear his perspectives on the show every Tuesday and Thursday.

His comments come on the heels of his controversial statements about the “five ways to fix our community,” which caused a firestorm of backlash from critics including Russell Simmons.

During Tuesday's segment, the 47-year-old journalist said the power brokers and influencers of the 1960’s were the churches, unions, preachers and even radio hosts/DJs, but today the influence has shifted and those who currently have the label of “black leaders” don’t do enough to move the status quo.

“Might some of them be keeping us from evolving because of their idea of Dr. King’s dream hasn’t evolved past 1963?”

And if Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. were alive today, Lemon says King would likely align with the present-day entertainers because of their influence on the black community.

"So that’s why in my work as a journalist, I constantly challenge and urge the rap, hip-hop and music power brokers to step on to the stage of positive influence and into the fulfillment of Dr. King’s dream, because whether they realize it or not they are the new breed, they are the new black leaders. They are the influences of our time. And I don’t mean that I challenge them in a negative way. I mean that in the best possible way, that their names can too be one day be worthy of boulevards, and avenues, and streets.

Yep, you Waka Flocka, Gucci Mane, you T.I., Luda can be the next Harry Belafonte of the struggle. Beyoncé, Rihanna, you can be the next Lena Horne or Mahalia Jackson; of course, in your own way."

He went on to praise Jamie Foxx for his presence at the March on Washington, echoing Harry Belafonte’s comments calling for black celebrities to step up to the plate as leaders in the black community.

“Because unlike some of the black leaders who get so much criticism today, your livelihood as artists don’t depend on keeping people thinking the same way they did half a century ago.”

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Sep 10 2013 at 2:57pm
Sponsored Links

AmiliaCabral View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 2:59pm
Was he doing all this before he came out the closet too?

And he calls artists out but aint he a *black leader*?

Edited by AmiliaCabral - Sep 10 2013 at 3:01pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 3:01pm
“Why am I so sure about that? I want you to ask yourself the last time you heard a young person walking around singing a church hymn?”

LOL
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 3:04pm
Don Lemon is right. Black public figures need to be leaders in the community like him. If y'all can't hear the sarcasm in my post then I don't know what to tell you.

I see him joining Cornell West/Tavis Smiley very soon.
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 3:05pm
cant say I havent heard this sentiment echoed on here before 

Quote those who currently have the label of “black leaders” don’t do enough to move the status quo.
Merin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Merin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 3:08pm
I just want him to get another fade haircut and ask for opinions again. The twitterfest was killing me softly last week.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 3:09pm
This is gonna be one of those 'don't like the messenger, don't like the message' things ain't it?
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 3:16pm
Imo ijs the messenger has told us what he thinks about the Black Community (word to his fix our community comments) so some people are more than likely not going to want to listen too hard to his pov on Black America anymore.

I do think he will get a good reception to his comments on conservative/tea bag media outlets, radio and forums.
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 3:21pm
i can agree with him to a point. you have to go where people have influence and that influence has to have pull with the young to encourage/shape their potential and the future. 

however, their jobs are as entertainers first and foremost. i need more everyday and local leaders in communities/churches/schools/etc. 

and if he wants leaders, he can start by leading by example. 
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 5:05pm
Speaking of black "leaders" why am I just finding out that Rev Al is signed with Cash MoneyLOLDead
Its for a book deal, but still...

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System