Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Natural Hair Care - Archives > General Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedDominican Blow-Out vs. Press/Flat Iron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

Author
B.LUVS.B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dominican Blow-Out vs. Press/Flat Iron
    Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 11:39am
I want to know which one is better for your hair? A Dominican Blow-out to my understanding is when you wash your hair and place setting lotion on your hair and roll your hair with big hard rollers just as you are doing a roller set. You are then placed under the hooded dryer to dry and after the rollers are taken out you blow dry your hair from root to end with a big roller brush and the blow dryer. Which one is less harsh on your hair? Which one do you find more manageable? Thanks
Sponsored Links

MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 4:18pm
I wish people could reply to this damn category, lol. I posted quite a few threads and this place is desserted. Ermm
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 6:24pm

I wish I could answer but there's a real dearth of Domincan Salons in California.   I read a description of what they do at those salons, and it seems like it hurts with all the tugging. 

KhandiGirl! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 12:07pm
I live in new york...where there is NO SHORTAGE of Dominican Salons...

I have never had a Dominican Blowout, but I have seen them done. It seems really harsh on the hair... They wash and set your hair on plastic rollers. Then they sit you under the dryer until dry. Then they unfasten the rollers, and use a handheld hairdryer and a brush to blow the curls straight. It is a long process, but the hair always looks beautiful when it's done.

I am not sure which lasts longer (I assume the DB), but I am almost certain that the flat iron is more damaging, due to the direct heat applied to the hair.

...unless you are using a ceramic flat iron...

I don't think I helped a bit... LOL
B.LUVS.B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 1:04pm
Thank you to those who replied. What is ging on with this catergory, no one cares anymore or what?
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 1:49pm
I know!! No one replies to me anymore and I have some questions that I would really like answered. And I kno that SOMEBODY knows the answer or else I would have been outta here!
FrenchFries View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 2:03pm
I've had a dominican blow out a couple of times....but that was when I had a relaxer so imagine the extra damage on top of the chemicals. My friend had natural hair and got a dominican blow out. I wouldnt advise you to get one when it's humid because it will poof up in a few hours. But a press/flat iron is less damaging because less heat is applied. Each time I got it done...it was so hot my skin got a little burnt from the hot air one time. I mean it was HOTTTTTTT. That alone is a killer on top of the indirect heat. It looked good and it did hide my split ends....but my hair became extremely unhealthy because of it. 
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 10:49pm
Wow really?? I got a blowout at home from a friend of mine and it burned my scalp a few times but it wasn't too too hot. My hair reverted and on top of that it came out bone striaght and silky. I like blowouts because they get the hair silkier then flat irons. I think they are not damaging as long as you use a heat seal and the right teq IMO.
B.LUVS.B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by FrenchFries FrenchFries wrote:

I've had a dominican blow out a couple of times....but that was when I had a relaxer so imagine the extra damage on top of the chemicals. My friend had natural hair and got a dominican blow out. I wouldnt advise you to get one when it's humid because it will poof up in a few hours. But a press/flat iron is less damaging because less heat is applied. Each time I got it done...it was so hot my skin got a little burnt from the hot air one time. I mean it was HOTTTTTTT. That alone is a killer on top of the indirect heat. It looked good and it did hide my split ends....but my hair became extremely unhealthy because of it. 

Wow, this is something I should really look.
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2007 at 8:17pm
I think you should just pay the money for a really, really good flat iron.  I can get my Sedu works wonders and my press lasts for 2 weeks on my natural hair
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic