Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does long term use of silicones cause balding?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection
 

Does long term use of silicones cause balding?

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>




The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 25 2013
Location: usa
Status: Offline
Points: 6702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 12:46pm
I  am finished with this.  I have posted the scientific sources and information I wished to share. I am sure you will continue to criticize them for several more pages  of rants. LOL Please address the OP from here on. I have a life so I can not be sucked into this insignificant, never ending drama anymore LOL
Have fun ladies and enjoy yourselves

PS: I am not using any of the products in question currently I realized this is meaningless to me. I don't use conditioners with my hair in braids unfortunately and I have never used baking soda or vinegar. My last advice to the OP is try different things through trial and error  to find out works for you. I am starting to think it is best not to talk about what you like to use on your hair just as people avoid discussions of religion and politics. Apparently it is a heated issue and best kept to one's self.


Edited by LadyAradia - Mar 28 2014 at 12:51pm
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
exceedinggrace View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: Mar 01 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 170
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote exceedinggrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

I  am finished with this.  I have posted the scientific sources and information I wished share. I am sure you will continue to criticize them for several more pages  of rants.


You definitely didn't read anything she wrote.
Back to Top
Physiqque View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 17 2013
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1318
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Physiqque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 2:18pm
Lmao, I really liked this thread. What a lawyer we have here . But now that I can remember, before for quick stylin and leavin the gel behind,
I used to use Silicon mix on mi hair caked up daily. Then I noticed how dry mi hair was gettin. Currently, I'm in amidst of formulatin mi own hair treatment. It's always been mi dream to own mi salon and hair care line *cosmetologist*
Back to Top
DEE80 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 23 2009
Location: North Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 1296
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DEE80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 6:58pm
I had no idea this thread would blow up like this. My goodness. LOL I was basically looking for a no or yes answer really and a little bit of information. LOL I'm thinking my hair is low porosity, but I can use some protein, like it has to be a light protein. I tried a heavy one and it messed my hair up. I still thank you ladies for all of your comments.
Back to Top
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 02 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 5833
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by DEE80 DEE80 wrote:

I had no idea this thread would blow up like this. My goodness. LOL I was basically looking for a no or yes answer really and a little bit of information. LOL I'm thinking my hair is low porosity, but I can use some protein, like it has to be a light protein. I tried a heavy one and it messed my hair up. I still thank you ladies for all of your comments.


Lol. Yes, debate will happen on a touchy topic like this. Especially when the one you are debating purposely ignores logic and scientific fact. Sorry this ended in a sea of back and forth, but i couldn't let some of those misconstrued facts go about without correcting them.

Well i hope you find what works best for your hair. Listen to your own hair, and if you notice any issues you will be able to identify the cause based on your hair type and porosity. Hope i helped, and i hope people see this thread in the future will have some of their misconceptions clarified.


Edited by pinkecube - Mar 28 2014 at 8:37pm
Back to Top
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 25 2013
Location: usa
Status: Offline
Points: 6702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 7:04am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

...Especially when the one you are debating purposely ignores logic and scientific fact. Sorry this ended in a sea of back and forth, but i couldn't let some of those misconstrued facts go about without correcting them. 

I have tried to ignore your hostile insults and just stick to the facts pinkcube, I have presented only: 
1) Several articles by 2 legitimate recognized scientists on silicones stating they are good for the hair.
2) First hand documentations from individuals describing first hand how and why  baking soda and vinegar have destroyed their hair
3) Candid instructional video by a product manufacturer of hair goods
4) Now factual photos of silicone user's hair 

I will continue to ignore your hostility and continue to not stoop to your level of being insulting. I will continue to deal only with facts. You, however have used a street strategy of slinging  around insults,half truths  and taking many tacky cheap shots like the one above. I guess that is just the type of hostile person you are. And if you can not rely on facts you have to do something huh?
To give OP a REAL and FACTUAL view of what daily use of silicones can do to the hair I had to post the following images 
Prettywitty77 sprays silicone conditioner and water on her afro hair several times per week as her leave in moisturizer. As a matter of fact she uses Hello Hydration which pinkcube said contains many harmful silicones. Here are visual facts of how the silicones have " harmed " her hair.





Edited by LadyAradia - Mar 29 2014 at 8:35am
Back to Top
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 02 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 5833
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 7:58am
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

...Especially when the one you are debating purposely ignores logic and scientific fact. Sorry this ended in a sea of back and forth, but i couldn't let some of those misconstrued facts go about without correcting them.

I have tried to ignore your hostile insults and just stick to the facts pinkcube, I have presented only information and sources for the most part and I will continue to do so and not stoop to your level of being insulting. You, however have slung around insults,half truths  and taken many tacky cheap shots like the one above. I guess that is just the type of hostile person you are.
To give OP a REAL and FACTUAL view of what daily use of silicones can do to the hair I had to post the following images 
Prettywitty77 sprays silicone conditioner and water on her afro hair several times per week as her moisturizer. As a matter of fact she uses Hello Hydration which pinkcube said contains many harmful silicones. Here are visual facts of how the silicones have " harmed " her hair.



You have been hostile, condesending, rude, and using insults and name calling from the beginning, unprovoked. Everything I have given is real and factual based on objective scientific facts, not your opinions. You are going to have to accept that i have already proved my side of the argument. where as you came in here from the beginning, ready to be hostile and everyone is able to see that in your comments.

Now, ignoring that hypocritcal statement, what are prettywitty's hair types. What is her hair porosity. What about the rest of her regimen? You never said weather she only cowashes or not. This directly effects how your hair respond to a product, and I've been saying this from the beginning.

Second do not purposely misquote what I said. Hello Hydration contains one silicone in the first 5 ingredients, I never said it contains many harmful silicones. I said depending on your hair type, constant use of silicones can dry out your hair over time, blocking what should be proper hydration in the hair. There is many a testimony to what i am saying. Check out curly kelz, who wears her type 4c curls in wash and gos. Checkout danabnatural, aketafitgirl. These youtubers will all testify bad experiences with silicones if you contact them.

I actually did extra research on that type of silicone is in the Op's conditioner last night, typed it up on word and came on here early to post it here before I saw your comment. I will paste it below:

Hi, Op, I wanted to give extra information about the type of silicone in your product. The type of silicone in Hello Hydration is Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone.

This silicone is a modified silicone, but it is not water soluble, and forms a cast over the hair. Now because this particular silicone is modified, it does not build up on the hair. But keep in mind it is still not water soluble, and also keep in mind that the more heavy handed you use this conditioner from the get go, the thicker the cast will be on your hair. Especially if your are using it as a leave in, do not be heavy handed with it. Now, There are only two things that can remove this type of silicone. Sodium Laureth Sulfate, and cocamidopropyl betaine.

cocamidopropyl betaine is a gentle cleansing agent. It will not entirely remove the residue, but depending on your combined hair types and how much you use maybe your hair will be able to deal with this. However, if you still notice dryness, that will let you know the residue is to much for your hair type. Do not mistake this however. cocamidopropyl betaine will never remove unmodified un water soluble silicone build up. Now some people may still have a sensitivity/allergy to this cleansing agent. It is derived from coconut and not everyone's hair likes coconut. That again, is purely up to your hair types and personal sensitivites. Only SLS can completely remove the silicone build up. Whether you want to completely remove it depends entirely on your hair type.


http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/06/alternatives-to-sulfate-shampoos.html

"cocamidopropyl betaine is just milder (Journal of Surfactants and Detergents, pp 235-239, 1998) leaving some of the oil layer undisturbed (not necessarily a bad thing for dry hair) and not necessarily removing all build up."

"If you have a look at the chemical structures above, you may notice that the long zig zag portion of the SLS is shorter than that of the cocamidopropyl betaine. This little zig zag portion is the tail part of the surfactant (orange in the diagram below). A shorter tail allows the micelle to form easily while a longer tail, not so much!



Therefore since cocamidopropyl betaine is not as effective at forming micelles, it is therefore not as effective at dissolving oil and therefore not a particularly strong cleanser. "

http://www.pinksith.com/2013/05/silicones-in-hair-care-what-you-need-to.html
"You know how I talked about long term use causing damage to some types of hair, well this is where I explain why.  Non-soluble silicones require the help of sulfate shampoos and cleansers in order to remove the silicone coating from the hair.   This may seem meaningless to some, however if you are trying to retain moisture in your hair then you may want to refrain from using non-soluble silicone products.  Why?  Well, in addition from having to use drying sulfate based cleansers, the silicone coating on the hair prevents moisture, protein, or other products from penetrating the hair shaft.   Additionally, when an overload of silicone products are applied to hair, the buildup from the silicone coating eventually causes breakage(If your hair is already dry or prone to breakage)"


http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones/


"The short answer is that these polymers are not water soluble. The silicone is provided to product manufacturers as a mixture of silicone/cationic surfactant/nonionic surfactant, which enables it to be readily dispersed into an aqueous formulation because this mixture is water soluble. However, once the product is used and the amodimethicone is deposited onto the surface of the hair and forms a film, it is not water soluble."

"These modified silicones seem to be of particular benefit for those of us with damaged hair, permanently colored hair or those concerned about the buildup of conditioning agents. It would be necessary to use a shampoo containing one of the lauryl or laureth sulfates or cocamidopropyl betaine to completely remove this silicone from the hair, which may be of concern to those who prefer to use only conditioner-cleansing methods."


Maybe the mild shampoo you are using contains cocamidopropyl betaine. But co-washing alone would never be enough to completely get off the residue.




Edited by pinkecube - Mar 29 2014 at 8:11am
Back to Top
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 25 2013
Location: usa
Status: Offline
Points: 6702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:16am
I am very sorry you felt I was insulting pink cube. Please forgive the heated exchange. The fact is you think I am insulting and I think the same thing about you. I am willing to call it quits if you are. I get the feeling that you can not stop slinging insults though and move on.

PS I very much agree with the last source you posted stating that silicones  can be very beneficial to certain hairs.


Edited by LadyAradia - Mar 29 2014 at 8:28am
Back to Top
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 02 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 5833
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

I am very sorry you felt I was insulting pink cube. Please forgive the heated exchange. The fact is you think I am insulting and I think the same thing about you. I am willing to call it quits if you are. I get the feeling that you can not stop slinging insults though and move on.

PS I very much agree with the last source you posted stating that silicones  can be very beneficial to certain hair(types, but definitely not for all of them.)


btw I bolded my edition of what should've been said, so as to not be too vague about what I am saying. It seems like you are then admitting that I have been correct all along, since this is what i have been saying from the very beginning.

I will always come back and point out whether you misquote me, and I will point out your conduct in your replies to me as long as you keep replying.

 I can't simply allow someone to misquote what i am saying and try to play word games with it, and I will point out that conduct, because I don't want my message misconstrued.

 Never have i directly insulted you as a person, name calling and giving half quotes or completely misquoting, being purposely vague, and lying. You have done that throughout this debate, and I pointed it out. I never implied that you have no life, never called you a cultic fanatic, brush over relevant objective scientific facts, or twist facts, and didn't misrepresent any of the quotes you made. You have done that repeatedly. Like i said, in the last post we had a heated discussion together. Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I am trying to insult you as a person. It would mar my message and is irrelevant to the points I am trying to make. Now once you start trying to prove your side by getting personal, that's open game to point out what you are doing.




Edited by pinkecube - Mar 29 2014 at 8:46am
Back to Top
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 25 2013
Location: usa
Status: Offline
Points: 6702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:51am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:


I will always come back and point out whether you misquote me, and I will point out your conduct in your replies to me as long as you keep replying.

 



That is where we differ. I did not bother  to mention most of the incidents where you misquoted me or twisted what I was saying because I find it far too exhausting and would have distracted from the message I was trying to deliver.  
Anyways, best wishes and cheers. Enjoy your day and happy hair journey.
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down