Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Natural Hair Care - Archives > General Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedDoes gel damage hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does gel damage hair?
    Posted: Apr 05 2006 at 4:39pm
I was thinking that the days I don't flat iron my hair I can wear my hair the wet style. That's when after you wet your hair you brush it back and put styling gel to get that wet look all day. But I heard gel is bad for your hair and brushing hair while it's wet is bad too. If I was to condition my hair everyday, apply leave-in conditioner, then apply styling gel and brush it back would this damage my hair? I saw this gel at brooks in the black hair care section called ecostyler gel. There was a pink & clear one. I want the clear one but I couldn't find any ingredients on the jar. I think it makes hair stiff but I don't care just as long as it don't damage my hair. I can always rinse out the stiffness anyway. Would brushing hair wet & applying gel damage my hair?
Sponsored Links

sweet_ambrosia View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2006 at 4:58pm

Gels that contain alcohol can be damaging to the hair, certain alcohols can dry out the hair and it can lead to possible breakage. Eco Styler Gel doesnt contain alcohol, but if you use too much you may get build up thats the only down side. Brushing your hair while its wet every day may cause damage, but not necessarily. If your hair is damp not soaking wet it would be okay. I lightly spritz my hair with water and use a bit of curl activator gel (which doesnt contain any alcohol) when I wear buns, ponytails and other updo's, I've never experienced any breakage or damage by doing so.

MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2006 at 5:35pm
Thank you sooo much!!Tongue I guess my hair won't get damaged after all!! I just have one more question. When your hair dries you get shrinkage right. So what if I was to put gel on my ends too would it stay curly or shink?
sweet_ambrosia View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2006 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by MizzCat MizzCat wrote:

Thank you sooo much!!Tongue I guess my hair won't get damaged after all!! I just have one more question. When your hair dries you get shrinkage right. So what if I was to put gel on my ends too would it stay curly or shink?

Right.
It depends, but most likely your hair will shrink a bit and remain curly.

MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2006 at 7:13pm

Will my hair get all poofy/crazy/nappy even if it's gelled up? Or can it hang down like relaxed hair?

Can I get my hair to look like this picture?

Edited by MizzCat - May 02 2006 at 4:09pm
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2006 at 8:24pm
bumping for replies...
PrettyGirl1908 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2006 at 11:33pm

MizzCat I would suggest you use a water base gel and as sweet ambrosia said stay away for alcohol based gels. 

As for the pics: The ponytail curl can be achieved by a rod set.  The other style looks like a wet and wavy type style, I'm not sure about that one I'd try a shake and go if your hair is naturally wavy or if its full of kinks and curls like mine try a twist out with medium to large size twist.  Hope this helps.

MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2006 at 1:48pm

Those pictures I showed were just examples. I wasn't asking if my hair could get curled like that. I was asking if I was to wet my hair and apply gel could I get my hair to hang down like theirs?? You knwo what I mean by hang down right? Can I keep my hair from getting all crazy, poofy, and frizzed up?

PrettyGirl1908 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2006 at 5:13pm
Oh sorry I couldn't help.  The only way I know of to get natural hair to hang down like the relaxed look is to either press or the way I stated above.  Hopefully someone else can help you.Smile
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2006 at 12:02pm

Yea but I think gel would help it hang down. The only way to really know is if I try it myself.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic