Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care Archives > Hair Growth Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Forum LockedDoes black hair grow slower?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
strawberry90 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does black hair grow slower?
    Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 10:08am
    I read on this site that black hair doesn't actually grow slower than white hair n was wonderin whether that's actually right? And also, can all people actually obtain waist length hair, won't hair just shed before it gets that long?
Sponsored Links

MissFallon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 10:12am

Black people's hair tends to be dryer than white peoples hair. Since many white people have oily hair their hair doesn't break as much because it is constantly moisturized. Black people generally have to use moisturizers to keep the balance. They grow the same except its easier for white people to retain the length because of the oily property of their hair. I believe all people can achieve waistlength if they just let it grow and take care of it, regardless of race or age.

strawberry90 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 11:51am
    but if thats the case how come i've never seen a fully black girl with waist length hair, while i've seen lotsa white girls with really long hair? N y is it that ppl are always sayin how long m hair is when its only a few inches down my back... do you mean to say that all of our hair is in bad condition/ breaking so much that I've never cut my hair more than a few centimetres and its just only now about BSL. N sooo many of my friends have such short hair (like only a few inches) and wud like long hair but find that its hard to grow it
Star13 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 12:34pm
Because most black people haven't found this forumLOL Think about all the things black people do to their hair. Relaxing, heat styling, grease. Under those conditions you're not going to find very long hair. The problem that the hair is breaking much faster than it's growing. So it seems as though it is growing slower or not growing at. In some cases the hair may not be growing at all because the pores are all cloged with hair grease. It's not that black people can grow hair. That's ridiculous, it's that they abuse their hair so much that they often don't see much length. So instead of changing their hair care ways. Most people just find it eaiser to assume that they can't grow long hair.
quietone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Star13 Star13 wrote:

Because most black people haven't found this forumLOL Think about all the things black people do to their hair. Relaxing, heat styling, grease. Under those conditions you're not going to find very long hair. The problem that the hair is breaking much faster than it's growing. So it seems as though it is growing slower or not growing at. In some cases the hair may not be growing at all because the pores are all cloged with hair grease. It's not that black people can grow hair. That's ridiculous, it's that they abuse their hair so much that they often don't see much length. So instead of changing their hair care ways. Most people just find it eaiser to assume that they can't grow long hair.

I agree.  Most assume that because their hair has not grown they cannot grow their hair but they do not take care of their hair.  Most of the time they think they are doing the right things for their hair because of the way we've been "taught" to care for our hair and we have not ventured into other methods of hair care or caring for our own hair.  Me, I knew my hair grew long, but I also knew i could pop on a wig or throw some weave up in their.. and its all good.  and then inbetween doing this, I was permanent coloring my hair and relaxing every 4-5 weeks.. thinkin I had to relax once a month and I have 3c/4a hair.. and I didn't even know what a moisturizer was.. like NTM or surge or elasta qp.. so before long my hair had thinned so bad, it was see through.. i had to depend on weave and wigs.. i looked at my hair one day and said this is it.. i'm tired of these hot a$$ wigs and weaves.. went to the bss for products and online to research.. found this forum and longhaircare. and it was on from their.. I grew my shoulder length hair full and thick and now past BSL..  so if you want to do it, you will find a way..
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Star13 Star13 wrote:

I agree Star Wink.  Strawberry, keep reading, there are so many ladies here with long hair, I am so proud of all of them.  This is for real, most people here have albums, and document their progress.
sweet_ambrosia View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 9:11pm
Strawberry, you should check out a few albums on here and LHCF of ladies that have waist length hair and beyond.

I wont say that all people can obtain waist length hair, coz genetics play an important factor. But as long as you take proper care of your hair, anything is possible.

Edited by sweet_ambrosia - Jul 23 2006 at 9:12pm
Jendrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 9:37pm

Black women can grow their hair long I've seen African women, not the Ethiopians and Egyptians with straight or wavy but the nappy hair Africans with long hair. Think about dread locks as well. People grow them real long but it is possible we've just been looking at everything the wrong way. I read and tried Cathy Howse system and it did work but I didn't try her products for a whole year like I should've. I need more money and a job. www.ubhpublications.com if you wanna check out her website and other people who've had success.

iamwhoiamhair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 10:18pm
jendricks right bcause although my sister is not from africa she has hair like she is and hers grows faster than mine and my hair type is 1b . but my mom realized that braids were taking her hair out so she doesnt get braids unless its her own hair dreads grow ur hair but you cant take them out you have to cute your hair an start allover at least thats what the people with dreads say
relaxedblax View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 10:34pm

I know I may get a lot of flack for this but here goes.

I know that black hair can grow with proper care.  However, I think it does grow slower.  I read about a study in Sophisticate's Black Hair that studied black participants and found that their hair grew slower than that of other races. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>