FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Does Autism affect you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Author
iliveforbhm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 1:48pm
Sponsored Links

iliveforbhm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

What is autism how can you have a normal IQ but be autistic

There are different levels, Aspergers is a type of autism, they are not very good at socializing, but they are quite excellent in intellectualizing.

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 2:55pm
I work with a few kids that have it.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 4:48pm
I met a number of them that are or suspected to be autistic when I was in college.
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

I met a number of them that are or suspected to be autistic when I was in college.

When talking about this with people, there seems to be an assumption they are cognitively impaired.
In one of my college chemistry classes, there was this one kid that would be real chatty in class of 200 people, blurting out answers to questions posed to everyone, and basically talking "at" the professor in the middle of lectures.  As weird as he was, his grade was probably highest in the class.
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

What is autism how can you have a normal IQ but be autistic

There are different levels, Aspergers is a type of autism, they are not very good at socializing, but they are quite excellent in intellectualizing.

Yup and people with Aspergers are now trying to be considered separate from the autistic spectrum. They are highly functional but they don't understand social cues.
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 6:38pm
i feel autism is overdiagnosed
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote leftywefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 7:22am
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

When talking about this with people, there seems to be an assumption they are cognitively impaired.
In one of my college chemistry classes, there was this one kid that would be real chatty in class of 200 people, blurting out answers to questions posed to everyone, and basically talking "at" the professor in the middle of lectures.  As weird as he was, his grade was probably highest in the class.

Yep. They can be inappropriate as well by using profanity or sexual language, touching etc. They can be violent and their response to situations can be over exaggerated. In a school setting, this  sets them up to be sent out of the classroom by teachers if they are in an inclusion setting (regular education classroom). Missing class is why some autistic children might be behind in content knowledge. Some of them have additional learning disabilities related to reading, writing, or math, but that's comorbidity and is not related to the autism. Some are placed in a substantially separate classroom where there are only 6-8 students and a special education teacher. Autism looks very different which is why we call it a "spectrum". I've known autistic kids who required a one on one paraprofessional to follow them around all day in every class, and I've also known autistic kids who were up for valedictorian and were extremely independent and high functioning. It's a very confusing disorder because it's rooted in the ability to interact socially.
smaison View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smaison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 8:39am
i use to work with autistic kids but ive stop working with the child and adolescent population completely. i don't know anyone personally that has it.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 11:44am
I have a cousin on my dad's side that has 'autism'. My great-uncle was old with a young wife and the older father/young mother is often the case. My great-aunt is a RN, so she knew how to get proper diagnosis & care for him.

He was very sensitive to noise, used to rock back and forth when he was a little kid. He graduated from college, has a career, is highly functional & well socialized to the point where no one would guess that he has 'autism'.

IMO, he is probably within the autistic spectrum but more on the Aspergers range than textbook autism.

When I was younger, I would have people with autistic relatives tell me off and argue me down and tell me that I was wrong or that I was being ridiculous when I told them I had a older cousin with autism that was in college.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic