Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does anyone feel that "People who look a certain "
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Does anyone feel that "People who look a certain "

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 6:14pm
Op you are Sooo sweet
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

Not necessarily. I was told that I was beautiful multiple times a day by my parents EVERYDAY when i was younger (and they still do it) I didnt believe it. Why? Because I chose to believe what society had to say.  It was an effort for me to break away from that and truth be told I still struggle. My parents love me more than anyone on this planet ever will, yet I didnt believe them. 

Why didn't you choose to believe your parents then since you have the ability to choose what to believe and what not to believe?

Look most of the people who have issues are *&%^$#@Eed over by the people that love them as well as society. As a LS person what did society say about you?
AmyAmyAmy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote AmyAmyAmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 6:19pm
The whole colorism thing is very annoying.
I hate how people are just brushed aside because of one feature.
Junior Jr View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Junior Jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 6:20pm
post a pic, op

no offense, but you might not be that pretty

jr.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (17) Thanks(17)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

post a pic, op

jr.

side eye
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

Not necessarily. I was told that I was beautiful multiple times a day by my parents EVERYDAY when i was younger (and they still do it) I didnt believe it. Why? Because I chose to believe what society had to say.  It was an effort for me to break away from that and truth be told I still struggle. My parents love me more than anyone on this planet ever will, yet I didnt believe them. 

Why didn't you choose to believe your parents then since you have the ability to choose what to believe and what not to believe?

Look most of the people who have issues are *&%^$#@Eed over by the people that love them as well as society. As a LS person what did society say about you?

I still dont know tbh, maybe I thought they had to tell me that because I was their child and thought the "unbiased" opinions were more "accurate"? idk. and it had more to do with my overall appearance rather than just my skin color, although I cant remember a time where I was 'favored' or 'praised' for my skin tone. I did receive negative remarks from some of my DS peers and some extended family members tho. And in my personal HS experience, skin tone didnt matter not one lick. not one.
Becky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Becky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

Really interesting subject. I used to see how people would fawn over my light skin niece but ignore her darker younger sibling (they look very much alike) extremely hurtful. I found myself overcompensating on dashing out compliments to the little one a lot more often. I fawn over both of them but went the extra mile with her. It's like people don't even see the features - just colour. How dumb. 

I have even seen it on here. People are so quick to let you know their skin tone is light in a post for no reason. Cringe-O-Meter. 

I remember when I was expecting my son and a friend was like 'OMG he is going to be SO light'. My son is actually darker than both his father and I. What a frikking stupid thing to say in the first place? and she wasn't alone. From the minute he was born, people kept telling me he was dark - like how come he didn't get our skin tone? ask god. People are so DUMB. 

Colourism is a disease that needs to be stomped out. It's such a desperate sad way to live. 

Seriously. My mother begged me not to marry my husband because he's dark-skinned. I took my son over to my parents' house after he was born. The first words out of my mother's mouth were, "I knew that he was going to be dark. It's fine because he's a boy, but you don't want a girl that color." I didn't even tell her that I was having another girl because I didn't want any of her toxic energy.

My mom told my youngest daughter that she would be so pretty if only she were as light as her older sister. I don't think we talked for maybe 15 years after that.

WOW .. glad you had the presence of mind to keep your kids away from your mother's damanging influence.Dead

This is what all the shrinks say though - THE FAMILY has the biggest influence on a child - no matter what society says.

That's why when I hear Black women complaining about being 'dark' etc .. I don't believe 'society' is really the blame. Yes, society might omit Black beauty in The States (not so much in other places) but it's what your immediate family communicates to you - whether verbal or non verbal that truely defines who you are.

Good on you for saving your girls from that kind of harm

(My mother always told us we were  beautiful .. and we believed her ... THANK GOD!)!Clap

Edited by Becky - Nov 29 2012 at 6:53pm
discreet. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discreet. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

post a pic, op

jr.

I know I am certainly not pretty. I mentioned earlier that those women in the photos are much more beautiful physically than I could ever possibly be! LOL

I hope you didn't interpret what I said as an insult towards women who look like this because I show them much gratitude. 
discreet. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discreet. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

Op you are Sooo sweet

Thank you babyk, that's so nice of you. You are too. Smile Thanks for giving your opinion earlier.
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Aunty Ruckus Aunty Ruckus wrote:

This is what all the shrinks say though - THE FAMILY has the biggest influence on a child - no matter what society says.

Yes, society might omit Black beauty in The States (not so much in other places) but it's what your immediate family communicates to you - whether verbal or non verbal that truely defines who you are.

BHM has made me really appreciate the value of being raised by a family of vain ass women. LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic