Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Does anybody use youtuber made products?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

I don't even buy Miss Jessie's. I'm a fan of making my own concoctions, and so many of the YT "gurus" sound so ridiculous on their videos, I have a hard time believing that they've seriously done the research & QC testing to ensure that their "products" have high efficacy rates with minimal side effects. I'll be my own "kitchen chemist" thank you! 

I don't think Miss Jessie is a real Youtuber though. It's kind of like how brands have YTs rather than an actual person starting off on YT and creating their own products. (Or maybe she did start out as a regular YT but I just searched and I can't find one except the clearly company one curlsgalore) 

But If it's in stores that means it passed FDA and OSHA guidelines I believe. Anyway, always looking at the ingredients are good, because even store bought products can have things that you can have an allergic reaction to, if you yourself are allergic to it, but something w/ for example formaldehyde in it, can't be sold as a hair product in stores. 
Sponsored Links

modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 12:41am
Originally posted by lalaLeslie lalaLeslie wrote:

I don't even buy Miss Jessie's. I'm a fan of making my own concoctions, and so many of the YT "gurus" sound so ridiculous on their videos, I have a hard time believing that they've seriously done the research & QC testing to ensure that their "products" have high efficacy rates with minimal side effects. I'll be my own "kitchen chemist" thank you! 

I don't think Miss Jessie is a real Youtuber though. It's kind of like how brands have YTs rather than an actual person starting off on YT and creating their own products. (Or maybe she did start out as a regular YT but I just searched and I can't find one except the clearly company one curlsgalore) 

But If it's in stores that means it passed FDA and OSHA guidelines I believe. Anyway, always looking at the ingredients are good, because even store bought products can have things that you can have an allergic reaction to, if you yourself are allergic to it, but something w/ for example formaldehyde in it, can't be sold as a hair product in stores. 

What I meant was that, I'm not even willing to buy name brand products that often anymore. Literally when it comes to my actual hair (not extensions), I pretty much keep it very natural and make my own mixes. With the exception of my terressentials mud wash. I don't knock anyone's hustle, but Miss Jessie's has a lot of extra items in it other than simple essential oils & butters.

Having said that, even if I like a youtuber, and there aren't very many that I follow, I'm not just going to buy the product. I'm not a bandwagon PJ as it took a lot of trial and error with my natural hair to get it to where it is now - which is pretty darn healthy. So, I'm not too keen on spending a serious mark up to buy a "natural" product that I could make myself.
butterfly3582 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butterfly3582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by IslandSuga IslandSuga wrote:

If I already have my staple products, no I will not purchase a youtuber's product line. Plus, i'm tired of buying products online, I prefer to buy the same type of their over priced product on the ground.

This I gave up online products a LONG time ago. I found i can get the same results with many products on the ground.  I also dont buy overpriced products on the ground either.  I have learned to keep it simple and reasonable. 

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 6:46am
i went into a pretty popular beauty supply store in nyc  on wednesday and was surprised to see alikay naturals there.  for some reason, it felt like i knew her, but then i was so hesitant to purchase her products.  and i have no real reason why....i mean, i bought other products with just looking at ingredients and making sure i liked the ingredients...but with alikay, i found all kinds of excuses not to purchase.  maybe because i don't see her as extremely well-versed in hair care/science of hair...but again, i have no proof that other small companies making hair products...are either! i only have the absence of proof!
jasijou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasijou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 9:41am
I recently did a review on Alikay Naturals. 
I LOVE the twisted butter....the shine I got is amazing. 
I don't know that I would try any of the other products tho....because they seem a little lite for my hair texture. I do have a sample of the gel I've been meaning to try tho. 

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 12:17am
^^^great twist out!

i guess a butter is pretty hard to get wrong...but it is great when it works really well.

i tried the darcy's botanicals coconut and cupuacu butter and it was a huge fail *my hair hates coconut as a leave in/moisturizer.*

i just figured out that i can use it as a body butter (DUH!!!)...it works WONDERFULLY.  It is ridiculously moisturizing.  i suppose it works marvelously like this on hair that doesn't mind coconut oil.
Elegantmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elegantmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:17pm

sometimes. I just found some products about hair and want to have a try.

Some of them are satisfied, but some are bad. So be careful to treat the

youtuber's products.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 7:00pm

Originally posted by lalaLeslie lalaLeslie wrote:

What I meant was that, I'm not even willing to buy name brand products that often anymore. Literally when it comes to my actual hair (not extensions), I pretty much keep it very natural and make my own mixes. With the exception of my terressentials mud wash. I don't knock anyone's hustle, but Miss Jessie's has a lot of extra items in it other than simple essential oils & butters.

Having said that, even if I like a youtuber, and there aren't very many that I follow, I'm not just going to buy the product. I'm not a bandwagon PJ as it took a lot of trial and error with my natural hair to get it to where it is now - which is pretty darn healthy. So, I'm not too keen on spending a serious mark up to buy a "natural" product that I could make myself.

Oh sorry. And you're right. It is not necessary to buy already made hair products, when you can make your own and they can work better and be healthier for your hair. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

i went into a pretty popular beauty supply store in nyc  on wednesday and was surprised to see alikay naturals there.  for some reason, it felt like i knew her, but then i was so hesitant to purchase her products.  and i have no real reason why....i mean, i bought other products with just looking at ingredients and making sure i liked the ingredients...but with alikay, i found all kinds of excuses not to purchase.  maybe because i don't see her as extremely well-versed in hair care/science of hair...but again, i have no proof that other small companies making hair products...are either! i only have the absence of proof!

Yeah, I see what you're saying. If you did not know the product was simply by a youtuber, you wouldn't be second guessing it. I've seen a lot of not so great, not so well made things at the bss though. Usually when they'll sell it at Sallys, I assume it must be a popular product, and it must work for many people. 
ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Honestly no.  I know so many people will disagree with me and if there was a downvote button, it would be on fire when it comes to what I say:  I never considered purchasing anything from a youtuber because I feel like they are selling a dream/hype.  Especially when they try to slyly or not slyly promote it as a latest growth aid.  "Oh so if I buy this oil, my hair will hit the floor in eight weeks?" or "Oh if II buy your gel/serum or whatever, it can loosen my 4abc hair into 2a hair waves that doesn't frizz in the rain?" *pshhhttt* gurl bye with that nonsense.<mytubeelement turnoffpagedbuffering="false" hideannotations="false" savebandwidth="false" enablefullscreen="true" onlynotification="false" fshd="false" quality="default" autoplayonsmartbuffer="true" autoplayonbufferpercentage="42" autoplayonbuffer="false" autobuffer="false" autoplay="false" hidepopup="false" loop="false" enable="true" loglevel="0" notification="true" desktopnotification="true" id="myTubeElement"><bundle any_moment="Any Moment" sec="Sec" min="Min" hr="Hr" stopped="Stopped" buffering_stalled="Buffering is stalled. Will stop." completed="Completed" will_start_playing_when_initialized="Will start playing when initialized" will_start_buffering_when_initialized="Will start buffering when initialized" waiting="Waiting" calculating="Calculating" adblock_interferance_message="Adblock or similar extension is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add   to adblock whitelist." error="Error" notification_status_delimitor=";" desktop_notification_denied="You have denied permission for desktop notification for site" click_to_enable_for__site="Click to enable for site" off="Off" on="On" not_suped="Not Suped" buffered_message="The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play." hyphen="-" buffered="Buffered" video_buffered="Video Buffered" no_notification_suped_on_your_browser="No notification style suped on your browser version" global_preferences="Global Preferences" estimated_time="Estimated Time" only_notify="Only Notify" loop="Loop" continuation_on_next_line="-" desktop_notification="Desktop Notification" ="" start_playing_when_buffered="Start playing when buffered" smart_buffer="Smart Buffer" percentage="%" label_delimitor=":"></bundle></mytubeelement>  I support those who are offering variety of hair products since everyone's hair doesn't respond well or are allergic to the following ingredients: coconut oil, wheat germ oil, shea butter, mango butter, tree nuts, latex, avocado oil, tea tree oil, etc.

IA 100%
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>