BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Does any attend fashion school?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 3.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dreamz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 8:05pm
thank you for your input ms.bella, i'm learning a bit from you girl!
Sponsored Links

ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by KhadiNiaomi KhadiNiaomi wrote:

Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

I gave some info to someone from my cousins before. One works at Elle, her sister at Vogue. I can look it up and ask them for some advice if you want
OMGOOOOD r u serious wow u guys r just blowing me awaaay :) Yes I would LOVE what schools did ur cousins go to??
I spoke to them.
The funny thing is they both ended up going to FIT after a year at separate schools(one went to parsons the other to pratt but they weren't both accepted at each other's school and they wanted to be at the same school[they're twins])

-know you're fashion, past,present,future
-go to events you can get into and socialize(by tickets to fashion shows, mingle with up and coming designers)
-make new friends(unless your friends now have connections, they aren't who you need to be around at the moment. You need to befriend people who are places, not going. Models who get bookings tends to be a popular place to start)
-Hang out at non fashion places for fashion ideas that are fresh and not a circulation of what's already around e.g. art galleries
- fashion doesn't stop at clothes, shoes, accessories, it also has lifestyle attached to it
-trends on the runway are usually out at least one year before they hit the mainstream.
-You're competing with bloggers, youtube, tumblrs,online fashion magazines, etc. These are girls who live and breath fashion. There are whole youtube channels devoted to teaching girls how to dress and do hair and makeup
-You can't dress someone else until you know how to dress you.
-Everyone is a canvas/completed portrait. Learn from them.
-Know who you are. This industry is beyond rude. One bead of sweat and they will skin you alive.
-Rejection will be the new normal in you life in this industry. Get used to it but don't let it show. You always need to be someone fresh and new no matter how long it takes you to break in.
-Be good at things other than fashion. Take art classes. Definitely take language classes(preferably Italian and French as Italy and France are the other major influences in fashion alongside England)
-NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. They couldn't stress this enough.
-You need to be educated beyond fashion. Many of the people they know who are in the industry didn't go to fashion school. They learned the trade first hand through mentors and experience. Going to a top notch school isn't going to put you ahead.
-Travel. Good stylist draw inspirations from different cultures all around the world.

Be honest with yourself. There are too many girls who want to be in this industry but will never make it. You either have 'it' or you don't. There's no faking it to you make it here. This is and industry where you have to put it all in or you won't succeed. If you aren't willing to go through the nitty gritty to get there, give up now. And when they say nitty gritty, they mean it.

I'll try to put this last part nicely from what they said and one of them told me. The Hills and The City did nothing but give false hopes and dreams to these girls. They all think they're going to be another Lauren Conrad or Whitney or Olivia. Odds are, you won't make close to making it in fashion so you should already have a back up career and plan to get there already in mind. I got a girl who came to our offices for an interview for an internship who was from London. She spent a year traveling through India, Japan, and a few other countries taking photographs and "getting inspired". She went to a top notch school worked with some important people in London and was making her way up. She definitely had her feet on the ground. However, she was just another girl who came out of the fashion machine. Too many girls are the same. They see the end result, their success, the whirlwind trips, parties, fashion shows, red carpets, etc. They don't see the literal tears and heartbreak and multiple failures it takes to make it there if they even do.  Starting from the complete bottom of the barrel and making your way out is NOTHING glamorous. The glamour only comes once you've made it which takes a lot of time and every cell of determination, patience, humility, and hard work you have. In the industry you aren't owed anything and you have to pay dues to even pay your dues. if it's what you want, good luck and go for it. If you have the inkling of indecisiveness, give up now.

ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 8:56pm
Oh yeah, and they said as far as school is concerned, the school you go to only means so much. Your experience is what people are more interested in.
MsBella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by dreamz dreamz wrote:

thank you for your input ms.bella, i'm learning a bit from you girl!

aww thanks! Glad Im helping Tongue
tasty0619 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasty0619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 4:53pm
My sister attends SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) and she loves it. She's not going for merchandising though, she's going for design. So far she has worked with Andre Leon Talley, Zac Posen, and she also worked NY Fashion Week '12 dressing models for Jeremy Scott, Oscar De La Renta, Thom Browne and many other designers. And she has a paid internship for design lined up for this summer.

She said at her school some people aspire to be stylists but they major in design or merchandising. She said she believes both LIM and FIT both have programs for styling and to stay away from Johnson and Wales (aren't they a for-profit school?) The main thing about styling is to get your name out there. The fashion field itself a tough market to break into, but you cannot be opposed to working for free just to get the experience.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 4:57pm

that sounds like a lot of industries

awesome post
dee1672 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee1672 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by tasty0619 tasty0619 wrote:

My sister attends SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) and she loves it. She's not going for merchandising though, she's going for design. So far she has worked with Andre Leon Talley, Zac Posen, and she also worked NY Fashion Week '12 dressing models for Jeremy Scott, Oscar De La Renta, Thom Browne and many other designers. And she has a paid internship for design lined up for this summer.

She said at her school some people aspire to be stylists but they major in design or merchandising. She said she believes both LIM and FIT both have programs for styling and to stay away from Johnson and Wales (aren't they a for-profit school?) The main thing about styling is to get your name out there. The fashion field itself a tough market to break into, but you cannot be opposed to working for free just to get the experience.

Loves SCAD to death! They are taking over Savannah but I still love them. I've seen some famous designers at SCAD events.  There is also a campus in Atlanta but I don't know if they offer the full catalog.
tasty0619 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasty0619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by dee1672 dee1672 wrote:

Originally posted by tasty0619 tasty0619 wrote:

Loves SCAD to death! They are taking over Savannah but I still love them. I've seen some famous designers at SCAD events.  There is also a campus in Atlanta but I don't know if they offer the full catalog.

Lol, yea. It's such a good school with great teachers and opportunities...and I love that they have campuses abroad. I was trying to get her to take a quarter in Lacoste or Hong Kong.

And no, not every major is offered in Atlanta. I believe she said the motion picture majors aren't offered there along with several others.
KhadiNiaomi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhadiNiaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 9:53am
No Im gonna go to LIM because they have majors and concentrations where I could use in the real world and the fashion world Im gonna just go with LIM that was my 1st option anyways. Nvm Johnson & Wales.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345