Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Does any attend fashion school?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 3.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KhadiNiaomi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhadiNiaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does any attend fashion school?
    Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:56pm
I am a senior in high school and just got accepted to Johnson & Wales Fashion Merchandising program in Rhode Island but I want to go to NYC to go to LIM College. I want to be a fashion stylist and I am wondering if any of u ladies are in school for fashion and what are ur experiences like ? Do anyone attend LIM college ? And if u are an aspiring fashion stylist can u please share that too :) thanks
Sponsored Links

Make it Work! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Make it Work! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:27pm
I went to LIM for fashion merchandising for 2 semesters then transferred.  It'a a great school but its very expensive- about $20,000 a year.  Its a very small school and about 95% of the student body is rich white girls from Jersey.  There are not many black students so basically all the black kids knew each other.  A great thing about the school is that they get internships for you.

I transferred because it's just too expensive considering that my parents are paying out of pocket.      ( I don't qualify for financial aid. only loans.)  So right now Im at cuny then i'll be transferring to f.i.t.( a popular suny fashion school only about $5000 a year) for my last 2 years.

My advice would be to complete 2 years at a cc then transfer to LIM, or to go to f.i.t. instead. 

Eden. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Eden. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:28pm
I wonder if bhm is feeling mean today.

*waits*
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:36pm
I gave some info to someone from my cousins before. One works at Elle, her sister at Vogue. I can look it up and ask them for some advice if you want
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:37pm
LIM was my dream schoolCry; got accepted and everythang but momma couldn't afford it. Got accepted at Marymount for a Fashion Merchandising as well but it was too expensive.

So I settled for FIT. Its aight lol, just super competitive.

You'd have to be skripping and selling crack full-time to afford Parsons or Pratt thoughLOL

Edited by blaquefoxx - Jan 14 2013 at 5:42pm
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:42pm
Styling is hard as fucc to get into so my advice would be to master in something else as well. Just in case the styling thing doesn't work out. If you are not styling celebrities, you may be wasting your time (that's what a professor told me years ago).
Styling and fashion/trend forecasting are the hardest occupations to get into...
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Eden. Eden. wrote:

I wonder if bhm is feeling mean today.

*waits*

why would they? a young woman is discussing a potential career path.
dreamz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:52pm
well my niece went to school for fashion something-or-other in minnesota for a two years, then she moved here and went to some school in chicago and earned her 4 year degree.  tens of thousands of dollars later,  she has done seasonal work at area macy's and currently works for merry maids for minimum wage.

my question will always be, if you graduate and do not have insider connections, how likely is it for ou to get a decent paying job that pays your bills and allows you to have some sort of life.

whatever you do, keep your dreams, but use your head to attain them.
mscaribbeanma View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mscaribbeanma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:59pm
I got into LIM actually but  I ended up not going. tuition was 44k and they gave me NO financial aid. It is a GREAT School though. you def get into fashion more and get in the know there and develop though
Lhdc2011 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lhdc2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 6:00pm
Wow dreamz :(

Gl khadi!!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>