Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Types
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedDoes 4b hair look curly when wet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
nancy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does 4b hair look curly when wet?
    Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 12:54am
I'm just wondering becaue if  it does, than that means it does have a curl pattern and if you find the right products you can hold that curl.
My hair is 4b. When it's wet it looks pretty curly but when it dries it turns into coils. Isn't it possible to make it stay curly with the right products?
Imagine just how versatile our hair is. What do you ladies think. I am still learning about hairtypes.
Sponsored Links

B_phlyy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 3:04am
I have 4b hair and I've always known that my hair had curls even though it doesn't necessarily have a curl pattern. A lot of people confuse the two. Just keeping it moisturized and healthy will allow the curls to come through, however, due to shrinkage, the curls will never be as defined or noticeable as say a 4a or 3c.
larry3344 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 11:22am
Hello all BHM ladies I must tell you that I've been lurking on this site for about 2 years and the amount of information that I've found is overwhelming. Now I'll just intriduce myself; My name is Larissa and I live in Canada and O proudly African(from the motherland). Hair and my family has never been an issue I always a lot of hair and my mom had relaxed waistlength hair before she decided to keep it as TWA. My problems really started when I came in contact with a relaxer. Since then My hair has never been the same. All in all, my point long type 4b is not just common among african people but I saw it all the time. There was no need to brag about being mixed because none of us were and we had plenty of hair tp prove it. But now I've started my journey to longer healthier hair.
P.S. Nice to meet all and I am 17 years old if anyone is curious
nancy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 12:11pm
^^Welcome to posting on the forum.

Originally posted by B_phlyy B_phlyy wrote:

I have 4b hair and I've always known that my hair had curls even though it doesn't necessarily have a curl pattern. A lot of people confuse the two. Just keeping it moisturized and healthy will allow the curls to come through, however, due to shrinkage, the curls will never be as defined or noticeable as say a 4a or 3c.
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean about your hair having curls but no curl pattern? I know that 4b  supposedly has no curl pattern, but how would it have curls? What's the diff between curls and curl pattern? Just confused.
 Maybe the whole hairtyping game is not too accurate. I know I'm 4b but how could water make my hair curl if it's not a chemical. Is it accurate to say that 4b has no curl pattern if it's curly when wet, or is hair to be typed only when dry?
I'm so lost I guess.

Edited by nancy - Mar 22 2008 at 12:12pm
9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 1:02pm

You most likely have 4a hair if you're talking about coils when dry.

4b hair doesn't a curl pattern. But that doesn't mean it cant have a few 4a curls mixed in.

IMHO I think you may have 4a have and don't have the correct product OR you have the correct products and have 4a/4b hair.

9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 1:07pm

4b hair is a bunch of tiny zzz.(individual strand) If they clump together to form a z  thats 4a. I'm not saying 4b hair doesn't clump together but when it does clump it doesn't create any type of shape. Think of a blowout..That's what 4b hair looks like.

nancy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 1:59pm
^^ Okay. That clears things up a little. Thanks a lot. I guess I Just need to see a pic of wet 4b hair that doesn't curl up when it hits the water. But it makes sense what you are saying. Most people probably have more than one type of hair. Most 4b's probably have a good amount of 4a hair and that would account for the curls in the shower. I must have some 4a sprinkled throughout because I only get curls in some areas, not all.
Wow, I'm learning!
B_phlyy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by nancy nancy wrote:

^^Welcome to posting on the forum.

Originally posted by B_phlyy B_phlyy wrote:

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean about your hair having curls but no curl pattern? I know that 4b  supposedly has no curl pattern, but how would it have curls? What's the diff between curls and curl pattern? Just confused.
 Maybe the whole hairtyping game is not too accurate. I know I'm 4b but how could water make my hair curl if it's not a chemical. Is it accurate to say that 4b has no curl pattern if it's curly when wet, or is hair to be typed only when dry?
I'm so lost I guess.

What I mean is that 4b hair has very tiny curls on the individual strands, but those strands to not clump or form together in a repeating curl pattern. Think of it this way: A person with natural type 1 hair can put curls in their hair to mimic the curl pattern of a person with natural type 3 hair.  This is how 4b hair is. There are tiny, tight curls, but they do not follow a repeating pattern.
nancy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2008 at 11:06pm
Thanks B_! that was really helpful.  There is so much to learn about hair.
Roge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2008 at 3:16pm
Hey ya`ll, I`m new at this kind of forums and I don`t know if this must be here or not. Anyway, I need some help rom you, I have a 4b hair type and I want to ge a 3c hair type so I`m thinking about using WAVE NOUVEAU COIFFURE from ShoftSheen Carson.

I want to get this kind of hair:

Does anyone use this kind of product? What do you recommend me to use with my hair? Is it imposible for me to get a 3c hair type?

Many thanks to all.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic