Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do You Think Youtube
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus
 

Do You Think Youtube

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>






Author
Princess_S View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 14 2010
Location: Magic Carpet
Status: Offline
Points: 46453
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 6:43pm
I seen someone on ig selling asnon hair as her brand. All I could do is smh
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Sep 11 2011
Location: US-Florida
Status: Offline
Points: 105436
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Pretty_Thick_Me Pretty_Thick_Me wrote:

Im new to the hair game. & yes youtube is where I started to learn my education on hair then found my way on here when I started researching to make a virgin hair purchase. But to me it sounds like hating. Why not as women would you not want the next woman to be able to better herself. To me idc. Because I think every woman has the right to beautiful & I would never hold back something that could possibly help someone feel better about themselves. 


To me, the problem isn't so much fellow consumers. I think the hair game.is going down the toilet cuz there is a high demand and not all vendors can meet it.

It would be no problem if a vendor would be honorable and say, "I have 100 new orders, but only enough quality hair for 85. Let me tell these other 15 I can't help them, or sell them my lesser quality hair at a lower price."

That might be the right thing to do, but from a business standpoint, they'd rather mix in plastic and stringg, stretch what little hair they do have, and sell to 200 people!

It's not hating so much as doing what you have to do to make sure demand won't get so outrageous that you may get a crappy product.
Back to Top
keelolo1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 05 2010
Location: Upintheclouds
Status: Offline
Points: 36281
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote keelolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by KurlieBeautie KurlieBeautie wrote:


^ I understand your point but respectfully disagree with you. Embarrassed There is a difference between sharing info with friends or a small community of people and intentionally broadcasting info to the entire world. If that's the case all businesspeople, no matter what industry they are in are "hating," if they choose not to broadcast their industry secrets. I actually HATE the word "hating" lol. It's so overused nowadays.

Plus, you have situations like Teenut who graciously shared her vendor info with someone and that person used the info Teenut shared to scam the vendor.  Or BHM vets who used a PV for YEARS, and when the vendor got out and got swamped with orders, noticed a sharp decline in the vendor's product. It's nice to pretend this world is one big happy place in which sharing is caring... But unfortunately it is not. I joined BHM when people were sharing vendor info freely and "PV" posts were fewer and farther between. Even then, PV posts were followed by "PM for vendor info" to encourage sharing WITHIN the community of active BHM participants. I totally understand why people stopped posting p0rn and vendor info. That and the fact that everyone's selling hair now! LOL


Couldnt have said it better.
Back to Top
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 25 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 89731
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:50pm
I see both sides of the coin
*death* @ boomshakishay
Now I do understand why a lot of people are clinging for dear Life to their vendors


Edited by AwesomeAries - Nov 15 2012 at 10:51pm
Back to Top
dreamz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 03 2009
Location: in your bidness
Status: Offline
Points: 39986
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by KurlieBeautie KurlieBeautie wrote:

YouTube helped to speed up the already in-motion destruction of the hair game.

There are a lot of people who are too lazy to read and would have been too lazy to come across BHM, but will definitely sit and watch YouTube videos for HOURS. This mostly includes college students and teens, IMO.

In 2008, I was a senior in college when I joined BHM it was because I was transitioning and interested in "premium hair" all my searches about both topics kept coming up BHM. When I joined, it didn't even occur to me to check YouTube for advice about premium hair. I probably would never have done so. Most people didn't know about BHM, and premium hair was the stuff that comes in the box in the BSS. I was personally wearing Outre Velvet Remy. 

Also, a lot of these "gurus" joined around 2010... MAYBE 2009, right around the time that cell phone technology practically exploded with integrated YouTube apps, faster data speeds etc.  So now that everyone's got access to the internet (and thus to YouTube) and people became aware of Ali and AliE.

Enter fly by night hair companies, repackaging and selling CV hair with crazy markup. Thanks YouTube for providing these fly by night companies free marketing! If Guru 1 and Guru 2 who both look great in our weave give a seemingly honest review, others will do the same!

Enter "helpful" gurus, who find out about CVs and broadcast the info. Hooray! Now, Boomshikashay, who only has internet access from her phone, is able to get some good hair too! Hundreds (thousands?) of Boomshikashays hit up CVs and AVs trying to duplicate what they saw on YouTube including AliE, sending screenshots and links of Guru 1 and Guru 2's installs, and even the CVs send Guru 1 and Guru 2 free hair in exchange for good reviews.

Because so many more people found out about the previously less-widely known sources of good hair, the supply can't keep up with the demand. The CVs and fly by night AVs prey on the fact that Boomshikashay gets all her hair knowledge from YouTube instead of more reputable research, call all kinds of processed bs "virgin" and get even more clients.

I don't see it getting better.

Now vendors can send crap hair because it's guru-endorsed and blame the customer when it acts up.





[/thread]
Back to Top
cosmogirl View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 14 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 2449
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cosmogirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 12:54am
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

Originally posted by Pretty_Thick_Me Pretty_Thick_Me wrote:

Im new to the hair game. & yes youtube is where I started to learn my education on hair then found my way on here when I started researching to make a virgin hair purchase. But to me it sounds like hating. Why not as women would you not want the next woman to be able to better herself. To me idc. Because I think every woman has the right to beautiful & I would never hold back something that could possibly help someone feel better about themselves. 


To me, the problem isn't so much fellow consumers. I think the hair game.is going down the toilet cuz there is a high demand and not all vendors can meet it.

It would be no problem if a vendor would be honorable and say, "I have 100 new orders, but only enough quality hair for 85. Let me tell these other 15 I can't help them, or sell them my lesser quality hair at a lower price."

That might be the right thing to do, but from a business standpoint, they'd rather mix in plastic and stringg, stretch what little hair they do have, and sell to 200 people!

It's not hating so much as doing what you have to do to make sure demand won't get so outrageous that you may get a crappy product.

I agree with all points but definitely this ^^^^
Back to Top
solena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Sep 26 2008
Location: Southside
Status: Offline
Points: 17475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 12:56am
nope. not much has changed.
Back to Top
Pretty_Thick_Me View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 17 2012
Location: Nashville/Memph
Status: Offline
Points: 737
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pretty_Thick_Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 1:10am
I think it's sad that ppl are looking down on other black women. Jus because someone may seem ratchet or ghetto doesn't mean they shouldn't be somewhat educated on better quality hair. I feel that if ppl are more educated then they will be able to tell vendors, hey this isn't ways up. If everyone lets the vendors knw that we won't accept this hair and won't buy from you then that would cause them to try and do better and raise the quality but if they knw they can send anything out bcuz these women aren't educated they can send out anything. So why would the ones who are seasoned in the game try & help the newbies. What I seem to witness on here is that a lot of women are rude wen answering a question. & wat I dnt understand is why take the time out your day to comment on someone's question and not help but be rude instead. But truthfully at the end of the day the hair business is a business and that's what businesses are posed to do, grow.
Back to Top
TRENDIIVERSE View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 10 2011
Location: MiseryState
Status: Offline
Points: 1214
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRENDIIVERSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:25am
I think the "Virgin Himalaysian" hair craze will die down after a couple years and people will go back to BSS just because of the hassle of buying online and the fly-by-night businesses selling crappy hair. Maybe that's just my mentality becuase of my city though. Its a growing fad here but I don't see it lasting for long unless there's really this many people really passionate about hair.
Pretty_Thick_Me I know where you're coming from, but I don't think it's because they seem ghetto or ratchet I think it's more about the rave reviews on companies who's quality isn't rave worthy and the misinformation being spread about hair in general. Also, some people don't want to be educated they just want what's now and hot at the moment and right now that's virgin anything. 
Back to Top
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 25 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 89731
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 8:21am
I don't think so these people are eating up this stupidity and these stupid origins of hair
everyone wants to have the next new thing
Vendors like KevinCN are now sending people crap hair
Girls are paying 126 for 10 inches of AliExpress 3 oz bundles
Auntie Shinkashay selling AliExpress hair from her basement
This is just all screwed up, the game is crazy
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down