Do You Think Youtube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do You Think Youtube
    Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:31am
Do you think YouTube ruined or is ruining the hair game yay or nay?
Sponsored Links

MISS CR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MISS CR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 12:39pm
ruined it in what sense? Too many folks buying vendor hair instead of BSS? If that's the case so did BHM. LOL. Seriously, I never had any idea that I could buy hair direct from a vendor at a cheaper price until I found BHM. Many of the YTubers are BHM members anyway.
But I do  think that supply and demand has diminished the quality of hair as a result of YT and the exposure that it created.
TRENDIIVERSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRENDIIVERSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by MISS CR MISS CR wrote:

ruined it in what sense? Too many folks buying vendor hair instead of BSS? If that's the case so did BHM. LOL. Seriously, I never had any idea that I could buy hair direct from a vendor at a cheaper price until I found BHM. Many of the YTubers are BHM members anyway.
But I do  think that supply and demand has diminished the quality of hair as a result of YT and the exposure that it created.

I agree. And I think that YT spreads alot of misinformation.
TrolStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrolStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 2:14pm
What I hate/love are those super happy about something that on youtube looks more like 

and then I can note that even if they give the hair 5 out of 5, I can tell that it's not what I'm looking for.
Leezylocs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leezylocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 3:41pm
I think YT just misinformed people. First they some just be happy to have hair then they only do 4 week updates. I dont think a every week update just monthly really
ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 3:45pm
I think YouTube DEFINITELY helped kill the hair game.

Before you had to really had to love weave and care about quality to want remy or virgin hair and care about origins.

A lot of people only purchase this kinda hair because its the trend and cuz their favorite gurus are doing it, not cuz they actually know what the hell it is or the benefits. Without their favorite YouTube gurus, most of these chicks woulda still been content going to the BSS and calling it a day. I don't think there would have been as much of a demand had it not been for YouTube.

It hurts the true weaveaholics cuz these vendors realize their dealing with a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing so they try to get over on everybody by sending out hair of a lesser quality for inflated prices.

I'm not mad at it cuz that's just how this ish works, but I damn sure wish I stocked up on good hair before this craze took over.
KurlieBeautie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote KurlieBeautie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 4:51pm
YouTube helped to speed up the already in-motion destruction of the hair game.

There are a lot of people who are too lazy to read and would have been too lazy to come across BHM, but will definitely sit and watch YouTube videos for HOURS. This mostly includes college students and teens, IMO.

In 2008, I was a senior in college when I joined BHM it was because I was transitioning and interested in "premium hair" all my searches about both topics kept coming up BHM. When I joined, it didn't even occur to me to check YouTube for advice about premium hair. I probably would never have done so. Most people didn't know about BHM, and premium hair was the stuff that comes in the box in the BSS. I was personally wearing Outre Velvet Remy. 

Also, a lot of these "gurus" joined around 2010... MAYBE 2009, right around the time that cell phone technology practically exploded with integrated YouTube apps, faster data speeds etc.  So now that everyone's got access to the internet (and thus to YouTube) and people became aware of Ali and AliE.

Enter fly by night hair companies, repackaging and selling CV hair with crazy markup. Thanks YouTube for providing these fly by night companies free marketing! If Guru 1 and Guru 2 who both look great in our weave give a seemingly honest review, others will do the same!

Enter "helpful" gurus, who find out about CVs and broadcast the info. Hooray! Now, Boomshikashay, who only has internet access from her phone, is able to get some good hair too! Hundreds (thousands?) of Boomshikashays hit up CVs and AVs trying to duplicate what they saw on YouTube including AliE, sending screenshots and links of Guru 1 and Guru 2's installs, and even the CVs send Guru 1 and Guru 2 free hair in exchange for good reviews.

Because so many more people found out about the previously less-widely known sources of good hair, the supply can't keep up with the demand. The CVs and fly by night AVs prey on the fact that Boomshikashay gets all her hair knowledge from YouTube instead of more reputable research, call all kinds of processed bs "virgin" and get even more clients.

I don't see it getting better.

Now vendors can send crap hair because it's guru-endorsed and blame the customer when it acts up.
WhitWhit86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhitWhit86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 5:10pm
I agree with you 100%
Pretty_Thick_Me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pretty_Thick_Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 5:28pm
Im new to the hair game. & yes youtube is where I started to learn my education on hair then found my way on here when I started researching to make a virgin hair purchase. But to me it sounds like hating. Why not as women would you not want the next woman to be able to better herself. To me idc. Because I think every woman has the right to beautiful & I would never hold back something that could possibly help someone feel better about themselves. 
KurlieBeautie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote KurlieBeautie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 5:50pm
^ I understand your point but respectfully disagree with you. Embarrassed There is a difference between sharing info with friends or a small community of people and intentionally broadcasting info to the entire world. If that's the case all businesspeople, no matter what industry they are in are "hating," if they choose not to broadcast their industry secrets. I actually HATE the word "hating" lol. It's so overused nowadays.

Plus, you have situations like Teenut who graciously shared her vendor info with someone and that person used the info Teenut shared to scam the vendor.  Or BHM vets who used a PV for YEARS, and when the vendor got out and got swamped with orders, noticed a sharp decline in the vendor's product. It's nice to pretend this world is one big happy place in which sharing is caring... But unfortunately it is not. I joined BHM when people were sharing vendor info freely and "PV" posts were fewer and farther between. Even then, PV posts were followed by "PM for vendor info" to encourage sharing WITHIN the community of active BHM participants. I totally understand why people stopped posting p0rn and vendor info. That and the fact that everyone's selling hair now! LOL

Edited by KurlieBeautie - Nov 15 2012 at 5:56pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>