BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Do you stand or walk up Escalators?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HeyBeautiful18 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyBeautiful18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 7:59am
I stand. And them hop/jump over that last step. Just because

Edited by HeyBeautiful18 - May 08 2014 at 8:00am
Sponsored Links

Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 8:56am
Originally posted by JasmineE02 JasmineE02 wrote:

LOLLOLLOL
Ds2nice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ds2nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:18am
Walking up the escalators occurs more in busy cities or during rush hour.   Standing on the left side in the NYC Port Authority station during rush hour will probably get your a$$  trampled over or stabbed. 
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:35am

DC Mythbusting: Stand to the Right!

Photo courtesy of
‘Stand on the right?’
courtesy of ‘karthikkito’

It’s probably the number one gripe about tourists: they stand on both sides of the escalators on Metro, blocking the left side that is generally understood to be for walking.  We Washingtonians understand that you stand to the right and walk on the left– there are even Facebook groups and t-shirts supporting the concept– but there are no formal signs on or near the escalators that say so.  Why not?  Rumors range from the theory that having people walk on one side and stand on the other leads to an unequal balance of weight and causes escalators to break down more frequently, or the theory that Metro doesn’t want to formally endorse a ‘stand right/walk left’ policy for liability and safety reasons.  But what’s the real reason there aren’t signs telling tourists to stand to the right?

It’s complicated.  WMATA Spokesperson Ron Holzer says that Metro recommends that all “riders stand and hold the hand rail as the safest way to go up and down and enjoy the ride”, as this is what escalators were meant to do.  Escalator steps weren’t intended for walking, and they are taller than typical stairs, which increases the risk of tripping or being injured.  Mr. Holzer says simply, “People shouldn’t walk on moving escalators.” That gives us Reason #1: It’s safer to stand still on escalators.

Photo courtesy of
‘i have an escalator problem.’
courtesy of ‘volcanojw’

That being said, Metro has unofficially endorsed the ‘stand right/walk left’ philosophy.  They posted signs about “escalefters” back in 2006 and ran announcements saying “You’ll notice that most people stand on the right side” of escalators starting in 2007.  But why haven’t they posted simple signs on the escalators themselves?  Wouldn’t that be the easiest way to clue visitors in to the unofficial policy?

Yes, but don’t hold your breath for ‘stand right/walk left’ signs to pop up on escalators anytime soon.  Despite the fact that Dan Tangherlini supported the idea of signs in June 2006, and Metro said they were working with local jurisdictions to post the signs in May 2006, they still haven’t appeared in stations.  And that’s because of Reason #2: Signs on escalators violate US safety codes.  According to the Washington Post, “the national safety code for elevators and escalators does not allow non-cautionary signs to be posted within 10 feet of an escalator.”

Photo courtesy of
‘Escalefter’
courtesy of ‘kendrickhang’

Since there will be no official signs coming anytime soon, what’s the best way to inform tourists about this DC custom? Let’s say your train is pulling into the station, but tourists who don’t know any better are blocking your way down the escalator to catch that train.  In this case, it’s probably ok to politely say “excuse me” and inch around them.  And maybe it’s alright to mention to a chaperon of 20 escalefting children that it’s customary to stand to the right and walk on the left of Metro escalators.  But really, we should probably all stop being so Type-A about this and relax– the tourists don’t know they’re doing anything wrong, and Metro can’t post signs about the issue.  So your choices are to politely mention the ‘stand right/walk left’ philosophy to escalefting tourists (and risk being seen as an impatient big-city jackass), or just relax and enjoy the ride.

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/07/20/dc-mythbusting-stand-to-the-right/

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:37am
Never even occurred to me to walk while on a escalator until recently.

The first time I was on one was when me and my scholars bowl team went to New York and there was one in the hotel.

One of us left something in the room so we went to get it.
We tried walking up but were getting no where.
Our dumbasses took the wrong escalator.

I know the locals thought we were country bums
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:39am
woooooooow jones… 
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:40am
to answer the question though it depends on if im in a rush 

Bonjour baby ooowee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour baby ooowee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:56am
I sit down might seem awkward but it's fun
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:58am
Leave me alone Coco I was 15 lol.

That still sounds bad but it was our first time
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 11:32am
I stand.

If I wanted exercise, I'd go take the stairs.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>