Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic Closeddo you shut your cellphone off at the movies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Princess_S Princess_S wrote:

A retired police officer shot AND KILLED someone at the movies for texting his daughter during the movies  previews this past weekend i believe. 

once again............FLORIDA

Confused

the hale is his problem?
Sponsored Links

Mixer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

eta: ^^^ keep it up bunny!! LOL
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

wasn't there an incident in the news about a woman texting there and kicked out?? or somewhere like that?
there was one person a while ago (years) who left a voicemail about it and they made the voice mail into a warning shown before the movie and, most recently, madonna was banned due to texting during a film screening (12 years a slave). LOL
Are you trying to make BHM  hate Madonna?LOL
bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:26pm
i don't think its that big of a deal (to text, holding a full convo is much different)

we live in a techie(? i guess that's the word LOL) driven world

where i live you see nothing but people on electronic devices...while walking, driving, on the train...i don't see why a movie theater would be any different

just watch the big screen and mind ya biz

definitely not worth shooting someone over it...smh
bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:27pm
oops didn't answer the question Embarrassed

i don't like going to the movies so i RARELY go, but if i do my phone is on silent (not vibrate) and if i need to respond to a text message i will, you can adjust the brightness on your screen so as not to disturb others

again, no biggie
fckwitmeuknoigotit View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

tbh i find people crunching on nachos more distracting than cellphones.

ok. I wasn't going to say anything because I know I'm weird LOL. But those crinkling bags and crunching bothers me too. and the slurping LOL

which is why I stays home  LOLLOL

me too. this is what bothers me most. if i'm at the movies, i'm keyed in on the big screen but someone sitting next to me crunching on nachos is distracting as hellAngry
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:32pm
I do what bg does... silent and dim the brightness. People always text/call when I'm at the movies.
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:34pm

The evidence of guilt is significant’: Former cop held without bail in fatal shooting at Florida movie theater

Police say retired Tampa police captain Curtis Reeves, 71, shot and killed a young father who was texting during a showing of the Mark Wahlberg flick 'Lone Survivor.' Reeves, a respected ex-SWAT team chief, is facing second-degree murder charges in the death of Chad Oulson, 43. A woman told investigators she believes Reeves told her to stop texting at the same theater on Dec. 28 and glared at her afterwards.

Comments (209)

BY PHILIP CAULFIELD / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

UPDATED: TUESDAY, JANUARY 14, 2014, 4:49 PM
< border="0" ="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" ="0" ="0" width="100%" id="I2_1389738475659" name="I2_1389738475659" ="https://apis.google.com/u/0/_/+1/fast?usegapi=1&bsv=o&size=medium&annotation=none&width=&hl=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fcops-friends-stunned-respected-captain-movie-theater-slaying-article-1.1578945&g=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.p8zQ-yrZkMU.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DIQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAItRSTP5SMG-5JMHzDXostuhL3u7CkGJBw#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_%2C_%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cd%2Ce%2C&id=I2_1389738475659&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com&pfname=&rpctoken=42345900" -gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10px; vertical-align: line; width: 32px; : none; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; -: none; : static; top: 0px; left: 0px; visibility: ; height: 20px;">
Print
SHARE THIS URL:< id="bitly_copy_" allowtransparency="true" border="0" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; width: 238px; height: 30px; overflow: ; visibility: ;">
< border="0" ="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" ="0" ="0" width="100%" id="I3_1389738475675" name="I3_1389738475675" ="https://apis.google.com/u/0/_/+1/fast?usegapi=1&bsv=o&size=medium&annotation=none&width=&hl=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fcops-friends-stunned-respected-captain-movie-theater-slaying-article-1.1578945&g=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.p8zQ-yrZkMU.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DIQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAItRSTP5SMG-5JMHzDXostuhL3u7CkGJBw#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_%2C_%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cd%2Ce%2C&id=I3_1389738475675&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com&pfname=&rpctoken=37510957" -gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10px; vertical-align: line; width: 32px; : none; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; -: none; : static; top: 0px; left: 0px; visibility: ; height: 20px;">
   Curtis Reeves, 71, who shot and killed a man during a movie in Tampa, Florida appears in court.&nbsp;

NBC NEWS

Curtis Reeves, 71, appeared for a bond hearing Tuesday in a Florida court. A judge ordered him held without bail.

The retired Florida cop who allegedly shot and killed a young dad who was texting during a movie "had every right to defend himself" after the man hurled a bag of popcorn at him, his lawyer said in court. 

But authorities said Tuesday there was no physical contact between Curtis Reeves and his victim Chad Oulson before he allegedly shot Oulson in the movie theater.

Reeves, 71, made his first appearance in court Tuesday to face second-degree murder charges for allegedly killing Oulson, 43, during an argument over texting at a Tampa-area theater Monday. 

Judge Lynn Tepper ordered Reeves held without bond and rejected the defense's claims that the murder charges were too severe.

"The evidence of guilt is significant," Tepper said.  

Curtis Reeves, 71, a former Tampa police officer, is seen being taken into custody after a fatal shooting at a movie theater in Wesley Chapel, Fla., on Monday.

WFTS

Curtis Reeves, 71, a former Tampa police officer, is seen being taken into custody after a fatal shooting at a movie theater in Wesley Chapel, Fla., on Monday.

And it may not be the first time Reeves confronted a fellow movie patron over texting as investigators are looking into another incident that may have involved the suspect less than three weeks ago.

At the same movie theater on Dec. 28 a woman told the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office she was texting during a movie and a man she believed was Reeves told her to put her phone away, Stacey Sumner, an assistant prosecutor with the Assistant State’s Attorney Sixth Judicial Circuit told The News.

RELATED: 2 PEOPLE SHOT IN TAMPA-AREA MOVIE THEATER: COPS

He then got the manager and the woman complied, Sumner said. But after the movie on her way to the bathroom she said she saw the man she believed to be Reeves glare at her, Sumner said.

The sherriff’s office did not return a request for comment about the incident. Sumner declined to discuss any other part of the case.

Nicole and Chad Oulson were waiting to see the movie Lone Survivor at the Tampa-area theater on Monday when Chads texting during the previews led to a violent confrontation, authorities said.&nbsp;

CHAD OULSON/FACEBOOK

Nicole and Chad Oulson were waiting to see the movie 'Lone Survivor' at the Tampa-area theater on Monday when Chad's texting during the previews led to a violent confrontation, authorities said. 

READ THE POLICE REPORT BELOW

The onetime SWAT team chief appeared at the hearing via a live video feed. He was shirtless and wearing a black padded vest.

His manner was grave and he said little, responding only "yes, ma'am" when asked if he intended to hire his own lawyer, and "yes, sir" when a defense lawyer told him they'd speak privately after the hearing.

It was a grim scene for the respected former police captain, who just 24 hours ago was settling in with his wife for a matinee showing of the Mark Wahlberg flick "Lone Survivor" at the Cobb Grove 16 theater in Wesley Chapel. 

Police and witnesses said he and Oulson, who was also with his wife and sitting in front of Reeves, got into an argument because Oulson was texting during the previews. 

Curtis Reeves, 71, was a respected Tampa police captain who retired in 1993. He went on to head-up security for a theme park and was a member of a local Crime Stoppers organization.

TAMPA BAY TIMES

Curtis Reeves, 71, was a respected Tampa police captain who retired in 1993. He went on to head-up security for a theme park and was a member of a local Crime Stoppers organization.

RELATED: FAMILY OF SLAIN EX-FOOTBALL PLAYER FILE SUIT AGAINST NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIALS

The squabbling escalated into bloodshed when Reeves drew a .380 caliber pistol and shot Oulson once in the chest, authorities said. 

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office said in a report that Oulson flung a bag of popcorn at Reeves, but the two didn't exchange blows. 

After his arrest, Reeves told police "he was in fear of being attacked" when he pulled the trigger, the sheriff's report said. 

The shooting stunned Reeves' friends, neighbors and former colleagues on the force, who said he never showed any sign of a short fuse.

Oulson, 43, seen here with his wife, Nicole, and their daughter, was fatally shot in the chest after he allegedly refused to stop sending text messages in the theater and then got into an argument with Reeves. His wife was shot in the hand.

FACEBOOK

Oulson, 43, seen here with his wife, Nicole, and their daughter, was fatally shot in the chest after he allegedly refused to stop sending text messages in the theater and then got into an argument with Reeves. His wife was shot in the hand.

"In my opinion, he was the best of the best," retired Tampa cop Carson Helms, who served on accused shooter Curtis Reeves' tactical squad in the 1980s, told the Tampa Bay Times.

"I don't know what caused this to happen," Helms, 59, said. "I think Curtis is a good man."

In a statement, Tampa police confirmed Reeves was a captain when he retired from the force in 1993.

RELATED: FIVE ARRESTED IN KILLING OF FORMER MISS VENEZUELA AND EX-HUSBAND

While there, he helped launch the department's SWAT team unit, the department said.

Charles Cummings, 68, left, and his son Alex Cummings, 34, witnessed the shooting inside the theater. They said the fight escalated after Reeves left to the theater to complain about Oulsons texting and Oulson confronted him about it.

WILL VRAGOVIC/AP

Charles Cummings, 68, left, and his son Alex Cummings, 34, witnessed the shooting inside the theater. They said the fight escalated after Reeves left to the theater to complain about Oulson's texting and Oulson confronted him about it.

He later went to head-up security for Busch Gardens and was a member of a local Crime Stoppers organization.

Neighbors in the 71-year-old's quiet Brooksville community were similarly stunned that the smiling retiree often spotted on walks with his wife could shoot man over something as trivial as a text message.

"I've never seen him angry. … If I needed help with something, he was always there to help," Bill Costas, who lived near the home where Reeves and his wife, Vivian, lived for nearly a decade, told local News 13.

"It just doesn't make sense to me. Not from what I know of him."

Authorities and witnesses said the chilling encounter began after Reeves grew angry that Oulson was sending text messages as previews rolled inside the cineplex's theater 10. 

The shooting occurred inside The Grove 16 theater in Wesley Chapel at around 1:30 p.m. About two dozen theatergoers were getting ready to watch Lone Survivor, an Afghanistan war flick starring Mark Wahlberg.

MIKE CARLSON/REUTERS

The shooting occurred inside The Grove 16 theater in Wesley Chapel at around 1:30 p.m. About two dozen theatergoers were getting ready to watch 'Lone Survivor,' an Afghanistan war flick starring Mark Wahlberg.

Charles Cummings, 68, who was sitting nearby with his son, Alex, 34, said Reeves asked Oulson to stop several times, but was brushed off.

RELATED: PARENTS NOW SAY DRUNKEN TEENAGE SON'S KILLING WAS MURDER

Reeves then stormed out of the theater to complain to the theater's management, authorities said.

When he returned, Oulson, who was sitting with his wife, confronted Reeves about going to the staff, and claimed he was sending messages to his young daughter.

The men began to argue, and it got physical, authorities and witnesses said.

Patrons leave the theater after the shooting. No one else was injured in the incident, and the theater remained closed on Tuesday.

CLIFF MCBRIDE/AP

Patrons leave the theater after the shooting. No one else was injured in the incident, and the theater remained closed on Tuesday.

"Somebody throws popcorn. I'm not sure who threw the popcorn," Charles Cummings told reporters outside the theater Monday.

"And then bang, he was shot."

Cummings said Oulson slumped over onto him and his son. He tried to speak, but blood was seeping from his mouth, they said. 

As Alex Cummings called 911, theatergoers who said they were nurses began performing CPR, authorities said.

RELATED: TEEN SHOT IN BROOKLYN WAS AN INNOCENT BYSTANDER: MOM

Neighbors and friends described Reeves as a good man and a friendly, helpful neighbor. Ive never seen him angry, one neighbor told local News 13.

WFTS

Neighbors and friends described Reeves as a good man and a friendly, helpful neighbor. 'I've never seen him angry,' one neighbor told local News 13.

Meanwhile, Reeves sat down and placed the .380 caliber pistol in his lap, CNN reported.

An off-duty Sumter County deputy who was in the theater detained him until police arrived, Nocco said.

It's not clear whether the unnamed off-duty cop was armed.

"He ran into the hot zone," Nocco said, according to The Times.

Oulson was taken by ambulance to a Tampa area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Pasco Sheriff Chris Nocco, front, walks out to update reporters after the shooting. To have a retired police officer — I dont know what he was thinking at the time, Nocco said. Its ridiculous.

BRENDAN FITTERER/AP

Pasco Sheriff Chris Nocco, front, walks out to update reporters after the shooting. 'To have a retired police officer — I don't know what he was thinking at the time,' Nocco said. 'It's ridiculous.'

His wife, Nicole, was wounded. She was holding her hand up near her husband's chest when the single round was fired, authorities said.

Nocco told reporters the slaying left police bewildered.

< style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; line-height: inherit; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; width: 0px; height: 0px;">

"To have a retired police officer — I don't know what he was thinking at the time," Nocco said. "It's ridiculous."

The theater, part of the Birmingham, Ala.-based Cobb Theaters chain, was evacuated after the shooting and remained closed Tuesday. 

In a statement, the company said it was "truly heartbroken" by the incident. 

Outside the theater after the shooting, Cummings and his son appeared spattered with blood as they spoke to reporters. 

"I can't believe people would bring a gun, to a movie," Cummings said. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn. Over a cellphone."

The theater was slated to re-open Wednesday, the company said. 

With News Wire Services

Zoom
p. 1

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cops-friends-stunned-respected-captain-movie-theater-slaying-article-1.1578945#ixzz2qPlqVMat
Mixer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:35pm
Maybe I have tunnel vision. I pretty much never notice anyone using their phones or eating.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:39pm
I edited my original P .. but when I said off, I meant silent not OFF

edit: sorry, I meant silent. I never turn my phone off (on purpose lol). Which is why in my mind, off = silent LOL. that's what I was thinking
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Mixer Mixer wrote:

Are you trying to make BHM  hate Madonna?LOL
having been a madonna fan since i was 4, no. not at all. LOL
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs