Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Do you believe in role models?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
princesshoneybee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you believe in role models?
    Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 12:04am
I never understood the concept of them. I think everyone has their own luck, circumstances and personality that affects who they are and what they can achieve.Just because something works for someone doesn't mean it will work for me. Do you have a role model? How do you feel about the concept?
Sponsored Links

sache1991 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sache1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 12:06am
Denzel Washington is who my swag is modeled on. LOL

Kids believe in them (follow what they do) so that's all that really matters. (Good or Bad)
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 12:11am
Oui and no.
I side eye anyone who use celebs as role models as they are human.
You are responsible for your own decisions and actions. Growing up though, you do need people to model good behavior. However, there are many people who've had nothing but bad examples in their life and are exceptional human beings.
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 12:37am
i think the purpose of a role model has missed you.

its not so that you can follow their exact footsteps... " just b/c something works for someone doesn't mean it will work for you"

but its to see someone who has done something substantial w/ what they were given--and you seeing that.. and appreciating them for that... and then doing your own thing -- and hopefully doing that well.
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 12:56am
i have role models

many of them are my friends that have become very successful in different aspects of their lives; it's encouraging

i find it hard not to have a role model
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 12:59am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

Oui and no.
I side eye anyone who use celebs as role models as they are human.
You are responsible for your own decisions and actions. Growing up though, you do need people to model good behavior. However, there are many people who've had nothing but bad examples in their life and are exceptional human beings.

I agree with a lot of this. Role models should be someone you can actually come to as a mentor. Celebrity role models aren't ideal as more than likely you'll never meet the person in real life. You can respect a celebrity's hustle/work ethic/etc...but saying they're an idol or role model is (in my opinion) taking it too far.

Edited by modelbusiness82 - Mar 06 2013 at 12:59am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 12:59am
Black people, more so than anybody, should know the importance of role models 
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 4:20am
I believe in role models for kids. Growing up kids made fun of my forehead, but Tyra Banks helped me accept my big forehead. Kids teased me for being dark, but Kenya Moore helped me see my skin's beauty, etc.

Now, as a grown woman, I believe more in mentors. Granted my mentors are State Supreme Court Judges, Federal Judges, and partners at major law firms, but you get the idea. I mentor high school and college kids now. I think role models help adolescents on their journey to self acceptance, but mentors inspire you to excel.
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 4:34am
Yes, I believe in role models; I don't doubt their existence. Effect not affect. The role model concept is a good one. It works best when someone is there to explain that people make mistakes. When holding people in such high regard, we as people, tend to forget that.
keelolo1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote keelolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 7:07am
My mother is my role model.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic