Do you Agree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Up&Out39 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Up&Out39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you Agree?
    Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 11:45pm
Jacked from LSA...

All these hair threads and debates, on forums, youtube, and other platforms have become slightly annoying to me. I do think that there are ways to have healthy discussions on natural hair, and sometimes these discussions are necessary, but I'm realizing that this "natural hair movement" has in some ways (and no this aint about the white girl natural thread..she needed that ass dragged so I approve) become so dramatic, and invested, and divisive. 

Now, before anyone groans me (lemme explain..)...I think the issue is a lot of folks secretly still have issues with "owning" their hair textures. As much as we think we've "progressed" and we're so "united"...we're still having debates and trying to discern hair types and sh*t in 2014. Hair is taking up some peoples lives and if it is change it! Cut it, shave it, dye it, weave it, braid it, but we have so much BIGGER fish to fry than hair! Black women we have SO much more to offer our community and the world than our hair, and I hope to eventually see those who choose to have a platform (vlogging, blogging...) become more versatile in their content. 

My point is..I would like to see something different. I stopped really watching youtube videos because the content just didnt fit my lifestyle anymore. But I would like to see more black women with videos of international travels, black women in technology, hobbyist, lifestyle vlogs, DIY, home renovations, or just different things. I love DIY's, I love travelling, trying new restaurants, discovering new neighborhoods, thrifting--I would love to see someone who looks like me doing things that will give me some inspiration/ ideas. We are so much more than hair and get ready with me videos. Imagine the possibilities. We limit ourselves, and then get upset about being underrepresented. While it is only half the battle, we still need to step outside the box!

We are SO focused on hair, we forget that there is a BIGGER market for people who are into other things. While I don't really care for Jouelzy's delivery, I appreciate her trying to branch out on other topics and am still subscribed to her for that reason. I even had to unsub from Nap, because it just got boring. I am not going to spend my days watching another black woman flip her hair around.. 

I don't know if this is a rant. I just want to see us do more..than hair.

*Feel free to send me some interesting black women to sub too, with non-hair related topics*

I Agree with her. Maybe I live under a rock because I don't even go on youtube that much or follow people; so Idk if there are any black youtubers who don't just vlog about hair. If you do, drop some links please!

What do yall think? She makes me want to start a vlog or something myself. Some ladies on here seem so versatile. I see posts of food that was made that look delicious (cooking vlog?) and people who travel to cool places(coconess Embarrassed)
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 11:49pm
I'm tired of yall talking about something you enjoy....talk about what I wanna talk about face ass.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 11:56pm
lol @ unsubscribing to Nap b/c she got tired of seeing her "flip" her hair
I guess she was solely subscribed to Nap's hair channel

Nap has 2 other channels. One is her blog (I posted it here the other day) and the second is a Style channel. If you wanna see Black women talk about something other than hair then find those women. They are out there, it's not that hard to find but I do agree that Black women are generally obsessed with all things hair related

Edited by Alias_Avi - Jun 30 2014 at 11:57pm
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 11:57pm
there are outlets for every kind of genre imaginable. if you seek it out, you'll find it. 
Up&Out39 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Up&Out39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:03am
Can yall drop some links please

Do I just type into youtube "black cooking channel" or "black gardening channel" ? Help a girl out...Cry
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:11am
Off the top of my head...
Food channelss: Iheartrecipes; divascancook
Lifestyle/business/minimalism: happyblackwoman
Blogs: Minimalist Beauty (natural hair/body, minimalism, thrifting); Joy the Baker (food)
Instagram: travelnoire

Up&Out39 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Up&Out39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:19am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Off the top of my head...
Food channelss: Iheartrecipes; divascancook
Lifestyle/business/minimalism: happyblackwoman
Blogs: Minimalist Beauty (natural hair/body, minimalism, thrifting); Joy the Baker (food)
Instagram: travelnoire

I wish I can thank you twice. thanks maysay
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:31am
A black cooking channel? Divascancook
Fitness  HangTightwMarC
All things Kpop ChoNunMigookSaram

DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 4:04am
ALIAS.....IS CHONUNMIGOOKSARAM still  teaching in Korea? i was shocked when i watched one of her videos and she said she was black( well part black)...she is beautiful..

Edited by DiorShowGirl - Jul 01 2014 at 4:05am
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 7:41am
BHM won't let me be great with posting today.

But yeah. She didn't hit up Google before writing that post because we're out there.

Also travelnoire.com. On my phone so can't make it clickable but an acquaintance from my university started that website with the sole purpose of helping Blacks travel more and within your means. She posts tips, deals on flights, stay, etc.

Edited by callmeDEva - Jul 01 2014 at 7:44am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>