Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo west indians consider themselves black?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 54>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
Dakotablu View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:31am
Originally posted by lucy1987 lucy1987 wrote:

Dakota and Ming, I can see that since a lot of Indians still use the caste system.

Most of the Dougla I see in Trini are dark anyway, with dark straight hair, including myself so I never noticed much of a difference, especially within my family, we all look just about the same.

I know in the US and India though, the lighter the skin, the prettier you are. I've had Indian men in the US make comments about how "tan" my skin is compared to the lighter Indians.

They do use the caste system. Here in W.I they will come out and ask me if me mudda or fadda dougla. I give them the Confused face. in the states they ask where I am from or if I am ethipoian ALOT. not if I am mixed. People that focus time on that I give them the Confused cause my family "looks" mixed or whatever they call it.  My hair another story..people look at it like wait is she mixed then again naw..my stylist even say she has never saw hair like mine. The whole front is a different texture to the back. the middle of my nape is actually 2 type literally STRAIGHT so is some parts of my crown. I use to cry because I thought my perm wasn't growing out but its growing straight. I HATE IT!!!!
Sponsored Links

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:31am
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

All of this not black, black, WI, AA sh*t is bullsh*t anyway.

It's just a few steps away from the ridiculous, white men fed ideas that diseased the Hutus and the Tutsis.

Lamp

brown people unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CryHeart

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Jun 25 2010 at 10:33am
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:32am
Originally posted by JasonWllms55 JasonWllms55 wrote:

i noticed this when i was doing census interviews, alot of them did not want me to check off black/african american box...there has been a long standing beef btw west indians and african americans

what is this all about...do you have any insight?
rr11l07 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:34am

Dakota and Ming, I can see that since a lot of Indians still use the caste system.

Most of the Dougla I see in Trini are dark anyway, with dark straight hair, including myself so I never noticed much of a difference, especially within my family, we all look just about the same.

I know in the US and India though, the lighter the skin, the prettier you are. I've had Indian men in the US make comments about how "tan" my skin is compared to the lighter Indians.

The lighter you are the better, you will be treated better and its quite obvious. With-in my family which is a mix of  ( white)French, Native Indians  Black Folks, and Dominicas we come all in different shades, eye colors etc. ( I am Haitian) Now because of this mix some will not appreciate being called just black especially when culture is also involved

I was treated better than my sister b/c I have more European features and long hair, she didnt. They say I got more of the white side and she got more of the "negro" side.

Now my cousins with green and hazel eyes with the natural blonde hair forget about it, they were treated like princesses

My Grandma, and I always say this is a firm believer of lighter is better, stay ur behind out the sun. Thats how she was brought up to believe
JasonWllms55 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:36am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i noticed this when i was doing census interviews, alot of them did not want me to check off black/african american box...there has been a long standing beef btw west indians and african americans

no insight really, only in my personal life.
idk...its funny my mom always stresses to me how i better not bring home an african american girl...she doesnt really think fondly of them..idk if she has a valid reason though...oddly enough ive never dated a west indian woman...not by choice, it just worked out that way.
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:36am
Lucy and Dakota, I'm SO dark over there. I consider myself Black because I am. I won't deny my grandparents, ever but looking at me, I'm a Black woman. I didnt tell people I was mixed till i graduated HS and that's because they asked. They said I looked "odd". In Trinidad, etc, I'm a darkie.

You're right about the hair, mine isn't stick straight.. I have 3 textures, at least.
rr11l07 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:38am

There is a box for West Indian for most forms I have seen for a long time now. It usually says Black/West Indian and than there ia a Black/African-American box

TC... I find it mostly to do with culture and they way they view AA's. Very similar to the way many Africans view AA's 

They say AA's arent brought up incorrectly, lack of discipline, and are less educated ( our school systems are more rigorous)
rr11l07 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:39am

no insight really, only in my personal life.
idk...its funny my mom always stresses to me how i better not bring home an african american girl...she doesnt really think fondly of them..idk if she has a valid reason though...oddly enough ive never dated a west indian woman...not by choice, it just worked out that way.

Bring home anything but an African-American...they would take a white girl before that LOL sad but very true for some
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:40am

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

All of this not black, black, WI, AA sh*t is bullsh*t anyway.

It's just a few steps away from the ridiculous, white men fed ideas that diseased the Hutus and the Tutsis.

Lamp

brown people unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CryHeart

i wish it were this simple.......

but im happy to uniteWink if errrm yeah! LOL
lucy1987 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Dakotablu Dakotablu wrote:

They do use the caste system. Here in W.I they will come out and ask me if me mudda or fadda dougla. I give them the Confused face. in the states they ask where I am from or if I am ethipoian ALOT. not if I am mixed. People that focus time on that I give them the Confused cause my family "looks" mixed or whatever they call it.  My hair another story..people look at it like wait is she mixed then again naw..my stylist even say she has never saw hair like mine. The whole front is a different texture to the back. the middle of my nape is actually 2 type literally STRAIGHT so is some parts of my crown. I use to cry because I thought my perm wasn't growing out but its growing straight. I HATE IT!!!!

Lol, Dakota, they are very bold. They definitely will just approach you and ask. Can't tell you how many times the same happened when I visit.

I can relate to that, except my whole head is type 2, which in turn makes it hard to create any decent hairstyles. I do sometimes get jealous of the dougla women with the cute curly hair.

Oh Lord, and don't get me started on the Trini vs Guyana thing. I still don't know how that started. I remember visiting NY to see a cousin, and literally seeing a fight outside on someone's lawn and was told they happened because a Guyanese was runnin' through an area of mostly Trini's. I don't see that in Boston, but I'm still wondering about that.

Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 54>
  Share Topic