Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Twists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Topic ClosedDo Twist help grow out your hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>

Bootiful Cream

Author
kasey1love View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2008 at 4:22pm
my hair has grown the most with twist than with any other style ie braids or natural twist outs. I love to wear twist.Clap
Sponsored Links

Dehinds View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2008 at 11:12pm
In my case twisting locks in more moisture and prevents knots. When I'm in twists I don't have to moisturize everyday maybe every other day or every two days. When my hair is out in a puff or a fro I have to up my moisture. I believe twisting helps protect the hair from drying out, less knots, less manipulation and retaining growth. 

Edited by Dehinds - Mar 30 2008 at 11:40pm
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 7:17am
Originally posted by MsB616 MsB616 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie, but have been following all the threads for a week now and have been really inspired by everyone's story. My hair has been natural for 5 years, but i have been in braids and weaves on and off..so much so that I'm pretty sure i've damaged my hair 4eva! It's a 4a/b type, fine, thin, with tight curls that get really spongy after i wash and condition. The middle of my head has the most damage and is my reason for wanting to stop braiding. My length in the back used to be just below my ear lobes...but read on and you'll see what happend. My length in the front used to cover my eyes and i had the best bangs ever! lol..now? well read on lol

I've gathered a lot of info from the posts and decided to see if i can take this hair care journy a bit more seriously. I just took my braids out and i went to the salon and got a wash, emergency treatment, trim, and single twists...after i spent $95 i realized i can do this myself!! lol

SO this is what i have done in the last week: I retwisted my hair earlier in the week first with Infusium 23 maxium body formula..then since my ends were highly damaged, i coated it with Organic Root Stimulator's Carrot Oil..then i retwisted. In the morning i spraid this anti breakage spray..that was bad because my ends got all spongy again! And just an idea for those of you with thin hair..i added curly extensions to give some fullness and you couldn't even tell! I got great compliments too! Smile

THEN...yesturday i washed my hair with Pro.ProV relaxed & Natural..i think it's alittle early for me to tell if this shampoo helps anything..then i Aphogee for 10 minutes, deep conditioned with LeKair Cholesterol for about 45 minutes with a cap (the next thing on my list to be is a hood dyer!).

Some problems I ran into were:
1. After conditioning, my hair sponged up badly
Solution:I str8t'd my hair w/ flat iron w/o putting anything in it
Results: BAD IDEA! My hope is that once i find a good regiment i won't have this sponge issue anymore!

2. My hair from the root to about 3/4 of the way str8t'd fine..the ends however were tangled, brittle, and had those little knots on the end.
SOLUTION: I proceeded to cut w/ a regular pair of scissors..i know i know...i can hear ya'll screaming at me now. I wish i had read the section on trimming BEFORE i decided to trim my own hair!
RESULT: I now have uneven length! lol But I figured.."ok, it's all trial and error and its just hair..it'll grow sometime!"lol

So I'm back at square 1. This morning I unwrapped my hair and started over..In used infusium to soften my hair and carrot oil to treat my ends..im still having the knotting issue though and i'm thinking about trying this "baggying stuff"...I just have 1 question about baggying: Do you baggy while your hair is 2-strand twisted?

I'll probably post pics later this week. I just wanted to let you all know that this forum has really changed my way of thinking about my hair...my mother believes our hair is doomed and there's nothing i can do to help it..but im determined to at least give this all a try and perhaps prove her wrong. Please let me know if you have any advice to share about my regiment. thanks! you all are inspiring ppl!
Your hair gets spongy because of too much moisture.  Use some type of protein treatment to balance all the moisture you're getting.Smile
ohioshorty06 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 11:02am
For the next 5 weeks I'll be wearing my hair twisted but then it's back to the trusty rusty bun.  I'm trying to wear my hair differently before I go to basic training cuz all I wear now is buns but soon I won't get to experiment much with my hair.
tokyo_nights View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 6:08pm
I believe Twist have made my hair grow. I'm worn twists and braids and my hair has grown over 5 inches in 10 months. 
ctownqueen View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 10:31pm
bump
MrsLisa12 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2008 at 9:06am
I am considering twist. I would like to see some picture of people with twist esp short hair,. my hair is about 6 inches long and i am trying to see whether i would like my short hair in the double 2 strand twist. please post of send my links to picture of short twists. thanks
short*n*sassie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2008 at 3:15pm
i'm thinking about getting kinky twists with extentions. are they better to do than braids or is there no real big difference
staytrue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2008 at 5:26pm
I personally love twists! I feel that is a natural girl's staple! IA that twists make it easier to moisturize your hair and that less manipulation is better. So with all that, I think it does help retain growth. I must say though I think my hair actually GREW more when I had braids--i think because the weight of the extensions was pulling on my scalp and "activating it" in some way. BUT--if you are not careful with how you take out the braids you can lose a lot of hair
ahotmess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2008 at 7:46pm

I've just had kinky twist extentions in my hair. I kept them in for three months. My hair was shoulder length, and one side was growing faster than the other because I was putting in my own perms. (now that's a whole nother subject) Anyway, these twist really made my hair grow. Now mind you, my hair grows fairly fast. I took the twist out and it had grow like WOW!!! But I didn't comb it out before I washed it and all H*LL broke out. My hair matted like a rug. I thought I was going to have to cut out the large Knots I had on either side of my head. I paid someone 100 dollars to literally yank these knots out. When it was all over I had a decent bob. I had lost so much hair I couldn't even cry.  I do recommend twist but make sure when you take them down to comb each one out. Good Luck!! I love them in fact I got some more right now!!!!!

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic