Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - do any of you get stares wearing kinky straight?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

do any of you get stares wearing kinky straight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:44am
Ahh who are you?

I wasn't even talking to you so yes, hee hee .. you can stop talking to me anytime you like. I don't have a problem with it. hee hee! Honestly, you can shut up now. Hee hee!

I was talking to the OP about why she is getting grief about her hair. Duh!

Geesh,must have hit a nerve.

(shrugs) But hey, the truth hurts and causes people to come out of the woodwork upset and ready to fight over something .. everyone else can clearly see.
Sponsored Links

Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:55am
ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

Lawd.....

Not all black people have kinky hair.
Not all black people are bald headed.
Not all black people who relax their hair do so until it is so damaged and on life support.

Not all white people who wear clip ins match their own hair color/texture.
Is it self white hate when they tan until  they look like turkey bacon?
Is it white hate when they get lip injections?

Anywhoo back to the topic, maybe all these people aren't staring like the OP said.
Maybe its all in her mind.
Maybe her install doesn't look as "natural" as she thinks
Maybe she had on a weird outfit, or lipstick on her teeth, pants unzipped, eyebrows arched to the high heavens, blood on the back of her pants. Who knows.

This thread ain't Censored without pics. 

Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 11:44am
OP, block your face, tag your pics, and post them here.
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 1:40pm
dont go bald or you'll get more stares I shaved my head and I got stared at for days.......weeks months.................they'd go straight to my eyebrows.................and I'd think NO I'm not a cancer patient.  I shaved my head bc I wanted to!  

people stare for differnt reasons.............swang ya hurr and keep it pushin
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 2:26pm
The most realistic install doesn't always look like the wearer's hair.

I've seen plenty of perfectly blended, realistic textured no lumps, no bumps, weaves that still looked like weaves.

I know that when I 1st started wearing weaves, I was self conscious the 1st day, so I felt people were staring and they weren't.

People see obvious weaves and not obvious weaves, everyday. It doesn't usually make them stare, it's so common, either way.

Unless it's a style/color featured regularly on hotghettomess dot com.
Sushi_Addicted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sushi_Addicted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 3:38pm
I think I know what OP is talking about. I usually wear 18"-20" of kinky straight hair and get so many stares and compliments from both black and white people. However, black people are usually more inquisitive about it.

I got the weird white guy trying to touch it or ask, "How did you get your hair in that texture?" It grows this way and don't touch my hair, bro. I only had one white chick automatically assume that it was a weave, but that's because she's literally ignorant (about everything, really) and think black women can't grow long hair. My natural hair (before I had a set back) was longer than hers, but it's still healthier. She bleaches her hair to hell. For the most part they just stare.

Encounters with black people are a different story. Some harmlessly ask how long I've been growing my hair. I usually just tell them it's a weave and tell them that I grew my natural hair pretty long with sew-ins. Other people just flat out ask me out loud or insert a "is it all yours?" I had one chick tell me "I've never seen a black woman with long hair." I shook my head at her. I walked by a group of black woman and one black woman in the group simply said, "I love her hair", and another literally snarled, "It's not all her hair." Another black woman asked me if it was my hair and told her that it was a weave. She said "Oh! I was about to say..." Black men praise for me being natural all loud and in public. I was once asked if I was mixed.

I just think OP is fed up with how a people, of any race, can see a dozen non-black women walk by with SL, BSL or beyond and not bat an eye, but let a black woman walk up with any of the said lengths and people start to act up. It's worse when it's other black people.

Before I had hit a bump in my hair journey, my hair was a little past APL, mid way to BSL, and i still had people acting up about my hair when it was straight or natural. 

joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 3:53pm
People tend to stare at things that are unusual be that in a negative or a positive way. The negatives could be color, blending, length (as far as blending your leave out with it), and/or the actual install. The positives could be that the hair looks great but they are not used to or ready to accept a Black woman with long, kinky hair. I get more curious looks than anything. Then some like to follow to get better looks. The especially bold with just get blunt and ask if its my hair.

Just be sure that its not an issue with the hair and install itself. After that, just go about your day not giving a damn.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 3:03am
Geesh, again ladies Black people CAN grow their hair long IF they stay away from the chemicals and the heat and whatnot - because that is what causes damage and causes it to break off.

But it DOES NOT lie down flat when it grows out .. it goes into an afro. Duh!

So yes, when black or white people see a black woman with long hair that is laying down flat (kinky straight, yaki .. whatever) they will wonder if it's real. This is obvious but black people still get offended as if the whole rest of the world does not know this. Duh! Well, they do. The other races know that mostly we have 4b/c hair.

This is because no matter what the texture (kinky straight or yaki) for it to lie down like the other races... the person has to have applied chemicals or heat to get that texture. This damages it ... so for the hair to withstand this damage so long that it can grow to 18 - 20 inches length is POSSIBLE (some heads can take it) but it is not COMMON.

Of course, some black people have naturally straight/wavy etc hair .. but that's not so common either .. so people will get a good look at that person's head too.

I have friends with this kind of hair .. people check them out because they wear their hair off their faces ... it is very clear that is their hair. They are just used to it so …

Now this is the truth as to why people … ‘act like black people can't grow long hair'. It is because 'black people TYPICALLY CANNOT grow long hair (that hangs down) unless it is treated.

Back in the 80's and 90's White people had their hair permed too into the 'poodle' curl thing ... with all these curls all over their head. Well guess what .. the curl perms broke off THEIR hair. Even if they dye their hair ice blonde .. after a few years .. guess what ... STARTS to break off. So yes, they have to go back to their natural color and grow out or cut off the perms .. or they have problems too.

The moral to the story for all people .. is to go natural .. or you will have problems with your hair .. eventually though some folks can stand it. :(

Rules:

- If you want to grow your hair long .. it must be natural (in twists, or locks, or an afro etc).

- If you want your hair to hang down like the other races you have to treat it .... which most likely with cause damage and causes it breaks .. so then it does not grow long.

You can't have it BOTH ways (typically). Typically meaning this is what happens with most 4b/c heads of hair .. but some heads can take it.

They are the exception.

How can these self-same black people not accept a construct ... that everyone else IS AWARE OF?

Now with the weaves .. every black girl with long hanging hair ... is suspect. Maybe it's rude to stare but no one has control over how the whole rest of the world reacts to our heads. If the weave looks believable they may or may not comment .. but if it looks false .. they are gonna stare faaaaaar longer than would be expected.

This is the problem with the OP. :(

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jan 09 2014 at 3:29am
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 6:09am
Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

I'm frustrated. I'm so tired of hearing ppl complain about black women's hair looking fake so I spend hundreds of dollars on kinkystraigt which looks natural and people will not stop inspecting my scalp. its not like I'm wearing doll hair. what do they want me to do? have short hair so I wont have a bunch of inspector gadgets in my head all the time. Im tired of this. every other race can have long hair and its normal but on me I'm looked at like a science project.
why do you care about what others think? if you like it roll with it...why would you spend money just to impress others? or..whatever it is youre trying to do.Confused
Lacy Gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lacy Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 8:07am
OP, I pay attention to the stares of Black people not White people. Black people are more likely to notice if something is not right. But it does not always mean that something is wrong. Homegirl may just be checking your head out.

Printer Ink you really ought to let up. Yeah now you are wearing kinky curl hair. But if I remember correctly you used to be a great fan of brazilian straight hair and virgin indian hair.  But then you decided to switch up. To each his own.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>