Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - do any of you get stares wearing kinky straight?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

do any of you get stares wearing kinky straight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

When I wore my kinky straight everyone thought it was mine and told how pretty and long it was. I just said thank and kept it moving lol, I've never received negative attention over my weaves tho. Most assume it's my real hair lol.
do you have a light complexion?

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
Sponsored Links

ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:40pm
I looovvveee KS.
Heaven help the Chinese invent more new and inventive ways to take my money.

"We have best hair. Cheap price. It looka lika you. You buy. You buy!!"

LOL!!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:41pm
Maybe its your install Shocked, and this is not said to try and throw shade but I see it all the time. You should get a second opinion from a unbiased party,,,
imfunsized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imfunsized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

When I wore my kinky straight everyone thought it was mine and told how pretty and long it was. I just said thank and kept it moving lol, I've never received negative attention over my weaves tho. Most assume it's my real hair lol.

Lmaooo! I was thrown by that as well.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 9:54pm

Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Lmaooo! I was thrown by that as well.

After that I could not take anything said serious......CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Sorry I just don't believe that just because you have kinky straight hair people are staring. It is more to the story that just your hair texture. If it looks that realistic people would just think or say your have some pretty hair or look and keep going.

Staring is something different and its usually not good. Pics or it didnt happen.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 3:26am

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Like I said though .. it may not be the TEXTURE itself. You shouldn't fixate on the texture because that may not be it - there may be something else or a combination of factors.

Btw - the most natural texture IS the afro/kinky texture .. which will look 100% more like your real hair. I don't understand why you did not mention this.

This is really the most natural you can go .. but .. again A LOT of Black women want to straighten their hair ... which is the kinky straight look basically. :(

(btw - I wear the afro/curly look .. and noooooobody is trying to figure out my head. Even if people think it's fake... they will think I am wearing fake hair that pretty much looks just like my real hair ... which really takes the edge off. :)

See these modern Afros! :) Parlez vou Francais?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZs2FH6PQE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxmpjmj9R8

Not saying you have to wear an afro .. but THAT is the most natural hair texture you can wear and it is an option. :)

so a black woman with hair that mimcs her own hair that is relaxed warrants stares? not everybody wants the afro look. I don't really like it.

Okay, you need to be honest with yourself.

Geesh lady 'relaxed' hair is not 'natural' hair. I think you are playing word games so that you can pretend that your kinky straight hair is natural hair. :(

(I'm about to get up on my soapbox now girl! Hee hee!)

You JUST said you are mad because all the other races can have long hair except for the black race where I explained to you that black people can grow hair just as long as all the other races .. it's just that our hair goes into an afro ... and doesn't lay down flat like the other races.

IMO there is nothing wrong with kinky hair that is well growned - people just get lazy and let it go to h*** is all.

People at work or here and there (white people) often comment to me something on the lines of .. 'you are wearing your hair natural ... it looks good!'. If we start talking etc - they will say something along the lines of 'I don't understand why black people straighten their hair'. Then I've got explain that either it's easier to manage .. or they just want to enmulate the looks of white people's hair'.

If I tell them that a lot of black people just do not like their own natural hair .. I get that pitying thing like 'I feel sorry for them'. Yes, they know the influence of the 'the media' but heck ...it's your family's job to instill some pride in you about your hair.

Age? I wore an afro when they first came out in 1969 and today I am in a modern afro lace front wig. It's BIG and looks soooo cool when I am bouncing down the street girl! So it's not about age. It's about how you feel about yourself.

btw my afro/curl lace wig has to be combed, moisterized and braided up at night just like my real hair was managed back in the day. So it does take work though the curl defining new products these days make it a lot easier. :)

Now, I am not trying to say you HAVE to wear an afro - you can wear your hair any way you want. If you want to go with the Indian wavy, or blonde of Red or 28 inches .. IT IS ALLOWED. No one will stop you .. but then you have to take responibility for the look you project and not try to pretend that it's something that it's not.

My point is that when you say you are going as natural as you can with your hair texture .. well that would be untrue. You can't pretend that kinky straight is the most natural you can go ... when you know you could go kinky curly.

Again, I am always amazed at how many black folks cannot stomach their natural hair texture. :(

Okay, officially climbing off my soapbox now! Hee hee! You are off the hook. :)

For the last time though .. if your kinky straight gets too many stares ... it does not look ´natural´ and that´s all there is to it.

Getting frustrated at people staring at you or even getting mad at me for giving you my opinion (you asked for opinions afterall) ... will not change this impression. It's on you.

The best you can do is to change it, get used to the stares, or hang a sign around your neck that says - 'Please do not stare at my hair'. :) Those are your options.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jan 08 2014 at 4:12am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imfunsized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 6:02am
I think you should wear your hair however you want, I mean who cares let people stare. As long as you are honestly comfortable with the style and you like you like it, wear it.

As far as this whole afro talk, you do not have I wear an afro if you don't want to kinky straight is an imitation of our hair blown out so I don't see the big deal being made over that. Not every black woman wants a fro geez, and you do not have to explain yourself to white folk....who the hell are they? They lay in tanning beds to be darker no one says anything, black woman wears a long straight weave, now she needs to explain herself and has self hate issues. I mean it's stupid honestly. You owe no one explanation, if your install jacked up looking then yes people will stare, if it is not then just flip your hair and keep it moving.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:10am
First off ... the OP is NOT comfortable with her hair. She has said this again and again.:( She is not comfortable with her hair because people keep staring at it.

I really don't see why this has to turn into another 'I hate what white people think (though I can't wait to look just like them)' thread. And getting a tan is nothing like trying to be Black DUH! This is something that black folks like to use though ... that would be a joke. :)

White people want to get a tan so their skin looks healthly, sunkissed and glowing .. but I have never heard a White person indicate that they want to look like a Black person.

The OP mentioned the ONE white lady staring. The ONE white lady... but I'll bet it's not all White people that are staring at her head if she is being this upset. I'll bet a lottttttt of people are staring ... so why is the ONE White person the focus?

The OP needs to get real about her appearance.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jan 08 2014 at 7:29am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imfunsized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:55am
How the hell is wearing straight hair trying to look like white people?? Maybe the black women that wear straight weave simply love the look of the straight, just like you came in here to cape for white people and explain their tanning, but say black women want to be white for wearing straight hair. I honestly believe you are white since you take all the critiques made at them so personal. Smh you are a freakin joke, tanning to be a skintone that is not naturally yours and wearing hair weave that does not naturally look like your own is the exact same thing. Yet you come in here with some excuse for whites.

I'm honestly not going to waste time even going back and forth with you. OP wear your hair how you want, let the folks stare all they.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imfunsized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:57am
Also straight is not exclusive to whites, maybe she's trying to look Asian, Indian or Native American right??
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic