Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedDo any NATURALS texturize their leave out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Daymarme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do any NATURALS texturize their leave out?
    Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 9:28am
I'm a 4B natural with a TWA...I happily did my big chop in October 2012, so i only have a few inches of hair now. I do however also love weaves and would like to continue do them as a protective styling (especially to get my hair over that TWA hump that I'm stuck at for now). Question is I did a couple of weaves over the last few months (like Kim k styles) and I did not care for the amount of heat and spritz and stuff that had to be applied to my leave-out in order to achieve a realistic blend. It was so much heat because my hair is a coarse texture.  So I'm thinking in my head, my goodness,  I'd hate to have to do that everytime I decide to get a weave. Cry

So my question is, what are your thoughts on me possibly texturizing my leave out?  Just a few minutes, not for a bone staight texture, but one that is a bit more manageable then what I am working with now. Has anyone or does anyone do that? Any naturals who do a lot of protective styling? Please share your thoughts because I am getting frustrated latelyand I'd hate to throw in the towel being natural.  Plus, I am so excited to give U-parts a try so I can take full control of my weaving and not have to go to these salons who don't take care of natural hair as well as i would. (that's a whole other conversation) But to achieve a U-part I gotta have some hair out!

Btw, I researched the board and did find great suggestions such as:
  • getting a weave with bangs (not my best look but willing to try it again)
  • getting a full weave (they tend to look wiggy to me)
  • getting an invisble part (I have yet to find one that I like, lol)
  • getting a closure (I ordered one from Ali Express and am watching YT videos to learn how in the world to install it; I hate a fake looking closure)
  • wear wigs instead of weaves while I grow out my hair to a longer more manageable legnth  (probably my best option; I did go wig shopping and lately I'm just having a hard time finding some nice wigs. Preferably one that wont require me to leave out any hair)
When it comes to weaves, wigs, protective styling in general, I am very picky, lol. To me you have to leave out something in order for it to look more realistic and that is where my frustration is.  I am a 4B natural with major shrinkage and it just seems impossible to weave it up without blasting my head with heat.  It seems like I might be the first guinea pig to try this and let you all know in 6 months how it goes. But I just wanted to take a chance and ask the BHM family about this thought and get some feedback.  Thanks in advance Divas! :)

Sponsored Links

SimplyPut View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 12:17pm
I've never known someone personally who has done it, but I did texlax me edges for over a year when I was transitioning. The worst part is when you're ready to wear your natural hair the texlaxed portions will look out of place.
Daymarme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 12:23pm
i was thinking that exact point...lol, which is why I was thinking to leave it for just a few minutes. I dunno, it seems I may have to just flat iron it out and deal with it. :(
imfunsized View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 12:35pm
I wouldn't recommend it, it could lead to more damage ie breakage. Plus when you are ready to wear your natural hair you're going to have two textures, have you considered getting a weave closer to your own texture?
jazzired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 12:45pm
If you are at the point where you are thinking of putting chemicals on your hair my suggestion would be something that is not so permanent.   I put a Prevana Perfection treatment on my leave out and I love it.  It lasts for 12 weeks and it goes back to the natural curl.  And it also allows me to go between the curly and straight.  Prevana Perfection is kind of like a Keratin but its less restrictive.  

Daymarme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

I wouldn't recommend it, it could lead to more damage ie breakage. Plus when you are ready to wear your natural hair you're going to have two textures, have you considered getting a weave closer to your own texture?

My texture is very coarse and with my extreme shrinkage, it just looks like nothing that can blend. I looked all over YT for someone with my texture who also weave but the girls I found are naturals who do not tamper with weaves. The naturals who do sew ins and u-parts have a good 5+ inches of hair and can flatten it out to a decent length, or they have a softer texture that can blend with some curly hair. Thx for the feedback though.
Daymarme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by jazzired jazzired wrote:

If you are at the point where you are thinking of putting chemicals on your hair my suggestion would be something that is not so permanent.   I put a Prevana Perfection treatment on my leave out and I love it.  It lasts for 12 weeks and it goes back to the natural curl.  And it also allows me to go between the curly and straight.  Prevana Perfection is kind of like a Keratin but its less restrictive.  

Oh wow, I never heard of it, I will look into that. Thank you for the recommendation.

Edited by Daymarme - Apr 15 2013 at 1:07pm
SN2BPHD View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 1:21pm
I don't leave any of mine out. I would not suggest it unless you are looking for a short kinky curly look.
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 2:17pm
It makes no sense to me to do so. You either texturizer your whole hair or not at all. You'll have a patch of hair that's loosely textured/ almost straight. and then very very kinky 4b hair. 

You could try what that other girl said that's supposed to keep your hair straighter for longer, but even so, straightening your leave out all the time will damage it and your hair will have different textures and that part will probably be shorter and incur more breakage. 

I'd get hair that you wouldn't need to use much heat for. Or you can get a full sew in. Which does usually mean you'll have bangs, but you can maybe find a salon that can do that method, not the invisible part, but this other method seen on this site that you have no leave out but it looks like a natural part.
Daymarme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 3:05pm
Thank you all for the feedback. great points, im gonna just try and see how a full head sew in will come out...I hope to God it turns out nice. I cant find any good weavers in South Florida. The girl I got to for my caps charges an arm and a leg for her sew ins and I just cant afford it. In the meantime, i guess I'll just stick to wigs until I find someone and I will not texturize the leave out. Thank you all again.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic