Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Do Africans Learn About American Slavery?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 7:32am
Hehhehehe Probably afro
Sponsored Links

iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 7:40am
Diane, I asked my father almost 60 years of age did he know who Marcus Garvey was and he didn't know who he was. He was born 30 years after his movement had ended, that's enough time to put distance on anything for anyone who does't pay attention to their history. My kids are gonna be some learned negros.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

I can never get over the American attitude of if you don't like us or make a negative comment about us don't come here to work or visit. Star's post with the comment was just so ridiculous to me.

And here's where the rubber should meet the road.  We AAs need to stop defending a country that gives no fcks about us, kills our children, disproportionately takes our men away from their families and calls us the animals that they in fact are. 

I wish I would spend one half breath defending America against and African woman or worse, defending that racist ass non-funny TMZ "skit" over a black woman.  I understand that some non-AAs don't get us.  Its okay.  They aren't over here threatening the life and well-being of people I love so their confusion is of no consequence in the end. 

Thank you sister D!
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 8:21am
Aww we learned about Marcus Garvey at home.

My mom used to wake us up every morning with his quote "up you mighty race, accomplish what you will!"

Eta: my mom is super pro black though, self taught herself our history and passed it on to us as children as a part of every day life.

Edited by melikey - Feb 18 2014 at 8:26am
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 8:26am
ummmm what's the problem?  she said somewhat.  wtf else should she had said to dem cracka azz crackas? 

ps...oh yeah she said that.  the world doesn't revolve around america.

pss...and she looked absolutely fabulous whilst saying it!
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 8:32am
no its not about defending a country that gives no fcks.
this is where I live, where my parents live, where their parents live.
I'm defending them.

and I won't stop that

Edited by jonesable - Feb 18 2014 at 8:52am
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

I don't see one thing wrong with her answer and eff those who are claiming oh she works in America she shouldn't say one thing negative about it that's grasping at straws. The real problem here is TMZ asking the question in the first place, which was clearly a bait question, the real problem is the YTs and the institution of slavery in the first place. Why oh why do we always forget?

Americans often forget that the US engineers conditions that cause other countries to suffer and be dependent on them, undermining progression, growth and development, whether or not the population has the opportunity to emigrate or not. Also how y'all know the producers of whatever show didn't beg her to come shoot in the US? I;m joking

Most AAs don't know their own history, in this here thread (and others) Y'all have admitted to a being taught YTwashed version. And why oh why should the curriculum of any far of land include AA history? To teach that in a the 35 hour school week would definitely mean that the history of that country or region would be significantly reduced. PLUS what would be taught the version of history that paints YTs i a favourable light or should the teachers in far off place dig deep and do the research that is't done in America?

It's three-parts to the TransAtlantic Slave trade. AAs never recall much about the Caribbean except probably the Haitian Revolution. We are taught about Africa but focus on our situation in Jamaica/Caribbean (and rightly so) and American figures are mentioned. Can we recall for one moment that the experience was NOT the same across the board. 
Zaymacana why would you say it was glossed over? Colonialism impacted the Africans wicked wicked. People often forget that lands were taken and the Africans pushed aside roads built missionaries and all that jazz. Come nuh man? How is it that all the resources Africa has is in the hands of YT corps and/or countries?

However and its a big however (for Americans can not appreciate how much culture their culture erases elsewhere, how dominant it is, how it is forced) we learn AA history through AA media and television. Roots (often a must watch in some high schools), Malcolm X, Black Panthers,Civil Rights and we consider it a shared history especially in the aftermath of slavery cause IMO the writers (in standard high school texts) do not properly deal with what happened to former slaves after Emancipation. Here is where I'm grateful cause Jamaican don't have the time nor funding to produce movies and documentaries on slavery or even to get the material out of the museums or universities online

I can never get over the American attitude of if you don't like us or make a negative comment about us don't come here to work or visit. Star's post with the comment was just so ridiculous to me.

If i stopped and asked an AA who was Marcus Garvey did he factor into AA history if so to what extent? They probably couldn't tell me.

There are certain truth in the black community and on BHM here: the phenomena of negro elitism, where it stem from and why it shouldn't be used . That said, Yardies do it betterCool

ETA Just saw afro's post. The English were excellent record keepers, but when you look at the numbers of what was left behind you side-eye them fools. They burned them tore out pages all sort of shady behaviour. I imagine when they fled they threw they overboard AND they kept a few in dusty attics in England to cry over the "good times:a nd all the money they lostDead

This thread reminds me of when the yardies came out in full force in a thread and sandy said the yardie bat signal was a gyal dutty wining. LOL what's the African one?

Oh yea I'm side-eyeing all of you negroes for not providing me with fresh Black History Month information in 2014!! Y'all ain't doo-doo.

Diane! All of this!
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 8:41am
And honestly, I don't understand how some of you expected her to respond to that. It's clear as day to anyone with any sense at all that the intentions behind the question were ugly. The question wasn't posed in earnest. And that black dude with the dreads have been bought and paid for. He didn't even try to pretend to be offended, like he usually does, he was cheesing like an idiot.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 8:45am
I have so much ish to say.
Y'all try to make AA feel ashamed about where they were dragged to. That onus is not on us.

far as I'm concerned all this sh*t is,mine anyway.

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 8:53am
speak on it jones.

personally, i don't feel ashamed one bit.  and even if i did think some africans were trying to make us feel ashamed (i'm assuming that is the "ya'll" who you are referring to)...the root cause for all of dat still lies at the door step of the pale faced, pale eyed, paled haired, pale souled, pale everything usurper anyway so meh...

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Feb 18 2014 at 8:54am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System