Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Do Africans Learn About American Slavery?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 7:09pm
It's funny Im writing a paper about this now.

The history of oppressed people aren't told because the oppressors don't want it to be told. This goes for slavery in the America's an Colonialism in Africa. The only history we, know is the history taught from the white people's eyes (even if subtly), which inherently isn't really the truth. Blacks were denied humanity and written about as if they were objects, if we were written about at all. So long story short instead of fighting between AA's and Africans, we need to be mad at white people because both of our history has been suppressed from the jump.

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Feb 17 2014 at 7:15pm
Sponsored Links

Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 9:06pm
So, I understand both sides of the argument, and of course we can't expect that it would be such a big deal in other areas of the world. As Americans we do have a very self-centered way of thinking. However, I would hope no one honestly thinks someone is being sensitive or fake-mad if they get offended by her comment. I would think the negative feelings about her comment are not about the fact that her country didn't dwell on our history, but the fact that she is working here, probably knows more now what a big mess slavery caused, and still made a comment that implies she doesnt give a fck and it's not important.

I would expect yall to roll your eyes at an American saying something similar in your country.

And maybe she doesnt give a fck, and I understand why.. but you have to admit that her comment can still be seen as offensive.. right?? No? Ok.

Maybe they just caught her off guard and she didn't mean it to come across that way.. but it did for some. .and they can be mad. .. Ps. F*ck TMZ
Xamaycana View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Xamaycana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 1:40am
I live in a country where most of the blacks are Africans.  Africans in general are dismissive of the plight of formerly enslaved blacks.   I have encountered the thing where they feel those of us descended from enslaved blacks are inferior.  The North Africans feel they are better than the Southern Africans.  The East Africans feel they are better than the West Africans.  The West Africans feel they are superior to diaspora blacks.

It's a bit odd to say the world does not rely on America when you are living  and pursuing opportunities in America by choice.   

The trans-Atlantic Slave trade was one the biggest atrocities in history.  It's shameful if it is indeed glossed over in African schools.

ETA-  Just watched the clip which was pretty obnoxious.  I can understand her not wanting to engage them.  I stand by my comment though based on some of the comments in the thread.

Edited by Xamaycana - Feb 18 2014 at 1:44am
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 1:52am
Most AA's (IMO) don't know in depth history about people's of colour from other places so....

she shoulda hit him with that.  If u gone expect her to know so much then i'm gone need them to have just as much knowledge on the country from which she hails.  From what I can see of the thumbnail...no shade but that don't look like the time for that question.  Is she on her way into a venue or summin'?   smh.   tryna cause prollems during black history month.

*a didn't watch vid post*
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 6:23am
Her answer was great.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 6:29am
Africans are well versed in their respective colonial history's
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Xamaycana Xamaycana wrote:

The North Africans feel they are better than the Southern Africans.  The East Africans feel they are better than the West Africans.  The West Africans feel they are superior to diaspora blacks.

reminds me of the progressive north vs backward south debates on bhm

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 6:58am
And it's not glossed over .. It's discussed and it's impact recognised however those are llarge parts taken from the colonisers themselves since the Europeans m.o when taking over colonies since time immemorial was the obliteration of that land's history. Oral historians included. Let's not forget that entire settlements were wiped out. So for example where would one get that history now?

sh*t.. Even white people destroyed their slave ledgers which make it difficult for descendants of the slave trade to trace their lineage. They weren't stupid. They knew what they were doing. So to find any accessible history that details the intricacies of the slave trade is likely to be documented by white people and we know that's grossly inaccurate.

Interesting discussion though
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 7:19am
I don't see one thing wrong with her answer and eff those who are claiming oh she works in America she shouldn't say one thing negative about it that's grasping at straws. The real problem here is TMZ asking the question in the first place, which was clearly a bait question, the real problem is the YTs and the institution of slavery in the first place. Why oh why do we always forget?

Americans often forget that the US engineers conditions that cause other countries to suffer and be dependent on them, undermining progression, growth and development, whether or not the population has the opportunity to emigrate or not. Also how y'all know the producers of whatever show didn't beg her to come shoot in the US? I;m joking

Most AAs don't know their own history, in this here thread (and others) Y'all have admitted to a being taught YTwashed version. And why oh why should the curriculum of any far of land include AA history? To teach that in a the 35 hour school week would definitely mean that the history of that country or region would be significantly reduced. PLUS what would be taught the version of history that paints YTs i a favourable light or should the teachers in far off place dig deep and do the research that is't done in America?

It's three-parts to the TransAtlantic Slave trade. AAs never recall much about the Caribbean except probably the Haitian Revolution. We are taught about Africa but focus on our situation in Jamaica/Caribbean (and rightly so) and American figures are mentioned. Can we recall for one moment that the experience was NOT the same across the board. 
Zaymacana why would you say it was glossed over? Colonialism impacted the Africans wicked wicked. People often forget that lands were taken and the Africans pushed aside roads built missionaries and all that jazz. Come nuh man? How is it that all the resources Africa has is in the hands of YT corps and/or countries?

However and its a big however (for Americans can not appreciate how much culture their culture erases elsewhere, how dominant it is, how it is forced) we learn AA history through AA media and television. Roots (often a must watch in some high schools), Malcolm X, Black Panthers,Civil Rights and we consider it a shared history especially in the aftermath of slavery cause IMO the writers (in standard high school texts) do not properly deal with what happened to former slaves after Emancipation. Here is where I'm grateful cause Jamaican don't have the time nor funding to produce movies and documentaries on slavery or even to get the material out of the museums or universities online

I can never get over the American attitude of if you don't like us or make a negative comment about us don't come here to work or visit. Star's post with the comment was just so ridiculous to me.

If i stopped and asked an AA who was Marcus Garvey did he factor into AA history if so to what extent? They probably couldn't tell me.

There are certain truth in the black community and on BHM here: the phenomena of negro elitism, where it stem from and why it shouldn't be used . That said, Yardies do it betterCool

ETA Just saw afro's post. The English were excellent record keepers, but when you look at the numbers of what was left behind you side-eye them fools. They burned them tore out pages all sort of shady behaviour. I imagine when they fled they threw they overboard AND they kept a few in dusty attics in England to cry over the "good times:a nd all the money they lostDead

This thread reminds me of when the yardies came out in full force in a thread and sandy said the yardie bat signal was a gyal dutty wining. LOL what's the African one?

Oh yea I'm side-eyeing all of you negroes for not providing me with fresh Black History Month information in 2014!! Y'all ain't doo-doo.

Edited by Diane (35) - Feb 18 2014 at 7:25am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 7:29am
Ululation?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System