Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Diversity in your family and extended family?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Organic Organic wrote:

India - mum
Jamaica - me
Ireland (paternal grandmother)

Indians (and some Irish) were sent to Jamaica as indentured servants and slaves (Irish and Germans were slaves in Jamaica) after the abolition of African slavery, so my family is of direct descent of that migration. My family is from Uttar Pradesh province, India and some are from Calcutta/Kolkata, India

...and if you DIDN'T know, INDIANS actually introduced marijuana to Jamaica. Smoking of the herb was used in ritualistic meditations in India for thousands of years before the servants were shipped to Jamaica. Come in like ganja farming it inna mi blood LOL. So while we mainly see the Rastafarian faith engaging in the smoking of the chalice and sensimilla, its roots (no pun intended) are actually from India.

See, I didn't know that. Those are interesting tidbits. I knew about the indian indentured servants but not Germans. vaguely heard something about irish. As for the ganja bit coming from India, I didn't have a clue! I love learning new things like that

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Nov 11 2012 at 2:23pm
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Sang is a damn lie. That ratio is way off

No it ain't.
All my dad's 11 brothers and sisters are black with black spouses.
My mom's brothers are black and one impregnated a white girl.
And one of my cousins marriage a fat white chick.
Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Organic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:24pm
No prob, JolieP!

Here is a short video on Germans in Jamaica

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:25pm
@Sang Froid: In the corner, off you go. Silly gal, LOL
Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Organic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:27pm
Many of Jamaica's popular artists are/were of Indian descent.

Two of the most popular are these folk:

Diana King - Shy Guy BOOP!BOOP! BOOP!

Super Cat  - Mud Up

Edited by Organic - Nov 11 2012 at 2:29pm
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:28pm
We don't get down with Team Swirl in my family. The only reason we have a lot of light brights is because our ancestors raped our other ancestors during slavery and what not, we also have Indian but Im hoping they didnt rape us.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:29pm

No prob, JolieP!

Here is a short video on Germans in Jamaica

Thank you! Viewing!
nikietc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikietc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:33pm
My parents are the only ones who married interracially. My dad's family is German and they married other yts (I never cared to ask what type of yt) and my mom's family is African American and they all married/had babies/messed around with other AAs.

As much as I've tried to find out, my AA history is lost. I've gotten as far as my great-grandmother (or was it great-great-grandmother?) was Native American, but no one cared to elaborate. And the older generation who would have known have all passed on. 
Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Organic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:36pm
One more tidbit, Irish Moss is a popular (yet disgusting Dead) drink in Jamaica, and it was introduced to the island by the Irish slaves. It's made from some kind of seaweed, but it's white, sweet, and clammy. I hate it, but it is very popular. Dem seh it mek man wood stan up LOL.

From what I remember we learned in school, it wasn't illegal to kill an Irish slave because they were not considered 'property' like the African slaves were. My dad's side of the the family has very Irish-looking folk, complete with the fair skin, red hair and freckles.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 2:41pm

One more tidbit, Irish Moss is a popular (yet disgusting Dead) drink in Jamaica, and it was introduced to the island by the Irish slaves. It's made from some kind of seaweed, but it's white, sweet, and clammy. I hate it, but it is very popular. Dem seh it mek man wood stan up LOL.

From what I remember we learned in school, it wasn't illegal to kill an Irish slave because they were not considered 'property' like the African slaves were. My dad's side of the the family has very Irish-looking folk, complete with the fair skin, red hair and freckles.

Just looked at it. The end kinda made me chuckle when the lady is talking about the hardships, coming from so far away, different language, different food, different skin colour... Isn't that the immigrant story worldwide, LOL.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic