Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Disproportionate # of black children in foster ca
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Disproportionate # of black children in foster ca

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lovelove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovelove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 4:40am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Sigh.
Why?

Top and bottom on all the wrong charts

Unhappy It always turns out that way.

Sponsored Links

Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 5:16am
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

The most abortions and the most number of kids in foster care eh? All righty.

Why is this so? It can't be poverty alone, because Latinos, on average, only slightly out earn Blacks. I guess it is systematic oppression (i.e. targeting Blacks via legislation, enforcement, and societal barriers). I can't see what else it could be. Help me BHM.
Lamp
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 6:52am
This is my profession. The problem is poverty and culture. African Americans are very strong minded people. A lot of times we refuse to be " told what to do" by the system, the man....your mama. Just who ever. This is intimidating to some social workers (not me) who use their authority to strike final blows to families who do not readily comply. Think about it, you have these cases in some of the worst neighborhoods and these social workers go in homes where police would only go with guns. Yeah, sometimes those cases take longer to work than others. With budgets the way they are across the country things will only get worse as we lose access to the resources that we did have to help these families. 

We have the same problem here where I live in Kentucky in a major urban city. The head of our Agency in our county is African American and has been for longer than 12-15 years and we still have very similar disparities. We had a campaign to address that was really hot a few years ago that has since slowed somewhat. 

What we did have that was great was a course for parents called "Effective Black Parenting" that we would refer some of our African American clients to. After all, a lot of black parents would often talk to me and my co-workers about different cultural values regarding children and their roles in families so they felt more comfortable going to parenting classes that recognized this. All of the clients I referred loved it. I had more positive responses to that then when I referred to mixed group parenting classes almost exclusively led by white women. 

Another issue: Counseling and mental health treatment. There is a stigma that exists in the community. Then we force families to work with therapists not of their choosing and tell them all their troubles. If I was in their shoes that might be hard for me to do too. I have had clients tell me that they didn't want some 24 year old fresh out of college person them telling them what they need to do. 

I could go on all day but I will leave it at that for now.

Never would have read that long ass article if I was not a SW lol!
loveandpeace1984 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote loveandpeace1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 7:01am
It's because the man children killing people in movies and schools but they were "Highly Intelligent" but troubled.
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 7:53am
Mz. Calizky, thanks for that detailed analysis. I read it all.
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 9:09am

Thanks I know! I got my nerve huh? lol
binky622 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote binky622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 9:12am

Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

The most abortions and the most number of kids in foster care eh? All righty.

Why is this so? It can't be poverty alone, because Latinos, on average, only slightly out earn Blacks. I guess it is systematic oppression (i.e. targeting Blacks via legislation, enforcement, and societal barriers). I can't see what else it could be. Help me BHM.

pretty much.  
binky622 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote binky622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 9:16am
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

This is my profession. The problem is poverty and culture. African Americans are very strong minded people. A lot of times we refuse to be " told what to do" by the system, the man....your mama. Just who ever. This is intimidating to some social workers (not me) who use their authority to strike final blows to families who do not readily comply. Think about it, you have these cases in some of the worst neighborhoods and these social workers go in homes where police would only go with guns. Yeah, sometimes those cases take longer to work than others. With budgets the way they are across the country things will only get worse as we lose access to the resources that we did have to help these families. 

We have the same problem here where I live in Kentucky in a major urban city. The head of our Agency in our county is African American and has been for longer than 12-15 years and we still have very similar disparities. We had a campaign to address that was really hot a few years ago that has since slowed somewhat. 

What we did have that was great was a course for parents called "Effective Black Parenting" that we would refer some of our African American clients to. After all, a lot of black parents would often talk to me and my co-workers about different cultural values regarding children and their roles in families so they felt more comfortable going to parenting classes that recognized this. All of the clients I referred loved it. I had more positive responses to that then when I referred to mixed group parenting classes almost exclusively led by white women. 

Another issue: Counseling and mental health treatment. There is a stigma that exists in the community. Then we force families to work with therapists not of their choosing and tell them all their troubles. If I was in their shoes that might be hard for me to do too. I have had clients tell me that they didn't want some 24 year old fresh out of college person them telling them what they need to do. 

I could go on all day but I will leave it at that for now.

Never would have read that long ass article if I was not a SW lol!

thanks for that.  I had some idea however, I know parenting is hard work but if you dont know better how can you do better, you have to seek help but the willingness has to be there to care enough about someone other than yourself is the first step IMO.  
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 9:22am
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

Thanks I know! I got my nerve huh? lol

It's nice to get an inside look. I can't imagine. I've heard stories from friends. You guys are such good people to go into that field. You are underpaid and under-appreciated. 
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 9:27am
The other and probably key thing is legislation/policy/law. You could have 100% black social workers and still have similar disparities because at the end of the day these agencies and workers only enforce what is on the books. I have had times where I had to substantiate abuse or neglect and I did not agree. I stated my piece which was sometimes in line with the agency opinion and sometimes not (in which  my opinion had to take a back seat). And then the final decisions about children being removed or not rests with the judge and prosecuting attorneys, not the agency. The legal system hasn't always been a fair place for black people. Just a thought. 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic