Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Differences between Italian yaki, light Yaki,etc?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Differences between Italian yaki, light Yaki,etc?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
LaurenNicole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurenNicole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Differences between Italian yaki, light Yaki,etc?
    Posted: Feb 22 2014 at 12:50am
Hey so I've heard things about italian yaki, light yaki, kinky straight, etc but I'm not sure what the differences in these hairs are? I read a bit on this but I found the info in the lace front section and I'm not sure if the wefted hair is any different from the lace fronts. Could anyone tell me what the differences are between all of these? I've also heard something about chinese and indian, what's all that about? Which texture is closest to relaxed flat ironed hair? Sorry for so many questions but I need to be educated.
Sponsored Links

_belle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote _belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2014 at 5:40am
Just like all of our hair is different, all vendor hair is different. The main difference in these textures are coarseness/heaviness. Where virgin unprocessed hair is the "lightest"/least coarse" and kinky straight/italian yaky is the "heaviest"/most coarse.

-Light yaky is kinda like diet yaky lol. its really really lightly processed but is still very silky. Doesnt need flat ironing to be straight, usually holds a curl well. Its silky and has sheen, not shine like beauty supply store hair or synthetic hair.
-Yaky is just the medium. It's processed more than light yaky, less than italian yaky/coarse yaky/kinky straight. Less sheen than light yaky, less coarse/textured than coarse yaky.
-Here's where things get tricky. . . back in the day, there was coarse yaky which was still straight, but had "texture" and coarseness but didn't swell like italian yaky or kinky staight. Now because of vendors like kinkycurlyyaki.com, folks have started using "coarse yaky" interchangeably with italian yaky/kinky straight. But again, you have to get pictures to/from your vendor. the name "coarse yaky" means different things to different vendors.
-Italian yaky is usually heavily textured but still flat irons well. Much of the italian yaky, ive experienced has  Folks usually have to look for the uniform fake looking "crimps" that vendors use to texture hair. Italian yaky, may or may not swell, its usually dependent on the vendor. It is supposed to resemble pressed out fine, natural hair. Italian yaky tends to flat iron to yaky meaning, to me at least, italian yaky is more of a "curl pattern" than a texture with a unique coarseness.
-Kinky straight, in my experience usually looks like a more processed italian yaky. The washed or unflat ironed kinky straight, looks like italian yaky. Ive found depending on the vendor, kinky straight is usually a little harder to maintain because of the extra processing. It's prone to swelling and tangling. BUT if you get a good vendor/batch, it's pretty much heaven because for me, with my natural 4a/4b hair, dark skin, and round face, its the most realistic looking straight hair. kinky straight in its natural state is supposed to resemble pressed out natural hair. For some vendors, they have either italian yaky, coarse yaky OR kinky straight but not all three so they may use the names interchangeably. . . just get pictures and ask questions. You are paying them to provide both a good AND a service. Girl get your money's worth.

As far as indian and chinese, those are supposed to be the origins of the hair. I dont think it actually comes from a person in india or a person from china, just a different moose or yak. lol. I dont mind, I think I prefer my weave from an animal and not a stranger. But indian hair is the cheapest, most readily available. Its prone to tangling, but its still better than most of whats in the beauty supply store. Chinese hair is heavier, denser. As in the individual strands are thicker and denser. Ive found that it takes much more heat to curl chinese hair, and it sometimes doesnt hold a curl. It would just rather be straight. lol. But I have found that if I want a curly style, like a kinky curl unit, chinese is the way to go. The processed curls hold better than ones I would add with a curling iron. Just a sidenote, I prefer malaysian (or whatever the vendor offers that isnt indian or chinese) for my straight units. Because I want something less prone to tangling than indian but will actually curl & hold a curl unlike ome chinese hair.

Hope that helps hon.

ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2014 at 9:39am
Very good definitions _belle.
LaurenNicole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurenNicole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2014 at 12:00pm
Thank you for the detailed reply, that was really helpful! Which would be more like relaxed hair though?
ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2014 at 2:36pm
Light yaki is like freshly relaxed hair. Yaki straight is like a relaxers after a couple of weeks
JennJenn224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JennJenn224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2014 at 2:54pm
Thank you belle… now I have a bit more clarity
kandyse1988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kandyse1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 7:29pm
thank you
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply