Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Did Your Mom Give Your Hair a Chance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
whitrhymes View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitrhymes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 9:43am
She did, I begged and begged her for a relaxer. All I wanted was a bouncy ponytail.  She wouldn't let me get one until I was in middle school. I don't think I would have minded not having relaxed hair, but my mom still had me in braids and hairballs Confused. Maybe if we'd known about all the other styling options, I would have stayed natural. 
Sponsored Links

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:17am
Yes, she did. My mom would use Henna on our hair, not sure if to keep the color dark or if to keep it soft. I hated the process because it was so annoying to have a plastic bag on my head for an hour or so, but as far as I remember, she didn't do it often.

When we were old enough to make our decisions (teens), the Henna-event ended, and my sister started to damage her hair because she would dye it different colors in a span of years, and then she just quit caring for it. Now her hair looks like sh!t, her curls are very small but the top of her head is very dry and just plain ugly, plus her hair has two different tones.

My mom hated flat ironing her hair (back in the day it must have been another tool too), so that wasn't something she did with our hair.
Princess_S View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:23am
My aunt and my gandmother did. - I wasn't relaxed until 13. 

I went to live with my mom at 13 and the 2nd day at her house she relaxed my hair and then left it up to me to come and take care after that. But she relaxed it claiming it was too thick for her to comb. She's the biggest natural hair advocate now .........go figure! smh

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:32am
My mama ain't know what she was doing. I remember hot combs for a min. I don't remember when I was relaxed.
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:39am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Yea...She didn't really want me to relax my hair but I begged her to perm my hair. I was sick of the hot comb! She kept burning me by accident with it lol

My mom took care of my hair tho. I always had edges and my hair was long. It wasn't until I started to take care of it myself and dye it, it turned to go bad lol

Yep! But mom would only allow me to get a perm once a year sometimes twice.  She monitored that. I just used a lot of heat on my hair to style it, so that was the only damaging thing I did to it other than get it permed.
indiecat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:21am
At first my mom did, ughh, she used to do my hair too tight though. I can still feel how right it was when I think about it lol. eventually, my older sister started to relax my hair though, it was because it was really long and she liked playing with my hair in different styles. The relaxing didn't prevent my hair from growing to be honest. I've always had thick and long hair until college when I stopped getting a relaxer and didn't know how to do my own natural hair for a little while.
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:32am
Yeah she did ... I wanted a relaxer , then she would only relax it every six months or so.
I was never a consistent relaxer just when I thought I needed.... Thinking back my hair was more like texlaxed because she/I would never leave it on long.
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:33am
My natural pictures of my hair when I was young looked great. Then I think I got a relaxer when I was 5.. Sleepy

My mom said all we did was cry when she would do our hair, so she put a relaxer in. She did not even have a relaxer, so of course she did not know how to take care of it.

All I remember is pink lotion and PCJ perm boxes.

When we moved from Houston to Dallas, a lady did a jericurl on my hair before my second grade school pictures. That was all she wrote. My hair went on instant decline mode.

black glue quick weaves Dead, tight ponytails etc.

My hair was a mess until college..Then I began buns and sew ins.
Then I found out about the hair boards in 2007.
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:41am
Not at f*cking all.

I have no clue why (and I mean to ask her) but my mother just kept chopping my hair off.  She refused to let me grow it, and anytime I complained about it, and said I wanted long hair, she'd shame me by claiming I must want to be White because I'm looking for long hair.

She had me believing, for years, that Black women couldn't grow their own long, natural hair unless they were doing it (without cutting) from birth, or unless they were mixed.

When she did do my hair, she used to take her frustrations on her bad days at work out on my scalp, so I have bad memories of sitting on the step beneath her while she tugged, yanked, pulled, and had me in tears.  Don't even get me started on the hotcomb, and the tips of my ears being singed. Sleepy

Edited by CLCNY20 - Jan 13 2014 at 7:00pm
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 2:49pm
There WERE no relaxers on the market when I was young. My mother used a hot comb.

I think they came along when I was in highschool .. maybe 15 or 16 and my mother had our hair relaxed.

After about a year or so I got sock of it ... I went to to barber and had it cut off to a twa and there it stayed for 30 some years.

I knew from the beginning the relaxer was bad ... kept leaving sores in my head, breaking off my hair. A mess.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jan 13 2014 at 2:52pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic