Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Did Your Mom Give Your Hair a Chance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 6:05am
Yeah, my mom was relaxed for most of her life until she cut all of her hair off. But she never not once allowed me to get one. It doesn't have much to do with a beauty standards or self love but she thought that my hair would just fall out with a relaxer. My hair was much more sensitive than hers was.
Sponsored Links

Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 6:54am
Yes... my hair was ALWAYS braided. Relaxed at 12 and she was on it, conditioner, aphogee, eggs, mayo, heating cap, etc. ... then she stopped and my hair started to break.

I asked for braids again and had them until at least 15/16. I only relaxed every few months cause I had braids and it'd be too hot for straight hair. I used to braid it up until a few years ago for the summer cause I cant take the heat. My scalp is reaaaaaally tender and the relaxed helped.

Edited by Ming - Jan 13 2014 at 6:55am
Longhairwanted8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairwanted8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 7:25am
Yep. I had to sneak and get one at the age of 16. Even then, I didn't relax again until I was 18. I thankher for it because my hair is incredibly thick. I'm still relaxed though
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 7:30am

one thing I did learn is that i'm allergic to perms.  my head would sting and burn within 5 minutes of starting the process.  Stylists would fuss at me at how i'm so tenderheaded.  fucc u want me to do?  sh*t hurt.

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 7:33am
I don't remember ever not being relaxed as a child.
K_Camille View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 7:35am
No.  My mom sucks at doing hair, and didn't care to learn.  She'd comb my hair DRY and complain, even get mad, because it was so nappy.  I was like 6, I didn't understand how that was my fault.  I don't remember how old I was when I got my first relaxer. Maybe 4-5-ish.  Hair is serious business.
Fcgriffin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fcgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 7:40am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

no she didn't.  She never did my hair bc I was nappy and tender headed.  Family members would do it but complain the whole time.  They relaxed me at like 9 but didn't keep up w it so it broke off and I stayed braided until high school...by then I had a lot of growth but didn't know how to manage it so I kept relaxing. So yeah, no chance to flourish.
Sounds like my mom. She would go months and months without touching up so my hair was always breaking off.  She also dyed my hair starting as young as 7 or 8 because she liked the color it changed to in the summer.  I know now that the color was extreme heat damage. Cry
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 8:26am
Yes! My mother put my hair in these tinnnyyyyy twists and would leave them in for months at a time.

She'd take them out, wash, and redo them. My hair grew like crazy...I wish I could find a pic.

After years of that style, I got a relaxer for 3rd grade picture day...my hair was MBL.

I don't regret getting a relaxer, I just regret not knowing how to properly apply it.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 8:53am
yea.. i was given a perm and jerri curl at a young ageOuch

Edited by coconess - Jan 13 2014 at 8:53am
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 8:54am
I had the pepermint braids, threading(african style),pigtails, hot comb for a very longtime then we wanted to get fancy and the new craze was jerry curls. I had that from 3rd grade to 7th grade, then braids then relaxers. All hayell broke loose when I started with weaves in high school. My hair grew pretty long with those Dominican wash and sets but it was thin.  I didn't know the difference between shedding and breaking at the time. Thank goodness for BHM and other hair boards.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic