BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

dick gregory on spike lee: he a punk & a thug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 3.38  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Most people will assume that the story is fictional but most people will also believe that the cushion of the story (how the Titanic sunk and other micro and macro details) are factual

How much you wanna bet that the average person thinks, for instance, that the people on board were aware of the ship hitting an iceberg and panicked getting into the life boats?

Probably many

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Word. Like some people walk out of seeing the movie Titanic with an attitude because the main plot was fiction.

I think even more people will see Django and believe cowboys blowing up people and having shootouts at a plantation to save a woman is all fictional.

Maybe a lot of people leave Django asking "did mandigo fighting happen?" but just as many ask "did that officer really commit suicide after killing an innocent person (answer is no. In real life, he was actually helping as many people as he could).
Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:19am
ok RT
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:20am

Not a literal sidekick Random

Sidekick in the sense he is not the main character, he plays the side charcter to Dr. Schultz
He is not the main character until the death of Calvin Candie
and that doesn't happen until the 3rd quarter of this movie

Btw... what kind of "main character" doesn't kill the main vilian? lmao
He kills the friggen' house slave. How lame
(and of course QT relays the message to the black viewer that our biggest enemy during slavery was ourselves. how special)

Thats not exactly true tho@ the first part.... not sure what u mean by the last part
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:21am

Not a literal sidekick Random

Sidekick in the sense he is not the main character, he plays the side charcter to Dr. Schultz
He is not the main character until the death of Calvin Candie
and that doesn't happen until the 3rd quarter of this movie

Btw... what kind of "main character" doesn't kill the main vilian? lmao
He kills the friggen' house slave. How lame (and of course QT relays the message to the black viewer that our biggest enemy during slavery was ourselves. how special)

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Gkisses said "he may have been presented as such," which corroborates what QT is saying about writing a narrative anxiety. By the time Foxx showed up to Candyland as a free man, he was no longer a sidekick. And that wasn't 75% into the movie.

If Foxx is to get nominated for any awards, he'd be getting nominated as the lead...or main character. Waltz is being nominated as a supporting character.  Nvmind. That's not really relevant to what you're saying.

And I totally disagree about him only becoming the 'main character' when Leo dies. Nope. He became the focus of the movie as soon as he got to Candyland. Leo paid ALL of his attention to Foxx. That's when Foxx started bossing around the slaves and having a bunch of dialog. That was still in the 2nd act of the movie.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Jan 16 2013 at 12:23am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:24am
I don't really care about the specifics of this movie tbh, i gave my review and opinion already. Nothing left to say

Anyways, I just think that people should think twice about insulting Spike Lee in favor of QT
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:25am
I thought HLG negated his relevancy in speaking on black issues on Bhm because of his white wife?

Or are we back to quoting that brother again?

Edited by afrokock - Jan 16 2013 at 12:27am
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:27am
I am enjoying this discussion.

Sidenote, I really like how Dick touched on the use of the word n*gger. Its true that they began the use of it in the current context and are now telling us its inappropriate to say. And having Black people buy into the notion that our use of it is what encourages their continued justification for using it. Like WTF? How did they manage to twist that sh*t around.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:27am
afro,

his opinion is not relevant to this discussion
he gave the interview with QT when QT admitted that Django is a sidekick throughout part of this movie

I kinda had to quote him too
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:29am
Originally posted by joileprincess joileprincess wrote:

Sidenote, I really like how Dick touched on the use of the word n*gger. Its true that they began the use of it in the current context and are now telling us its inappropriate to say. And having Black people buy into the notion that our use of it is what encourages their continued justification for using it. Like WTF? How did they manage to twist that sh*t around.

yes that was among many gems for me..
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:29am
Originally posted by joileprincess joileprincess wrote:

Good point.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>