Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dick gregory on spike lee: he a punk & a thug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 24>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 3.38  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:05am
I give the move 6.5 out of 10.  Master piece it is not.
Sponsored Links

Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:05am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I don't expect a QT movie to be accurate or authentic.
I don't expect movies in general to be such.
Hell not even novels are.

I understand that some ppl are uncomfortable with the movie and that's fine.

IA RT.
I understood its purpose .

We were these ppls work and plays things they did with us what they wanted.

That was the point of the fighters

Word. Like some people walk out of seeing the movie Titanic with an attitude because the main plot was fiction.
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:07am
The thing is the titantic did sink.  There was slavery.  The N word was used back then.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:07am

Henry Louis Gates: It's a fundamental trope of the genre.

Quentin Tarentino: Absolutely. So I'm falling back on that. However, knowing you have the history of cinema where, OK, this is a movie about Stephen Biko, but we're telling it through Kevin Kline's eyes -- that kind of situation -- I actually was hoping to get a little bit of narrative anxiety going on about halfway through the movie: Wait, is this just going to be Schultz doing everything? What's going on here?

Hopefully, if you're unbiased, from where I'm coming from, it makes sense how the whole first part of the story's going. But when is Django going to be the hero? Because truthfully, in the first half of the story, he is Schultz's sidekick. But to me that's OK.

BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:08am
The part when Gregory talked about a son being forced to have sex with his mother with a rag over his head really disturbed me. I never thought they would do something like that. I always thought they would force people who weren't related to have sex....smh 

Edited by BBpants - Jan 16 2013 at 12:09am
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:10am
Really I'm from the school of thought that once an author publishes his work authorial intent is dead and the audience will take from it what they will.
So at this point QTs perspective doesn't mean much on how his movie should be interpreted.
I said that same about Kola and her book.

So if g didn't see it that way then that's what she took from it.

Edited by jonesable - Jan 16 2013 at 12:16am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:11am
Most people will assume that the story is fictional but most people will also believe that the cushion of the story (how the Titanic sunk and other micro and macro details) are factual

How much you wanna bet that the average person thinks, for instance, that the people on board were aware of the ship hitting an iceberg and panicked getting into the life boats?

Probably many

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Word. Like some people walk out of seeing the movie Titanic with an attitude because the main plot was fiction.
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Henry Louis Gates: It's a fundamental trope of the genre.

Quentin Tarentino: Absolutely. So I'm falling back on that. However, knowing you have the history of cinema where, OK, this is a movie about Stephen Biko, but we're telling it through Kevin Kline's eyes -- that kind of situation -- I actually was hoping to get a little bit of narrative anxiety going on about halfway through the movie: Wait, is this just going to be Schultz doing everything? What's going on here?

Hopefully, if you're unbiased, from where I'm coming from, it makes sense how the whole first part of the story's going. But when is Django going to be the hero? Because truthfully, in the first half of the story, he is Schultz's sidekick. But to me that's OK.

Gkisses said "he may have been presented as such," which corroborates what QT is saying about writing a narrative anxiety. By the time Foxx showed up to Candyland as a free man, he was no longer a sidekick. And that wasn't 75% into the movie.
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:13am
You can keep posting that but my opinion stands...maybe I have a different view of what a sidekick is..I didnt see Django character being that.

I wouldnt call this movie a masterpiece either but Id say its worth watching. I enjoyed it for what it was....The "anger" surrounding it def helped in the box office.

Edited by Gkisses - Jan 16 2013 at 12:17am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:17am
Not a literal sidekick Random

Sidekick in the sense he is not the main character, he plays the side charcter to Dr. Schultz
He is not the main character until the death of Calvin Candie
and that doesn't happen until the 3rd quarter of this movie

Btw... what kind of "main character" doesn't kill the main vilian? lmao
He kills the friggen' house slave. How lame (and of course QT relays the message to the black viewer that our biggest enemy during slavery was ourselves. how special)

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Gkisses said "he may have been presented as such," which corroborates what QT is saying about writing a narrative anxiety. By the time Foxx showed up to Candyland as a free man, he was no longer a sidekick. And that wasn't 75% into the movie.

Edited by Alias_Avi - Jan 16 2013 at 12:18am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System