BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

dick gregory on spike lee: he a punk & a thug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 3.38  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:22pm
I personally think Spike Lee's vocal ourburts towards the work of other directors is tacky and rude; however, I can not disqualify his body of work and contributions to the artistry because of it
Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:22pm

Anyway I don't like when blacks in general publicly condemn each other

Edited by jonesable - Jan 15 2013 at 11:23pm
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

that was interesting.  got some things to research out of that clip.

spike has gone in plenty times on Tyler Perry.  Now that Tyler is slowly moving away from Madea I wonder what Spike gone criticize now?  Considering the wealth that Tyler has built I was hopin' they would come together but Spike's ego and lack of foresight buss him in his own ass.  Tyler could have been a powerful ally had Spike not let jealousy get the better of him.

history lessons

i like how he ends by saying 'you say you're glad the shooter wasnt black, instead of im sad that these things happened'
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:25pm
Speaking of two-dimensional characters. The characters in Do The Right Thing were one dimensional. They were intentionally written that way, but the people who don't like the movie (black people included) tend to be the ones who didn't understand that Spike used one dimensional characters to get across a point. I just thought its kind of funny that his magnum opus had caricature characters. 

I agree that it's significant. Classic movie. Influential. Aside from Crooklyn, I'm meh on pretty much every other Spike Lee joint. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:27pm
Afro I'm listening to it again to try and better grasp what he's saying.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I personally think Spike Lee's vocal ourburts towards the work of other directors is tacky and rude; however, I can not disqualify his body of work and contributions to the artistry because of it

am i the only one who sports (sic) the irony in this post?

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:30pm
do the right thing had stereotypes geez

im not sure how we can bring that movie up and not mention that

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:32pm
Crooklyn is about the only Spike Lee movie that I really really love. 

Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

How are "Madea flicks" even relevant to this conversation when we're discussing Spike Lee???? Confused

If you don't think Black people are better off with mutli-dimensional characters written by a Black director who casts Black actors as the MAIN characters vs. a White director who routinely uses "ni99er" in his work and casts a Black actors as side kicks and plot devices in a slave western epic than by all means, support your beloved Whitey

but why don't we stop disrespecting a man who has done a great deal for Black actors and filmmakers, whether you like his work or not.... whether you think he's "whiny" and "bitter" or not

Because you asked if we are better off...if thats the case to make then why not make that case for every movie with the use of blk ppl. Him hiring black actors dont make black ppl as a whole better off.  It may make those black actors better off but black ppl as a whole? The option of weather or not u feel he uses the N word excessive and unncessarily in his movies is a matter of opinion.

Jamie foxx was not a side kick in the flick he was much more than that. But what i do think is interesting is that blk ppl are angry at the amount of times the n-word was said in a movie that depicting slavery and are offended.....If white ppl where up and arms about it we would be saying they are trying to soften the harsh reality of what slavery was.  Now many blacks are doing that for them in a backwards kind of way.....

There were many uncomfortable scenes in the flick but slavery was just that... it was cringe worthy and disgusting. QT didnt invite this treatment... it was a reality. I can understand passing on a movie and not wanting to support it in any way but you cant your criticize does lose weight when you havent watched it and formed ur own opinion.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

do the right thing had stereotypes geez

im not sure how we can bring that movie up and not mention that

lol

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training