Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - DESTROYING natural hair in the process of SEW INS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DESTROYING natural hair in the process of SEW INS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Yellowbeauty22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbeauty22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DESTROYING natural hair in the process of SEW INS
    Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 1:31pm
Hi Everyone! So after only 3-4 weeks of my sew in installment i took it down!!! I could not deal with all of the tangling and constant matted look,even after 2 washes and conditioning. Now ive noticed that in certain areas my hair has become very thin . The last time i "relaxed" my hair was back in July sometime. Not trying to discourage anyone from weaves because I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. But it seems like my own hair is becoming very weak in the process.Maybe its my stylist? Or maybe im not taking the necessary steps to maintain BOTH mine and my weave?? Any tips ladies?
Sponsored Links

Bunnybanx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bunnybanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 4:16pm
I'm  natural too and my hair is doing really well thanks to my sew ins, maybe its how you take care of your hair while your weave is in ... whats your regimen? I use a mix of sulfer 8 grease and jbco and mn for growth and Taliah Waajid protective mist bodifier ( not the medicated one) to spray in between  the tracks on my braids. My hair is shoulder length blown out now Smile
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 6:08pm
I've been in sew ins for almost 2 years now
With no breaks except for 2 weeks ago when I wore my natural hair out. And my hair is on point.
Originally posted by darlinnic darlinnic wrote:

In 20 month transition!!

This is my first time wearing my natural hair ever.. I've been in back to back sew in's
Im in love with it.  I didn't think I would since I've been told that my hair is "unmanageable , hard to grow" "It's not good hair"

"Look at me now"

1. Purchase quality hair for your installs. It's an investment
2. Don't sew in too tight
3. You know what, go to the weave newbies section and they have a 101 thread for weaves and how to take care of them. Spend some time there.

See which rules you didn't follow and apply them next time.
Or read it and then come back to this thread because you will have a better understanding.

Darlinnic
solena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 7:08pm
try blowing out your hair before braiding and you may need to do a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing dc before and after your install. you may be experiencing a little breakage at the line of demarcation or it may just be regular shedding.
always use a cheap conditioner on your braids after taking down install, let it sit for about 30 mins then remove your braids with a wide tooth comb and detangle well before washing also moisturize and seal your hair underneath your weave also sew under your braids and not through them.
blackarosoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackarosoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:02pm
If youstill have issues than i suggest to wear a wig half wig or what so ever.
I had the same issues, i am natural and my hair kept breaking so i stopped sewins and start wigging it. Ad first i didnot like tbe idea i thought that wigs were for people who had no hair. But after this forum i am in love with them. My hair is growing like crazy and its healthy and thick.

Think about it.
BoutThatLife View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoutThatLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:10pm
I experienced growth AND thinning with sew-ins. Growth because it's a protective style but thinning because when you braid your real hair down but SEW the weave on top of it, that causes thinning and damage. I think thats really inevitable. you should try clip ins
Yellowbeauty22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbeauty22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:31am
Thanks you guys!!! I am 4 months post relaxer. Not sure when im going to relax it . Im definitely gonna try more weaves but fow im really focused on strengthning and vrgrowing my hair back out so when I do get another sew in my hair will flourish an grow more.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Yellowbeauty22 Yellowbeauty22 wrote:

Thanks you guys!!! I am 4 months post relaxer. Not sure when im going to relax it . Im definitely gonna try more weaves but fow im really focused on strengthning and vrgrowing my hair back out so when I do get another sew in my hair will flourish an grow more.
For sure stop the weaves, yes a weave will allow your hair to grow undisturbed, however it will not grow to its fullest by covering your scalp with artificial hair even if it is good quality hair. A better style will be to choose a wig, that you can take off while at home or on your day offs. This will allow your scalp to receive better oxygen. I wore weaves for many, many years off and on and yes my hair grew long, but I didn't realize my hairs full potential until these past two years of not wearing extensions, I realize my hair has thickened up by 30%, this is because for the first time in years, I was no covering my hair with braids or weaves. There is a huge difference, with weaves you will get length, but with just taking care of your hair and allowing it to breathe and feel the elements some your will achieve length as well as thickness. When I was younger I was told I had thick hair, but as I got older, I said my hair is not thick, it is average density. But now I see that my hair really is thick....So you are the right track in giving up the weaves, or maybe only putting them in for 3 months out of a year 6 weeks at a time. Blessings!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Veemack - Nov 23 2012 at 10:52am
Leezylocs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leezylocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:28pm
You could try closures with your sew ins and buying human hair that last you a year or 2. Do give your hair a break in between sew ins. Also dont over do it, putting 4 or 5 bundles in a time. I have thin hair and i never have leave out and i always as for a net to cover my real hair. And use oils that have no vasaline or mineral oil in it. Hope this helps
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by blackarosoe blackarosoe wrote:

If youstill have issues than i suggest to wear a wig half wig or what so ever.
I had the same issues, i am natural and my hair kept breaking so i stopped sewins and start wigging it. Ad first i didnot like tbe idea i thought that wigs were for people who had no hair. But after this forum i am in love with them. My hair is growing like crazy and its healthy and thick.

Think about it.

I switched to wigs, too, and never looked back.  Best investments i've ever made when it came to my hair journey!

I noticed that weaves weren't made for ladies with fine hair.  Many of us can't have the best of both worlds.  If you're hair is too fragile and can't hold the weight of the tracks, PLUS the hair itself?  Then try something different.  Wigs are great protective styles, give far more versatility, and are a lot cheaper than weaving.

I, too, had trepidation about wearing a wig.  Whelp! my SO finally "let loose" and told me about my weaves. He was finally relieved that i wear wigs that are far more "natural" than the weaves i wore when we first met.

In his "hour of honesty" he stated that "Well, at least NOW when the wind blows your don't have a big as&*& track trailing along your forehead showing the whole world that you have a WEAVE."

ConfusedLOL

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System