Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Describe the Black Experience as you know it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:58am

We're powerful when we stand together and destructive when we don't.

Sponsored Links

purple.chuckz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 8:07am
Working my ass super hard just so I can be on par with the most average white person.

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 8:10am
Originally posted by purple.chuckz purple.chuckz wrote:

Working my ass super hard just so I can be on par with the most average white person.

Ain't that the truth. Pisses me the hell off. I know I'm better at my job than a lot of the white fools I've worked with but that didn't stop the discrimination from making my head spin.
Im_oh_so_hott View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Im_oh_so_hott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 8:23am

This

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

We're powerful when we stand together and destructive when we don't.

And

I think desegregation had a terrible effect on the Black community.

honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 8:32am
Seeing as how I was born and raised in Atlanta, I have had nothing but the black experience. I grew up in a middle class all black neighborhood, all black friends, all black schools, went to an HBCU, and now about to have a career in black corporate.

My parents were conscious people and they were in the military, so I knew about African American history, world history, business, politics, and general etiquette. In school, I was the odd ball because I didn't "act black" according to my peers. I experiened this from elementary well into high school. It wasn't until I went to an HBCU where I met black people from different backgrounds that I could relate to more.

Dad grew up in ATL too, but Mom grew up around nothing but white people in Texas/New Mexico, so she knew how they operated and gave me advice on how to handle them lol. She also expressed that she noticed how black southerners were intimidated and didn't know how to speak when white people talked to them. That frustrated her so bad.

My aunt had friends of many different races/cultures because she traveled extensively and knew 5-6 different languages. I'm trying to be like her lol

Now that I'm older, I want to branch out and experience the world myself. It will help me have a healthy outlook on life while still having pride in my race, culture, and identity thanks to my upbringing.
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Im_oh_so_hott Im_oh_so_hott wrote:

This

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

We're powerful when we stand together and destructive when we don't.

And

I think desegregation had a terrible effect on the Black community.

Indeed
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 10:42am
My earliest memory of race? In assembly, the headteacher asked the question "what is race?" And me being the smartie pants 7 year old  I was stuck my hand up and said "a race is something you run.Approve Cool " LOLLOL

But seriously, I was always exposed to my culture as a Yoruba/Nigerian--my folks made sure of that...I remember getting shouted at by my mum when I spoke to her in English once, I must have been about 8.

I was always taught that if I wanted something, I was gonna have to work ten times harder than any white person to get it. 

So that made me take school very seriously, there were two other girls (white) in my year who had the same first name as me, I was 'Cherry, the quiet one who always got top grades.'

I don't know what age, I really started to understand that people would hate you for the colour of your skin only. 

One of my younger cousins who was 7 at the time told me about how English football players were pelted with bananas last year, his innocent self thought it was funny and silly--he didn't understand the implications behind it at all. I really didn't have the heart to explain everything to him.Cry

texasmami0117 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote texasmami0117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 11:02am
I've always had to think about being black unfortunately. I was never black enough and got teased for "talking like a white girl" (code for talking proper english), actually I still get teased for that. I actually had a mexican girl tell me she was more black then me.

I'd say the black experience is constantly trying to prove something to someone (of any race) who will define you regardless. Trying to regain an identity that was stolen from you and prove to yourself that the black sterotype isn't true.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 11:07am
Talking formal English in informal settings is very wierd to me.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 11:17am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Talking formal English in informal settings is very weir to me.

Indeed.
If I do it around my friends it's because I'm being a smart ass. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>